Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Just a quick question - is any kitchen equipment / are mugs etc. provided at all in the gyp rooms?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulgarity)
    Hello!

Just a quick question - is any kitchen equipment / are mugs etc. provided at all in the gyp rooms?

Thanks.
    You get 2 hot plates, a minfridge, a sink, a kettle, a toaster.

You need to bring plates, mugs, pans, cutlery.

ReputationRep:
    yay, my big info pack from clare has finally arrived. I'm in room X10, anyone else heard yet?

ReputationRep:
    Oooo exciting, I forgot New Court was gonna be for 1st years!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in S1, anyone know which court that is in? I'm very excited now, it's starting to feel very real. Can't wait .

phil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InVinoVeritas)
    I'm in S1, anyone know which court that is in? I'm very excited now, it's starting to feel very real. Can't wait .

phil.
    S1 is in Ashby. S and T are known as the musical staircases and the people who live there tend to be quite cool. :yep:

There's also a "ghost" room, S13, where nobody lives. On the directory on the ground floor, there's a running joke in that a fictional character is listed as the occupant of S13 - last year it was 'A Dumbledore' and the year before it was Borat. I wonder who it will be this year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chess Piece Face)
    S1 is in Ashby. S and T are known as the musical staircases and the people who live there tend to be quite cool. :yep:

There's also a "ghost" room, S13, where nobody lives. On the directory on the ground floor, there's a running joke in that a fictional character is listed as the occupant of S13 - last year it was 'A Dumbledore' and the year before it was Borat. I wonder who it will be this year...
    Musical staircases? Yay, my limited musical ability will be even more evidently lacking! I'm guessing it's because I said I wanted to play my guitar. Sounds cool though, thanks for the information.

phil.

ReputationRep:
    S1 is the room my college wife had - it's really nice. Quite 'normal sized' with a really good ensuite.

ReputationRep:
    Musical staircases? Yay, my limited musical ability will be even more evidently lacking! I'm guessing it's because I said I wanted to play my guitar. Sounds cool though, thanks for the information.

phil.
    Heh, I worried about the same thing this time last year (and I also wrote on the form that I wanted to play the guitar), but you don't need to worry. While the 'proper' instrumentalists in Clare are ridiculously good, there were lots of amateur/casual guitarists like me, even on the musical staircases - in fact, especially on the musical staircases!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    S1 is the room my college wife had - it's really nice. Quite 'normal sized' with a really good ensuite.
    Yay . 'Normal sized'? And thank you chess piece face, my lack of attention to both guitar and piano playing over the last couple of years has been shocking .

phil.

ReputationRep:
    Yay . 'Normal sized'? And thank you chess piece face, my lack of attention to both guitar and piano playing over the last couple of years has been shocking .

phil.
    It's the standard Clare size. It's not a particularly big room but big enogh to be functional to all your needs.

ReputationRep:

phil.
    Sorry I got your room mixed up. You have a huge room with a living room and ensuite.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I got your room mixed up. You have a huge room with a living room and ensuite.
    Whey! Parties at mine :p:. Thank you guys for your help, getting very excited. Can't wait to meet you all in October .

phil.

ReputationRep:
    This may seem like an odd request but can anyone just post on this thread if they receive any correspondence from Clare? I'm on 'holiday' atm, and thought I could get away by checking Facebook and asking people if they've received anything, but it turns out Facebook is 'unavailable' where I am :|...

ReputationRep:
    Whey! Parties at mine :p:. Thank you guys for your help, getting very excited. Can't wait to meet you all in October .

phil.
    I was in S1 for my interview. Very nice place.

Now on K3 -- computer rooms, score.

Question: What do we need to wear under gowns? I've tried to do some research, but haven't been able to find anything particularly specific beyond "dark suit".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timotiis)
    I was in S1 for my interview. Very nice place.

Now on K3 -- computer rooms, score.

Question: What do we need to wear under gowns? I've tried to do some research, but haven't been able to find anything particularly specific beyond "dark suit".
    Is that not specific enough? Wear a dark suit.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, just a normal suit like you'd wear to work/sixth form if you had to wear suits. It's not black tie (although things like Small Hall and May Balls are, but don't worry about that at this stage!)

Oh and I used to be on K! I don't know whether it's still like that but K3 is the strange room with lights that make it look like an office....!! But it's a lovely sized one with a nice view of Thirkill Court!

ReputationRep:
    Question: How does food work at Clare or at Cambridge all together? I've noticed sometimes at Clare there are not any breakfast menus. How are you supposed to eat then? and furthermore, do we pay for the term and then have to pay more for each individual meal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supa360)
    Question: How does food work at Clare or at Cambridge all together? I've noticed sometimes at Clare there are not any breakfast menus. How are you supposed to eat then? and furthermore, do we pay for the term and then have to pay more for each individual meal?
    You pay for all meals on your card which gets billed at the end of term. Unfortuantely you pay at the start of term and then pay on top of that. It's a **** system that many people hate, and it ends up making you obliged to eat the food they serve (which personally I think is horrific). I ended up self catering for much of first year.

Breakfast is the same every day -> cereals and milk, fruit, yoghurt, bacon, sausage, egg, fried bread or toast and baked beans, each item being billed separately. It runs from 8-9 and the cooked items are put out at 8.30.

Very few people go to breakfast, most do without or eat in their rooms.

ReputationRep:
    You pay for all meals on your card which gets billed at the end of term. Unfortuantely you pay at the start of term and then pay on top of that. It's a **** system that many people hate, and it ends up making you obliged to eat the food they serve (which personally I think is horrific). I ended up self catering for much of first year.

Breakfast is the same every day -> cereals and milk, fruit, yoghurt, bacon, sausage, egg, fried bread or toast and baked beans, each item being billed separately. It runs from 8-9 and the cooked items are put out at 8.30.

Very few people go to breakfast, most do without or eat in their rooms.
    I went to breakfast twice.

And then gave up. Generally, people sort themselves out.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.