Do you re-wrap your presents and give it to someone else? Watch

stargirl63
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been doing this for a while, and when I told one of my friends, she thought it was a rude an ungrateful attitude to have towards gift giving, thought that counts, cheap etc.

Here's the thing, if I don't like my gift, and another of my friends may like the gift more, surely it's not rude to re-wrap it and give it to them. It's brand new. Not been used. Seal hasn't broken, it's just been unwrapped.

As well as this, it means I save my time having to shop for someone else and money, when there's a perfectly good gift which I don't want. Not to mention my room isn't cluttered with things I'm not using. I do this a lot to perfumes, or general hand/body lotion gift sets, bath gift sets, make up (there's usually a set brand I like to use), scarves (I have 4 already), bags, jewelry etc.

I had my birthday a month ago, and Christmas just gone - so I have a load of gifts ready to re-wrap for the birthdays/celebrations I'm invited to this year. I may even use the same gift bag it came in.

Does anyone else do this?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm lucky in that the majority of gifts that I get are great, but on the odd occasion someone gives me something I'm really not going to use, I see nothing wrong in giving it to someone else at some point. Surely it's better doing that than it just sitting there never being used, or being thrown away?

When I get someone a gift, I do so because I want to give them something that they can use. If they use it themselves then that's great - but if they gift it to someone else then that's also fine, because it means they don't have to spend money on another gift, so the gift I gave them was still useful. Hope that makes sense haha.

EDIT: Just make sure there are no labels on the things, and also that you don't give them straight back to the same person they came from in the first place!
beckaroo7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've only done this a couple times. I feel bad doing it but as long as the person doesn't find out there's no harm in it really
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I usually get a few from my family and give them to friends (not under any pretenses) or to charity shops... I know that's bad but otherwise they will just sit in a draw unused. At least this way they do get used.
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
EDIT: Just make sure there are no labels on the things, and also that you don't give them straight back to the same person they came from in the first place!
Oh! Haha, this has just reminded me. Once a friend gave me some chocolates for my birthday. I had so many of them I didn't want them all, so I gave a box to my mum alongside another present I got her.

My mum was really chuffed... until two days later when I got a phone call and I'd been busted because inside, the chocolates had Happy Birthday Jack written on them!!
LeaX
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not really, most of my presents are something I really like. Although I have re-gifted selection boxes and other chocolates before.
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did it once actually, it was more for the novelty factor, I really planned it out.

It was a school secret Santa gift and I kept it for the year and sent it the next year.
EloiseStar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally I wouldn't do it. I guess I've been lucky getting gifts that I like.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by stargirl63)
I've been doing this for a while, and when I told one of my friends, she thought it was a rude an ungrateful attitude to have towards gift giving, thought that counts, cheap etc.

Here's the thing, if I don't like my gift, and another of my friends may like the gift more, surely it's not rude to re-wrap it and give it to them. It's brand new. Not been used. Seal hasn't broken, it's just been unwrapped.

As well as this, it means I save my time having to shop for someone else and money, when there's a perfectly good gift which I don't want. Not to mention my room isn't cluttered with things I'm not using. I do this a lot to perfumes, or general hand/body lotion gift sets, bath gift sets, make up (there's usually a set brand I like to use), scarves (I have 4 already), bags, jewelry etc.

I had my birthday a month ago, and Christmas just gone - so I have a load of gifts ready to re-wrap for the birthdays/celebrations I'm invited to this year. I may even use the same gift bag it came in.

If you are careful you don't even need to rewrap the gift... just remove the label with your name. Make sure you know what is in the parcel tho'
llamaspoon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I always do it with body wash sets etc. I can't actually use most of the ones I receive (eczema), so I don't see why they should sit unused when someone else could use them.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My sisters and I do it all the time with presents we hate. We don't want to keep them, yet we don't want to chuck them, so the next best option is to give them to people who might like them.
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Heck no. The most I've ever done is give somebody else a bottle that was given to me by work/a friend/a colleague. I'd never re-wrap an actual present.
Emily.97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha, I definitely don't do this. I see the logic in it, although it may come across as a little insensitive to the person who has bought the gift for you. If i found out someone had did that with what i got them, i think i'd be a little offended.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely re-wrap them and pass them on... you can think of it as giving to charity, your own charity by saving your own money...
queen-bee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

But somebody took their time and effort into selecting and buying a gift for you!!! I would feel bad hence why i have never done so.
stargirl63
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by queen-bee)
But somebody took their time and effort into selecting and buying a gift for you!!! I would feel bad hence why i have never done so.
How do you know they didn't just recycle their generic gift?
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I've done this a couple of times

Posted from TSR Mobile
queen-bee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How do you know they didn't just recycle their generic gift?
Oh,good question 😳
laurensmiley97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not ones that friends/ close family have got me because generally what they get me has some thought behind it so I really like it! However, my mum's a primary school teacher so at the end of the year she's always inundated with gift sets and bottles of wine - my sister and I usually use some of these for those friends who are really hard to buy for
garfeeled
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
depends on the cost and sentimentality of the gift. Most gifts it wont be a problem, but with expensive gifts or those with great thought into the them it could be taken as offensives by the giver.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1629)
78.92%
Leave (435)
21.08%

Watched Threads