International Student Transferring to UK Uni

Watch
StrangeBlueEgg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey Guys!

I can't seem to find a lot of info on this online so I thought I would ask it here. Im an international student from Asia currently going to uni in the US as a first year, and I want to transfer into a UK uni as a second year. I'm not really sure how to go about doing this?

I've taken GCSE and IB courses before, but I'm just wondering how my credits/units in the US would translate into the UK system since the US unis tend to use GPAs.

I'd really appreciate all your responses!
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by StrangeBlueEgg)
Hey Guys!

I can't seem to find a lot of info on this online so I thought I would ask it here. Im an international student from Asia currently going to uni in the US as a first year, and I want to transfer into a UK uni as a second year. I'm not really sure how to go about doing this?

I've taken GCSE and IB courses before, but I'm just wondering how my credits/units in the US would translate into the UK system since the US unis tend to use GPAs.

I'd really appreciate all your responses!
I think it would be very difficult to do this. Universities are not obliged to take transfer students into second year, and generally will only do so if they think your first year work has covered everything (or at least nearly everything) they would have covered in first year. Due to the differences between the UK and the US system, it's very unlikely you would achieve this.

The US system is broad based, and in your first year, you'd take a range of classes on a range of subjects- some required for your major, some not. In the UK, you'd study the subject you've chosen to study only, maybe with one or two elective modules. The different systems suit different people, but it would make it very hard to transfer between them.

I think you need to be contacting any UK universities now, to see if this would be an option.

Alternatively, could you find a course in the US that allows you to do a year abroad in the UK?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (24)
17.65%
I'm not sure (3)
2.21%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (45)
33.09%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.21%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.85%

Watched Threads