Turn on thread page Beta

Extreme Marriage Age Gap ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it weird and kinda wrong for someone to marry a person 30 years younger than themself ?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by the bear)
    Is it weird and kinda wrong for someone to marry a person 30 years younger than themself ?
    Hm, they're both consenting adults so their love shouldn't be judged really.

But it is an unusually wide age gap. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It just seems a bit ewwwww.... the older spouse depriving the younger one of the pleasures of youth

ReputationRep:
    It just seems a bit ewwwww.... the older spouse depriving the younger one of the pleasures of youth
    It makes you wonder what their motives are. For the elderly gentleman it would be loneliness and status of having an attractive woman by his side until death. Could also be his last chance to produce an heir (see: Peter Brimelow, had two children at 60~ with a woman age 21). The young female can make a quick buck. Perhaps a cynical view.

The elderly female needs a provider and someone willing to do her work. If she hasn't had children she won't have them unlike the elderly gent, so you can throw that out the window. She doesn't want the loneliness and she can be sure the younger man will be capable of taking care of her until death.

Could also be a self-esteem issue, in both scenarios. The elder establishing dominance in a relationship they'd be unable to if they were on equal footing, age-wise.

Eh, I dunno. Why do you think it happens?

As to whether I think it's right that it happens: you can't stop these people. They'll do what they like, and it may work for them. But I don't think it's a healthy environment to be raising children in.

ReputationRep:
    Have you started this thread because of the recent announcement that Stephen Fry is to marry his (27 y/o) boyfriend?

It's 'unconventional', but I don't think it's really for us to judge. If they're happy, does it matter? As the above poster says, they're both consenting adults.
    You say the older one deprives the younger of the 'pleasures of youth' almost as though this latter has no say in it.
    Edit: http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...lliott-spencer - Link to an article on said engagement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HigherMinion)
    It makes you wonder what their motives are. For the elderly gentleman it would be loneliness and status of having an attractive woman by his side until death. Could also be his last chance to produce an heir (see: Peter Brimelow, had two children at 60~ with a woman age 21). The young female can make a quick buck. Perhaps a cynical view.

The elderly female needs a provider and someone willing to do her work. If she hasn't had children she won't have them unlike the elderly gent, so you can throw that out the window. She doesn't want the loneliness and she can be sure the younger man will be capable of taking care of her until death.

Could also be a self-esteem issue, in both scenarios. The elder establishing dominance in a relationship they'd be unable to if they were on equal footing, age-wise.

Eh, I dunno. Why do you think it happens?

As to whether I think it's right that it happens: you can't stop these people. They'll do what they like, and it may work for them. But I don't think it's a healthy environment to be raising children in.
    It is understandable if the elderly spouse is very rich; that would certainly overcome many of the normal obstacles to a wide age gap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mogwai98)
    It's 'unconventional', but I don't think it's really for us to judge. If they're happy, does it matter?
    This idea that judging people is wrong or that we shouldn't do it is just silly. Democracy is all about deciding what is right and wrong for others to do.

Stephen Fry, eh?

Obviously they're consenting adults so it's all technically fine, but I still think it's gross. I'm not sure what the younger guy sees in Fry ... :erm:

ReputationRep:
    30 year age gap is disturbing,I think 15 should be the maximum

ReputationRep:
    So weird tbh when he's 80, you'll be 50 just odd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Stephen Fry, eh?

Obviously they're consenting adults so it's all technically fine, but I still think it's gross. I'm not sure what the younger guy sees in Fry ... :erm:
    ermm Happy New Year MM !! :hugs:

i feel pretty much the same as you do.

ermm Happy New Year MM !! :hugs:

i feel pretty much the same as you do.
    Same to you, my favourite bear! :bigsmile: :bear:

ReputationRep:
    (n/2)+6 is the classic rule :beard:

ReputationRep:
    I have feelings for an older man. I used to have the same opinions as you before I met him. Please don't judge.

ReputationRep:
    Thats older than my parents' age gap from me!!

More than 6 years gap is too much for me personally

ReputationRep:
    As long as they love each other I don't think an age gap of thirty years should matter at all. Yeah, there will be issues with the older one potentially dying earlier but surely the years spent together is better than not to have them at all. To say it's gross just infuriates me... A loving relationship with this age gap is better than a violent one where the couple have a smaller age gap. Also, surely it's better to raise a family in a loving environment than a dysfunctional one, even if the parents are only two years apart in age. It's the 21st century and people can do what they want, we should respect this and stop judging!

ReputationRep:
    When they got kids older than their wife its ****ing weird

EDIT: Poster above is deluded. It's unethical and unnatural, who wants to marry some saggy old man? Not in human nature.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend whose 25 and her partner is 63, they seem so loved up!

It does not really matter as long as the relationship is built on a healthy foundation, not like a sugar daddy or using someone to progress in a career!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceJJFish(II))
    When they got kids older than their wife its ****ing weird

EDIT: Poster above is deluded. It's unethical and unnatural, who wants to marry some saggy old man? Not in human nature.
    Surely someone who believes that relationships are based around 'looks', "saggy old man" rather than more intrinsic (and important) qualities is just as deluded as I am... It's just my opinion and I respect that others disagree and that you're entitled to your own view. Out of interest, what's unethical about such an age gap?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree more

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.