The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Clare College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Hello!

Just a quick question - is any kitchen equipment / are mugs etc. provided at all in the gyp rooms?

Thanks.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Vulgarity
Hello!

Just a quick question - is any kitchen equipment / are mugs etc. provided at all in the gyp rooms?

Thanks.

You get 2 hot plates, a minfridge, a sink, a kettle, a toaster.

You need to bring plates, mugs, pans, cutlery.
Reply 902
yay, my big info pack from clare has finally arrived. I'm in room X10, anyone else heard yet?
Oooo exciting, I forgot New Court was gonna be for 1st years!!
I'm in S1, anyone know which court that is in? I'm very excited now, it's starting to feel very real. Can't wait :smile:.

phil.
InVinoVeritas
I'm in S1, anyone know which court that is in? I'm very excited now, it's starting to feel very real. Can't wait :smile:.

phil.

S1 is in Ashby. S and T are known as the musical staircases and the people who live there tend to be quite cool. :yep:

There's also a "ghost" room, S13, where nobody lives. On the directory on the ground floor, there's a running joke in that a fictional character is listed as the occupant of S13 - last year it was 'A Dumbledore' and the year before it was Borat. I wonder who it will be this year...
Chess Piece Face
S1 is in Ashby. S and T are known as the musical staircases and the people who live there tend to be quite cool. :yep:

There's also a "ghost" room, S13, where nobody lives. On the directory on the ground floor, there's a running joke in that a fictional character is listed as the occupant of S13 - last year it was 'A Dumbledore' and the year before it was Borat. I wonder who it will be this year...

Musical staircases? Yay, my limited musical ability will be even more evidently lacking! I'm guessing it's because I said I wanted to play my guitar. Sounds cool though, thanks for the information.

phil.
S1 is the room my college wife had - it's really nice. Quite 'normal sized' with a really good ensuite.
InVinoVeritas
Musical staircases? Yay, my limited musical ability will be even more evidently lacking! I'm guessing it's because I said I wanted to play my guitar. Sounds cool though, thanks for the information.

phil.

Heh, I worried about the same thing this time last year (and I also wrote on the form that I wanted to play the guitar), but you don't need to worry. While the 'proper' instrumentalists in Clare are ridiculously good, there were lots of amateur/casual guitarists like me, even on the musical staircases - in fact, especially on the musical staircases! :smile:
The West Wing
S1 is the room my college wife had - it's really nice. Quite 'normal sized' with a really good ensuite.

Yay :smile:. 'Normal sized'? And thank you chess piece face, my lack of attention to both guitar and piano playing over the last couple of years has been shocking :frown:.

phil.
InVinoVeritas
Yay :smile:. 'Normal sized'? And thank you chess piece face, my lack of attention to both guitar and piano playing over the last couple of years has been shocking :frown:.

phil.

It's the standard Clare size. It's not a particularly big room but big enogh to be functional to all your needs.
InVinoVeritas

phil.

Sorry I got your room mixed up. You have a huge room with a living room and ensuite.
The West Wing
Sorry I got your room mixed up. You have a huge room with a living room and ensuite.

Whey! Parties at mine :p:. Thank you guys for your help, getting very excited. Can't wait to meet you all in October :biggrin:.

phil.
Reply 913
This may seem like an odd request but can anyone just post on this thread if they receive any correspondence from Clare? I'm on 'holiday' atm, and thought I could get away by checking Facebook and asking people if they've received anything, but it turns out Facebook is 'unavailable' where I am :|...
Reply 914
InVinoVeritas
Whey! Parties at mine :p:. Thank you guys for your help, getting very excited. Can't wait to meet you all in October :biggrin:.

phil.

I was in S1 for my interview. Very nice place.

Now on K3 -- computer rooms, score.

Question: What do we need to wear under gowns? I've tried to do some research, but haven't been able to find anything particularly specific beyond "dark suit".
timotiis
I was in S1 for my interview. Very nice place.

Now on K3 -- computer rooms, score.

Question: What do we need to wear under gowns? I've tried to do some research, but haven't been able to find anything particularly specific beyond "dark suit".

Is that not specific enough? Wear a dark suit.
Yeah, just a normal suit like you'd wear to work/sixth form if you had to wear suits. It's not black tie (although things like Small Hall and May Balls are, but don't worry about that at this stage!)

Oh and I used to be on K! I don't know whether it's still like that but K3 is the strange room with lights that make it look like an office....!! But it's a lovely sized one with a nice view of Thirkill Court!
Reply 917
Question: How does food work at Clare or at Cambridge all together? I've noticed sometimes at Clare there are not any breakfast menus. How are you supposed to eat then? and furthermore, do we pay for the term and then have to pay more for each individual meal?
supa360
Question: How does food work at Clare or at Cambridge all together? I've noticed sometimes at Clare there are not any breakfast menus. How are you supposed to eat then? and furthermore, do we pay for the term and then have to pay more for each individual meal?

You pay for all meals on your card which gets billed at the end of term. Unfortuantely you pay at the start of term and then pay on top of that. It's a **** system that many people hate, and it ends up making you obliged to eat the food they serve (which personally I think is horrific). I ended up self catering for much of first year.

Breakfast is the same every day -> cereals and milk, fruit, yoghurt, bacon, sausage, egg, fried bread or toast and baked beans, each item being billed separately. It runs from 8-9 and the cooked items are put out at 8.30.

Very few people go to breakfast, most do without or eat in their rooms.
The West Wing
You pay for all meals on your card which gets billed at the end of term. Unfortuantely you pay at the start of term and then pay on top of that. It's a **** system that many people hate, and it ends up making you obliged to eat the food they serve (which personally I think is horrific). I ended up self catering for much of first year.

Breakfast is the same every day -> cereals and milk, fruit, yoghurt, bacon, sausage, egg, fried bread or toast and baked beans, each item being billed separately. It runs from 8-9 and the cooked items are put out at 8.30.

Very few people go to breakfast, most do without or eat in their rooms.

I went to breakfast twice.

And then gave up. Generally, people sort themselves out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending