The Student Room Group

Do you think you are going to get an offer?

Poll

Do you think you will get a Cambridge offer?

Now that CAFs and UCAS are all completed, the waiting game begins.

Already there have been debates over what to put in the 'General' box on the SAQ. Soon the interview invitations will start arriving, fingers crossed. And then interview preparation may start.

But let's skip forward to the New Year: at this moment in time, considering your enthusiasm for both Cambridge and your subject, your previous examination performance, strength of personal statement & references, amount of wider reading and your likely performace in any interviews, do you think you will be made an offer?

Please be honest - no self-pitying 'I'm looking forward to getting my rejection letter' comments. I think it would just be really interesting to see how confident and honest applicants are at this nerve-wracking stage in the process. And I totally understand if this poll gets no contributions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I don't think you should be thinking about this right now.

Yeah, maybe your aim is to get an offer, but seriously the preparation that you go through will be the most intellectually inrcedible journey ever, not least because it (should be) self-motivated. I've never been so clever as in the 2 weeks in the run-up to my Oxford interview, still am not.
This is a bit pointless...
a) Everyone is going to be really humble and 'oh I'm no good, honest!'
b) No-one really knows for sure what the interview will be like
c) No-one knows how many candidates there are and how strong they are in comparison.
Can there be an "I'm already there and want to laugh at you guys stressing" option :p:
Reply 4
omg, 100% no's.
I guess I'm the only optimistic one here :p:. You can never be sure about getting an offer, but I've got a very strong application and I think I'll interview well, so I'm fairly confident about my prospects.
Reply 6
Im known as a complete pessimist, but if you expect the worst, you can never be let down, only pleasantly surprised. Thats kinda how I see most things in life, including my Cambridge application. However for me, its *extremely* hard to be confident but realistic and the same time.

And in case anyone comments on the quote in my sig, its just pep-talk :smile:
Reply 7
Chumbaniya
I guess I'm the only optimistic one here :p:. You can never be sure about getting an offer, but I've got a very strong application and I think I'll interview well, so I'm fairly confident about my prospects.

This is exactly how I feel - I've done almost everything I can to strengthen my application pre-interview, and will hopefully come across well if I actually do get an interview. But I'm nervous about voting yes just in case I tempt fate!
Yes, I think I will be offered a place but low self-confidence has never been a fault of mine. My biggest fear is getting offered a place and having to reject it due to financial issues.
Reply 9
Chumbaniya

lol well...

Yes, you probably will get an offer. However, thats not the hard part for you, is it? :p:
Reply 10
People keep telling me that I have a good chance of getting an offer just because Japanese doesn't have many applicants.

But I hoenstly think I won't get an offer. My AS grades are my main disadvantage :frown: and also I expect all the other applicants will be Japanophiles.
Reply 11
Chumbaniya

no, you won't get an offer. you have to post in the maths forum frequently to stand a chance. admissions tutors lay low in it, scouting for talent.
I have no idea, myself. Considering my school, my GCSE and AS results are very good (apart from my RS UMS, which are the only thing I'm worried about results-wise. :frown:) Regarding interview, I haven't the foggiest if they'd reckon I'd be good. I'll wait and see. I'm not counting on anything. Cambridge would be nice, but I'd be more upset if I didn't get an offer from York, to be honest... I liked it better as a place. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Just sit tight and wait, you have to be pretty good otherwise you wouldnt have applied, work on A levels instead - just think how many people missed offers you will kick yourself sh*tless if you become on of them.

On a brighter note - did anyone else see Robinson get slaughtered on UC?

Wangers
chewwy
no, you won't get an offer. you have to post in the maths forum frequently to stand a chance. admissions tutors lay low in it, scouting for talent.

Argh! Ruined! :p:
Wangers

Wangers

lol yes i saw that. i've never seen university challenge before in my life but i thought seeing as I'm applying to Cambridge I might watch a bit...seriously they were really bad
Surely everyone who has applied thinks they have at least some chance of getting in if not they wouldnt have applied in the first place!
Jigglypuff
This is a bit pointless...
a) Everyone is going to be really humble and 'oh I'm no good, honest!'
b) No-one really knows for sure what the interview will be like
c) No-one knows how many candidates there are and how strong they are in comparison.

This.
Reply 18
Wangers

Wangers

yeah. my friends' brother and a former old boy of my school was on the durham team. the one on the left that answered all the questions.

which reminds me - i'm in a general knowledge competition AGAINST this same friend soon. argh.
Reply 19
*points at the sig*

Latest

Trending

Trending