Turn on thread page Beta

Why are Americans so ignorant ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a Canadian who noticed that Americans when they use the term "asian" they mean east asian people from the orient. However, when you look at the US census bureau they include indians and pakistanis into the asian-americans ethnicity. In Canada, when we use the term "asian", depending on the province, for the most part we have to say west asians for the arabs, south asians for indians and pakistanis, east asians for the orientals and north asians for japanese and koreans. Aren't we all asians from the middle east to japan? Thank God the rest of the world, and the British specifically, are very clear and precise on racial classification, and nomenclature.]

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to work on making your thread titles more specific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyui12345)
    I am a Canadian who noticed that Americans when they use the term "asian" they mean east asian people from the orient. However, when you look at the US census bureau they include indians and pakistanis into the asian-americans ethnicity. In Canada, when we use the term "asian", depending on the province, for the most part we have to say west asians for the arabs, south asians for indians and pakistanis, east asians for the orientals and north asians for japanese and koreans. Aren't we all asians from the middle east to japan? Thank God the rest of the world, and the British specifically, are very clear and precise on racial classification, and nomenclature.]
    I have never before heard anyone use the phrase 'North Asia', let alone categorise Korea and Japan as in it as opposed to in East Asia, nor have I ever heard anyone use the phrase 'orientals' without it being a) rather un-PC and b) a collective term for East Asians (which, again, includes Koreans and the Japanese).

ReputationRep:
    If you are in the uk or euripe for that matter then you are right ronove. But thats what it is in Canada haha

ReputationRep:
    they probably prefer the home counties

ReputationRep:
    i am just looking for input that's all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyui12345)
    I'm American and I live in an area where there are a fair amount of Asians. When I, and other people in MY area say the term Asian, it tends to refer to people from the Middle East (but most Middle Easterns tend to refer to themselves as Middle Eastern) to as far as South East Asia.

As someone who is ALSO Japanese in terms of ethnicity and nationality, not sure why you'd lump us as "North Asian". Never heard that term, and quite frankly, most North East (that's China, Taiwan AND the two Koreas along with Japan) Asians identify by nationality.

ReputationRep:
    Because the majority of Asians who came to the states are from the Eastern portion(though that is starting to change). Also, in Canada, asians make up a higher percentage of the population, which inlcude a significant portion from south asia, thus making Canadians more aware of Asians outside east asia than Americans would be.

Note: Your thread title is misleading btw, bit confusing, be more specific next time :/

ReputationRep:
    I thought Asian referred to everyone who wasn't white...

I'm not even American!!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.