Turn on thread page Beta

I challenge computer experts to help me solve this problem (Please!) watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had problems with browsing the internet with my ASUS laptop (i5, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1) since I bought it over a year ago.

Everything else about the laptop is fine, perfect while using Office, Itunes, photos, Spotify etc. But browsing the internet I have big problems. For the past year while using any browser, it has been very slow accessing webpages, opening new tabs, when typing there is lag etc.

I have tried almost everything to get it fixed: using an external USB wifi device, it's not a problem with router/internet connection, no viruses etc. Last week I decided to reset Windows 8, deleting everything on the hard drive and reinstalling. For the first couple of days everything was fine but now the problems have started again. When I try and access a web page it often takes a few seconds to even respond, when I try and search Google using the address bar in Chrome it will say 'about:blank' for a bit before returning the results.

I just did a ping test on www.google.com and two of the times were about 2000ms, and the other two were 25ms.

Worth noting is that before I purchased this laptop, I had to return a SONY laptop as it had a faulty wifi adapter. When I set up this current laptop I used my Microsoft account and it remembered some of the settings from the faulty laptop, so I wonder if this has anything to do with it. When I reset it last week I had intended to use a different account but it automatically used my account when setting itself up so I was not given this option.

So to sum up: Laptop that is really slow while browsing the internet but is otherwise fine. Wifi adapter, network and viruses are not to blame. Help! Thanks.

Edit: Should have said that this problem varies in intensity - sometimes it is not so bad, sometimes it is unbearable.

ReputationRep:
    Here's my two cents :

Issue doesn't seem to be Software based at all, due to sys restore etc.

At first I'm thinking ping, which you've mentioned to be 2K twice, and that's probably a key factor. Perhaps there's fluctuations in your latency. Who is your ISP btw?

As for hardware, well I'm sure your capabilities are above the requirements to do something simple like search the web, so this takes me to the final culprit; the wireless component in the laptop. You've stated that you've had the laptop for quite a while so I'm thinking that the issue is with the component.
    Besides if you're able to browse on your phone then ping isn't such a huge factor, even at 200 you should be able to browse web pages (its only a huge issue with gaming but that's not your case..)

Have you ever dropped the laptop or hit something by it, that's perhaps what may have damaged the wireless component?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inc0gnito)
    Here's my two cents :

Issue doesn't seem to be Software based at all, due to sys restore etc.

At first I'm thinking ping, which you've mentioned to be 2K twice, and that's probably a key factor. Perhaps there's fluctuations in your latency. Who is your ISP btw?

As for hardware, well I'm sure your capabilities are above the requirements to do something simple like search the web, so this takes me to the final culprit; the wireless component in the laptop. You've stated that you've had the laptop for quite a while so I'm thinking that the issue is with the component.
    Besides if you're able to browse on your phone then ping isn't such a huge factor, even at 200 you should be able to browse web pages (its only a huge issue with gaming but that's not your case..)

Have you ever dropped the laptop or hit something by it, that's perhaps what may have damaged the wireless component?
    Hey, cheers for the reply. At home my ISP is BT, but the problem is just the same when I'm at university, or anywhere else.

The reason why I don't think it's caused by the wireless component is that I bought an external USB wifi adapter to try, and the problem was exactly the same with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnny)
    Hey, cheers for the reply. At home my ISP is BT, but the problem is just the same when I'm at university, or anywhere else.

The reason why I don't think it's caused by the wireless component is that I bought an external USB wifi adapter to try, and the problem was exactly the same with that.
    Ah yes, you did mention, apologies for that. I honestly think that it's a fault in a hardware component then, something besides the the WiFi adapter seeing as anything related to firmware was wiped right? Or did you restore to a backup after reinstalling win 8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inc0gnito)
    Ah yes, you did mention, apologies for that. I honestly think that it's a fault in a hardware component then, something besides the the WiFi adapter seeing as anything related to firmware was wiped right? Or did you restore to a backup after reinstalling win 8?
    I used the Reset function on Windows 8 and nah I didn't restore to a backup. However I signed into my Microsoft account when setting it up and had hoped that I'd be given an option to not use my backed up settings, but when it started up my old desktop photo was there straight away. But I think that only basic settings are backed up to Microsoft accounts?

ReputationRep:
    I've had problems with browsing the internet with my ASUS laptop (i5, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1) since I bought it over a year ago.

Everything else about the laptop is fine, perfect while using Office, Itunes, photos, Spotify etc. But browsing the internet I have big problems. For the past year while using any browser, it has been very slow accessing webpages, opening new tabs, when typing there is lag etc.

I have tried almost everything to get it fixed: using an external USB wifi device, it's not a problem with router/internet connection, no viruses etc. Last week I decided to reset Windows 8, deleting everything on the hard drive and reinstalling. For the first couple of days everything was fine but now the problems have started again. When I try and access a web page it often takes a few seconds to even respond, when I try and search Google using the address bar in Chrome it will say 'about:blank' for a bit before returning the results.

I just did a ping test on www.google.com and two of the times were about 2000ms, and the other two were 25ms.

Worth noting is that before I purchased this laptop, I had to return a SONY laptop as it had a faulty wifi adapter. When I set up this current laptop I used my Microsoft account and it remembered some of the settings from the faulty laptop, so I wonder if this has anything to do with it. When I reset it last week I had intended to use a different account but it automatically used my account when setting itself up so I was not given this option.

So to sum up: Laptop that is really slow while browsing the internet but is otherwise fine. Wifi adapter, network and viruses are not to blame. Help! Thanks.

Edit: Should have said that this problem varies in intensity - sometimes it is not so bad, sometimes it is unbearable.
    Have you tried a different browser?

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happens with mine.

I was thinking background applications that also use internet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Have you tried a different browser?
    Yep, I've tried both Firefox and IE. Same problem unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    I used the Reset function on Windows 8 and nah I didn't restore to a backup. However I signed into my Microsoft account when setting it up and had hoped that I'd be given an option to not use my backed up settings, but when it started up my old desktop photo was there straight away. But I think that only basic settings are backed up to Microsoft accounts?
    Yes I think you might be right with the whole Microsoft and Windows 8 settings thing. Best way to test this is perform a backup asap and then restore to factory, but don't use that email, just use a temporary one or guest (can't remember how it works on Win8) but see if that alleviates the issue, if not then I'm afraid you'd have to look into replacing a component after diagnosis of the entire laptop or buying another all together...

ReputationRep:

Have you considered booting up from an operating system installed on a flash drive and using a browser on the alternative OS? This is the perfect way of helping you decide if the issue is software or hardware related.

What anti-virus / firewall software are you using? Have you tried using different products? Maybe your security software is not playing nicely.

Have you tried accessing the internet using a friend's ISP to eliminate ISP issues?

Have you considered using alternative DNS servers to resolve names? Try opendns's servers to see if it changes anything.

When logged into the router, have you looked at the number of dropped packets? Have you considered taking the router out of the equation and connecting your machine directly to the ISP modem?

Have you used alternative browsers to Chrome such as Firefox or Maxthon?

I would install Process Explorer from Microsoft as an investigative tool BTW. When you start your browser, it can provide you with a lot of information, more so than the default task manager.

Have you considered booting up in safe mode to see if it changes anything?

Have you considered changed your cabling - a rare issue but nonetheless, it is possible it may also cause a problem.

Have you checked that your RAM is OK - download some memory testing software to check for this. Also run, disk checking software to check that there is no corruption on the hard drive.

ReputationRep:

Check the ping with the cable plugged in. Be sure to do a few tests. Try a speedtest on wifi vs cable. If there is a difference, then you may want to consider whether changing the router channel could help.

ReputationRep:
    considering that this has been happening for a while and you've only had it for just over a year, it definitely sounds like a hardware problem. I'd contact the manufacturers. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Basically - reinstall a fresh, clean copy of Windows (by reformatting the drive COMPLETELY), and only the essential drivers required to get your WiFi card working.

If browsing is still slow, and it is not your internet connection, then call Asus for a warranty repair.

ReputationRep:
    Try typing the following in to the command line:

Code:
    netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
    If that doesn't work, let me know.

ReputationRep:

Go to Asus website, make an account, register the laptop using the s/n, etc
    After that it should provide you with the correct info in regards to the laptop.
    Go to the download section and download all the latest drivers for each component.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    What anti-virus / internet security program do you have installed?
    It does sound similar to malware or an accumulation of temporary files.

I always suggest downloading a program called CCleaner. There is a free version.
    Once installed, you just need to press the Analyse button and it will show you all temporary files and how much space it is taking up. The other button is the Clean button. You can view all the files it has found before and click and clean each category or or all.

ReputationRep:
    Try to change your DNS servers to googles. Go to the wireless networking tab via control panel, right click and you will see the IPV4 protocol, change the DNS Servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 after that fire up CMD and type in ipconfig /flushdns

Let me know if that works.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.