Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ^Who's asking for more rights ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_chauffeur)
    ^Who's asking for more rights ?
    Im not asking for more rights. I was just saying that the we cant say what we want and our free speech is being taken away whilst being accused of racism in the process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luton666)
    Im not asking for more rights. I was just saying that the we cant say what we want and our free speech is being taken away whilst being accused of racism in the process.
    What makes you think that ?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone can watch the debate again here
    Thanks so much! Rep for you after midnight! <3

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think that ?
    Well its not that i think it. I can unfortunatly see it. Take for example quotas in local government and the police force. They have to have a certain amount of ethnic minorities. In almost all cases it is an unfair reputation of society of a whole. Thus minorities are over represented just because they are minorities. So people say they are racist for this against white people. But then they are called racist for not taking them. The point im making is it isnt a particular minority that is causing the problems. It people patronising the minorities by giving them more than is fair. (again i dont want to sound racist )

ReputationRep:
    The only special treatment minorities get are those quotas. But it all equals out in the end. Theres been loads of studies showing that employers would much rather pick whites over minorities for jobs.

ReputationRep:
    The only special treatment minorities get are those quotas. But it all equals out in the end. Theres been loads of studies showing that employers would much rather pick whites over minorities for jobs.
    That might be true but when you want to be in one of those jobs with the quotas and you are white where is the justice in that?? It should all be equal. Not communist style equal but ya no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luton666)
    That might be true but when you want to be in one of those jobs with the quotas and you are white where is the justice in that?? It should all be equal. Not communist style equal but ya no
    Where's the justice for the black guy who didn't get the job because he was black ?

see it all equals out

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal society, employers would choose the person who was actually best for the job, regardless of their ethnicity. However, research has shown this is rarely the case, and often employers will favour applicants of similar ethnicity to themselves; this is why quotas exist. It's usually the Daily Mail that just blows this out of proprtion as "Damn Ethnics Stealing Our Jobs".

ReputationRep:
    Employers should be allowed to purchase labour of a certain "colour", that is their right. Sometimes someone of a certain race will have a higher marginal output precisely due to their race.

ReputationRep:
    Where's the justice for the black guy who didn't get the job because he was black ?

see it all equals out
    What i mean is if there is a genuinly qualified white person for the job but a lightly less qualified person of a different race, in order to fill the quota the person of different race will be hired. But if, say, i lost a job to another person regardless of race then i wouldnt feel as hard done by than if it was because i was white, or im sure as a black person would feel if he didnt get a job because he was black.

(Original post by City bound)
    Employers should be allowed to purchase labour of a certain "colour", that is their right. Sometimes someone of a certain race will have a higher marginal output precisely due to their race.
    Yea i agree, fair enough if they are more qualified or better suited to the job.

ReputationRep:

see it all equals out
    How exactly does harming one person who HAPPENS to be the same colour as someone who harmed a person who HAPPENS to be of another colour, in order to benefit another who HAPPENS to be the same colour as that victim amount to "equalling out".

Does the same apply to the white victim of a racist murder because there has been a black victim of a racist murder also?

ReputationRep:

see it all equals out
    where the justice for the white guy who was better qualified but didnt get the job because some PC muppet gave a boss a quota

I felt sorry for the woman at the end who said "what about our rights britain is a christian country" and got booed. When all she did was give her opinion. a pretty good example the majority free speech is not respected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    How exactly does harming one person who HAPPENS to be the same colour as someone who harmed a person who HAPPENS to be of another colour, in order to benefit another who HAPPENS to be the same colour as that victim amount to "equalling out".

Does the same apply to the white victim of a racist murder because there has been a black victim of a racist murder also?
    (Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
    where the justice for the white guy who was better qualified but didnt get the job because some PC muppet gave a boss a quota

I felt sorry for the woman at the end who said "what about our rights britain is a christian country" and got booed. When all she did was give her opinion. a pretty good example the majority free speech is not respected
    I'm not trying to defend this system because of the way it discriminates, but it is needed to help minorities get that extra leg-up they need prosper the same way whites have.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to defend this system because of the way it discriminates, but it is needed to help minorities get that extra leg-up they need prosper the same way whites have.
    No it isn't. It isnt needed at all. It may HELP them to get where they might not otherwise, but then so will any favoritism.

The notion that minorities NEED to be discriminated in favour of in order to progress is implicitly insulting.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.