Turn on thread page Beta

Asperger / autism testing as an adult. watch

I know asperger's is a disorder rather than mental health problem but I don't know where else to post.

It has been suggested to me a few times throughout my life that I may be on the autistic spectrum. I never thought much of it because I always thought I was just shy, socially awkward and depressed.

I've had lifelong problems with social interaction, from my earliest memories. I have various other traits and sensory issues that would tie in with asperger's. Even my parents think I was a bit 'different' as a child, but it was put down to shyness and bad behavior.

Now once again it has been suggested to me I might be on the spectrum, but this time it was a doctor.

My question is it worth trying to get diagnosed as an adult? It seems it may be a long and difficult process that involves detailed tests and going over childhood development (potentially traumatic).

But if I am on the asperger's scale it would explain so much and give me a reason why I don't quite fit in, despite my best efforts.

ReputationRep:
    Well known test in Psychology

http://kgajos.eecs.harvard.edu/mite/

(Original post by hellodave5)

i scored 19 / 36 for what it is worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i scored 19 / 36 for what it is worth?
    For comparison I scored 27-29 when I did it.
    Average is 24 - 26.
    19 is very low, and would probably be confirmatory. Though not a flawless test I'm sure, though have forgotten about its merits - tho think it is seen as a rather valid test, and is used in a huge amount of research.

EDIT: if you didn't understand any of the (rather elevated) words they use, that may have influenced the result.

ReputationRep:
    33/36 is that good or bad?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

http://personality-testing.info/tests/EQSQ.php

This is used more for AS/High functioning autism I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    also about your question i think you should get tested if you think i would be helpful/confirming to know whether you have it or not (which it may well be)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Forgot about that!
    Nice one

For comparison I scored 27-29 when I did it.
    Average is 24 - 26.
    19 is very low, and would probably be confirmatory. Though not a flawless test I'm sure, though have forgotten about its merits - tho think it is seen as a rather valid test, and is used in a huge amount of research.

EDIT: if you didn't understand any of the (rather elevated) words they use, that may have influenced the result.
    I understood the words but when it came to figuring out the emotions displayed I was purely guessing at many of them to be honest. I did some other quiz online and scored 'badly' as well but how valid it is I don't know.

(Original post by Asklepios)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I scored badly for both aspects of that test, I must be an idiot.

Your Empathizing Quotient is 8. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 29. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for analysing and exploring a system".

I actually study computer science so I would have said my ability to explore a system is good?

ReputationRep:
    I understood the words but when it came to figuring out the emotions displayed I was purely guessing at many of them to be honest. I did some other quiz online and scored 'badly' as well but how valid it is I don't know.
    Apparently the test has very good accuracy. But then again, my girlfriend also scored rather low on the eyes test too - but she has better social skills than I in many respects.

You sound like you function well generally, and that all is well. Nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Do the reading the mind in the eyes test- Baron-Cohen et Al, it is seeing if you can read emotions of people by black and White photos of their eyes. The theory is that children read the expressions of their mother in her eyes which is where people get basic emotion recognition. Personaly I don't think having autism would be very helpful to you and so I wouldn't seek a diagnosis
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Well I scored badly for both aspects of that test, I must be an idiot.

I actually study computer science so I would have said my ability to explore a system is good?
    Well the classical Asperger's phenotype would be low EQ and high SQ. Since you have low in both sections, one possibility is that you're just really modest. I mean it is a self-reported questionnaire.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that getting a diagnosis at this stage would be either beneficial or disadvantageous to you. You seem to be doing fine. If it's a cause you're after, autism/Asperger's syndrome has a wide range of neurological causes, so you won't get a clear, definite cause from a diagnosis.

ReputationRep:
    getting a diagnosis of aspergers can help in that its helpful to understand yourself

Please, Dont test yourself or self diagnose yourself of autism

Autism is a bad disease, i have it and it HAS RUINED MY LIFE.

Dont be obessed of finding whats wrong with you, getting a diagnosis makes the situation worse because the stigma it comes with makes down syndrome look like an angel disorder.

You sound like you function well generally, and that all is well. Nothing to worry about.
    I don't know where you got that idea from? As I said in my first post I've always had social difficulties and depression for as long as I remember.

I have no friends, literally not 1 and I haven't for years. And it isn't for lack of trying.

I'm not functioning well and this might explain why.

Please, Dont test yourself or self diagnose yourself of autism

Autism is a bad disease, i have it and it HAS RUINED MY LIFE.

Dont be obessed of finding whats wrong with you, getting a diagnosis makes the situation worse because the stigma it comes with makes down syndrome look like an angel disorder.
    Is asperger syndrome really classified as a disease?

Anyway I have decided to ask about getting tested. I think it could help me understand myself and the stigma of having asperger's would be preferable to being labelled incompetent, lazy and depressed.

ReputationRep:
    Is asperger syndrome really classified as a disease?

Anyway I have decided to ask about getting tested. I think it could help me understand myself and the stigma of having asperger's would be preferable to being labelled incompetent, lazy and depressed.
    No, a syndrome or disorder.

If you think it might help then go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    An autistic spectrum label is useful if it helps you - and it sounds as though it might, in which case as morgan8002 says, go ahead. You can talk to a potential assessor about whether it would be useful, and what would or could happen next, if you are diagnosed as having an ASD.

Remember, as a spectrum, we are all on there somewhere. Also remember that if you are given an ASD diagnosis, you do not have to keep the label for ever - use it where it helps YOU. If you are in further education it helps you get some help while there, and extra time in exams, if you also suffer from anxiety, or some obsessive-compulsive behaviours (you can have these without having OCD itself). In my experience, an initial diagnosis can be a bit traumatic, but after a little time, it can help you understand yourself, which can be very helpful.

I don't like the D at the end of ASD - 'disorder' - I have a son on the autistic spectrum (diagnosed as a teen - til then just thought of as shy), and I prefer to think of it as having brains that work differently. He isn't good at social interaction, doesn't always understand what people mean when they aren't straightforward and logical, but is gifted with the ability to manipulate 3D shapes in his head better than I will ever be able to.

Don't think of people like me as 'normal' and people with a touch of autism as having a 'disorder' - I am just 'neurotypical' while your brain works differently.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.