Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else hopefully studying Music here next year?? :flute:

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Please could somebody tell me what the music practise rooms are like at Clare?

I've just got my accommodation form and I'm trying to decide whether I should say I'm going to bring my electric drum kit with me. I would definitely like to bring it if there is no drum kit on site!

Anybody had this problem before with drumming at uni?

p.s. I'm a Spanish and ab inito Russian applicant for 2012

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodrummer)
    Hi

Please could somebody tell me what the music practise rooms are like at Clare?

I've just got my accommodation form and I'm trying to decide whether I should say I'm going to bring my electric drum kit with me. I would definitely like to bring it if there is no drum kit on site!

Anybody had this problem before with drumming at uni?

p.s. I'm a Spanish and ab inito Russian applicant for 2012
    There's a drum kit in the practise rooms, but bands sometimes take it (or parts of it) for gigs/rehearsals, so it won't be there 24/7.

EDIT: Congrats on your offer, good choice of college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark13)
    There's a drum kit in the practise rooms, but bands sometimes take it (or parts of it) for gigs/rehearsals, so it won't be there 24/7.

EDIT: Congrats on your offer, good choice of college
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    hey which is the best college out of the following to do modern and medieval laguages? clare college, fitzwilliam college, kings college, st catherine's college, selwyn college, or trinity college?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone I'm a soon to be Clare fresher, but I haven't recieved any information on when to move in or about my accomodation yet. Is this normal? When does it usually arrive? Should I call someone? Also what's the best way to decorate your room with pictures, considering the college isn't keen on blue/white tack? Someone mentioned a picture rail- sorry if it's a stupid question but how does that work?
    Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meena373)
    Hi everyone I'm a soon to be Clare fresher, but I haven't recieved any information on when to move in or about my accomodation yet. Is this normal? When does it usually arrive? Should I call someone? Also what's the best way to decorate your room with pictures, considering the college isn't keen on blue/white tack? Someone mentioned a picture rail- sorry if it's a stupid question but how does that work?
    Thanks xx
    I am also soon to be a Clare fresher and haven't received any info about accommodation yet either so I wouldn't worry I think they said something about it coming in early September. I can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattbattison)
    I am also soon to be a Clare fresher and haven't received any info about accommodation yet either so I wouldn't worry I think they said something about it coming in early September. I can't wait!
    Awesome, thanks for letting me know I'm really excited too! What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks xx
    I'm also clueless about this picture rail situation! I presume it's nailed to the wall? Surely that's worse than blutack! Although someone told me we get a corkboard so lots of photos can go on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodrummer)
    I'm also clueless about this picture rail situation! I presume it's nailed to the wall? Surely that's worse than blutack! Although someone told me we get a corkboard so lots of photos can go on that.
    A picture rail is a wooden rail attached to the wall usually about 1 ft below the ceiling. You put hooks like this: http://www.willowandstone.co.uk/cms-...il-hooks_1.jpg on the rail and then suspend your pictures/posters from that. Prevents you from sticking anything to the walls.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thanks for letting me know I'm really excited too! What are you studying?
    Natural Sciences hopefully doing Chem,Phys,Maths,CompSci. How about you?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattbattison)
    Natural Sciences hopefully doing Chem,Phys,Maths,CompSci. How about you?
    English I was kind of a Maths geek before I chose the English path so I always get a bit jealous when someone tells me they're doing Maths and Physics! :P How are you feeling these days about starting? I keep fluctuating between bouncing-off-the-walls-excitement and curl-into-a-ball-in-the-corner-nervousness...

ReputationRep:
    English I was kind of a Maths geek before I chose the English path so I always get a bit jealous when someone tells me they're doing Maths and Physics! :P How are you feeling these days about starting? I keep fluctuating between bouncing-off-the-walls-excitement and curl-into-a-ball-in-the-corner-nervousness...
    Hehe quite a big change!! :P
    Yeahh I'm feeling the same! I went shopping today for stuff for my room; it's all starting to feel a bit more real Have you heard from your 'Mum' and 'Dad' yet?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    --RANDOM QUESTION FOR CLARE PPL--

Why is the college perceived to be 'difficult' to get into? Arguably for Natural Sciences at least it is pretty standard if not slightly 'easier' than other colleges, the applicant per place ratio is usually around 3.2-3.5 applicants per place (for natsci) and that is actually relatively good to say a ratio of 4.5/5 at Kings.

E: checking the statistics a little more I can understand why it may be considered a difficult college, for some subjects it is almost 7 applicants per place, yet natural sciences seems to have a relatively low ratio across most colleges surprisingly...

ReputationRep:
    ^^^^^^^ Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mekinfibious)
    --RANDOM QUESTION FOR CLARE PPL--

Why is the college perceived to be 'difficult' to get into? Arguably for Natural Sciences at least it is pretty standard if not slightly 'easier' than other colleges, the applicant per place ratio is usually around 3.2-3.5 applicants per place (for natsci) and that is actually relatively good to say a ratio of 4.5/5 at Kings.

E: checking the statistics a little more I can understand why it may be considered a difficult college, for some subjects it is almost 7 applicants per place, yet natural sciences seems to have a relatively low ratio across most colleges surprisingly...
    Comparing the number of applicants per place when you don't know the quality of the applicants is constant isn't very useful. Cambridge has roughly 5 applicants per place across the board, while Bristol have 10 applicants per place, this doesn't mean Bristol is harder to get into.

Basically, don't play the numbers game, just find a college you like and apply to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mekinfibious)
    ^^^^^^^ Anyone?
    I think you might have answered your own question.

ReputationRep:
    Magdalene 4 lyfe!

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering if anyone here could help

I'm looking to apply for Land Economy for 2013 start and i'm considering Clare!

Are there good/okay self catering facilities?
    How much is the rent? I keep seeing different things- i'm looking to go as cheap as possible

Is Clare a middle size college? In your opinion?

Basically, anything you can tell me about clare would be amazing as i don't have the opportunity to visit before applying

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.