Turn on thread page Beta

dropping out of a levels! to do an apprenticeship? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I got good gcse grades in 2013 and after studying a levels for three months that year, I dropped out and worked because I was suffering with depression and didn't have a stable head, I was confused and stressed so I thought I'd work and reapply for September 2014. I then only picked three a levels instead of four because I moved and the small town college has less than 15 a level option...I wanted to do French at uni but the college didn't offer it so I haven't been able to do it so my teachers send us off to the computer room all lessons or let us leave hours early and I can't just do home study or distance learning because 1 I don't enjoy any of the a levels I am studying 2 I can't afford to pay for the seperate exam entries 3 I am unmotivated because my family life is emotionally draining and I have no friends because the town I moved to is miles from civilization...
    Basically I have always loved the idea of pursuing a radio career or a production career in the media industry so I am so fed up I want to dropout again and start an apprenticeship - the thing is I don't want to seem like a loser two time dropout failure to employers and I also can't find placements because of how secluded the town I live in is (I have no way of paying for travel, my family struggle with money and I can't drive because I can't afford lessons) An apprenticeship would solve a lot but my applications get declined once the employers see how far I live compared to other applicants...
    Am I just a complaining loser with no prospects?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, the most important thing:
    I dropped out and worked because I was suffering with depression
    If you're not seeing any doctors, make sure you try and get an appointment as soon as you can. If you're attending therapy already (and maybe taking medicines for depression, if your doctor thinks it's a good idea) then keep at it. I'm very sorry to hear that you suffered/are continuing to suffer, but keep going. It will get better.

Now, onto your question.

French at uni but the college didn't offer it so I haven't been able to do it
    You don't need to go to college to learn a language. I've heard good things about Duo Lingo, which can help you (re-)learn the basics and start you on your way to learning French in your spare time. If you catch on then maybe you can start buying more advanced French textbooks and continue your education. I'm not sure how you can get a grade in a subject if you can't take it at your local college, but maybe there are other ways to get certified. And anyway, if you do apply for university, hit up one of the French professors and talk to him/her in your best French. If you're fluent enough, maybe they can sort something out for you.

I can't afford to pay
    etc. etc.

You might be able to qualify for certain government benefits. I don't really know a lot about what you can/cannot claim, but you should be able to get a bus pass or some form of transport grant to go to college/wherever your apprenticeship is being taught. I don't know the procedures for claiming such benefits but you might get a response by writing to your council or enquiring at the college.

I am unmotivated because my family life is emotionally draining and I have no friends because the town I moved to is miles from civilization...
    Loneliness sucks. I'm sorry to hear about your current predicament, but you can always make friends on the Internet. A good chunk of mine live all around the world but I still consider them closer than some of my real life friends. Engage in or start discussions on this website, or go on other forums that you think might interest you. Nothing beats physical communication and contact, but the Internet's a great place for networking.

Basically I have always loved the idea of pursuing a radio career or a production career in the media industry
    The media can be a pretty cool place to work in, but make sure that you know what you're getting into. Working in radio shows don't pay that much, and working for big newspapers/magazines/whatever can be difficult and takes time. But if you're still into that kind of stuff, go ahead!

I don't want to seem like a loser two time dropout failure to employers
    You probably won't. I can't say for all employers, but if you've got semi-decent results in some exams (if you've managed to take any) on top of a good apprenticeship, then it makes you look like a MORE appealing candidate. Your skills relating to the field you want to work in come first - the rest is just a bonus.

but my applications get declined once the employers see how far I live compared to other applicants...
    Maybe. This is more of an incentive to do really well with your apprenticeship, since if you truly shine then they're going to take you on if you can get to work on time. You might be able to move out and live somewhere closer - write to your council to see if they can support you financially, or check https://www.gov.uk/ to see what kind of benefits you might be able to take for a while. There's no shame in taking benefits if you've a good reason (and you do, in your case) and you'll end up putting more back into the system if all goes well.

Am I just a complaining loser with no prospects?

Nope. You're just a guy/girl in a tight spot with good prospects that just needs a little help to get going. It may take a lot of work, but I think your aspirations are reachable. Do some more research and think about what you want to do. You have plenty of time.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Anaask

First of all, I would like to reassure you, that you are definitely not an loser with no prospects, the fact you reapply to A-level again after your first year drop-out, due to medical reasons and the fact that you actively seek out alternatives to A-levels shows determination and conscientiousness. Plz don't beat yourself down.

I understand the reason behind why you say the fact you drop out of 6th form twice might impact on your application, HOWEVER you can always put an spin on those experiences....as in you can make positive implication from those experiences...for example you can say the fact that you drop out of 6th form twice, make you realize that academic is not for you and the fact the optimal learning method for you is practicals and doing things 'hand-on', this demonstrate to employer that you have make the best out of those experience to understand yourself more..... Another example you can use the fact that you reapply to Sixth Form despite your initial illness to show them that you know how to deals with setbacks in life....which shows maturity to potential employers.

In terms of finding apprenticeship, I can only advise to stay resilient and keep looking...I am sure there will be smaller firm (where the competitions are not so fierce) out there that would be willing to accept you on board, if you can show them your shear passions and you can always explain to them your current situations....they might not be able to accept you due to the distance....but they might be able to refer you to someone else who might just be the person you need.

As long as you have passion for what you are doing, I am in no doubt you will be very successful in it....
    Good luck with whatever you chose to do

I hope I helped

--Marvel

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.