Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've never built a PC before and so i want to build one mainly to play games and watch films. I already have 3 full HD monitors, hard drives, keyboard and things like that.
    I already have a PC that has an i3, 4gb of Ram but it is way too slow for me. Im not fussed about whether i get new or used parts to build the PC.

Anyone got any advice or help they can give please

ReputationRep:
    Do you have much memory free on your hard drive and what operating system are you running?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthechaos)
    Do you have much memory free on your hard drive and what operating system are you running?
    On the pc i got at the moment i have about 375gb free and running windows 7 ultimate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazza1)
    I've never built a PC before and so i want to build one mainly to play games and watch films. I already have 3 full HD monitors, hard drives, keyboard and things like that.
    I already have a PC that has an i3, 4gb of Ram but it is way too slow for me. Im not fussed about whether i get new or used parts to build the PC.

Anyone got any advice or help they can give please
    Are you wanting to game across all 3 monitors (making a resolution of 5760 * 1080)?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking you could salvage RAM, optical disk drive and all HDD from the current PC. Maybe the CPU, depending on which games you want to play and what resolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Are you wanting to game across all 3 monitors (making a resolution of 5760 * 1080)?
    I would like to be able to play across at least 2 of them, ive got 2 set up on my current pc but the one connected via my VGA port looks crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    I'm thinking you could salvage RAM, optical disk drive and all HDD from the current PC. Maybe the CPU, depending on which games you want to play and what resolution.
    I apparently only have 3GB ram in my PC atm, ive already got a 1tb hard drive that i would want to use. I want to be able to play shadow of mordor, sims 4 and some slightly older games. Would like to be able to play them in as high resolution as i can
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    x
    Any advice that you can give in particular?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to be able to play across at least 2 of them, ive got 2 set up on my current pc but the one connected via my VGA port looks crap
    Do you have a budget?

Can you make a nice, clean list of any parts you can reuse?

ReputationRep:
    VGA always looks crap in comparison to DVI connections.

Let's start with a budget? When you say as high a resolution as you can, are we talking 1920x1080? Or as Mikey asked, will you be gaming across all 3 monitors, thus the resolution becomes 5760x1080?
    3GB RAM? I would imagine in a 2GB + 1GB stick configuration. Could still use them or just buy an 8GB set.

Does this current machine have a half decent PSU by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the VGA looks so bad but its better than only having one screen. I'll probably be gaming across 2 monitors so that would make the resolution 3840 x 1080. 3GB ram yeah its an old PC I got like 4 years ago when I knew nothing and went ohhh blue light on the PC pretty ill buy it.
    My current PC has nothing decent in, its a tiny tower maybe about 1/3 the size of my friends gaming pc.

The parts i currently have and could use would be:
    1tb hard drive,
    3GB Ram
    and there maybe a few spare computer parts lying around my room but its not much

Im hoping it wont cost more than £3/400 as im not fussed about if i use second hand parts or not

ReputationRep:
    What graphics card do you have now? Do you want to keep it or get a new one? If you can afford it i would get a mid range i5 and more Ram, up to 8GB if you can; 3GB will bottleneck you if you like having multiple programs open at once or are playing more modern games.

An SSD for your OS and other programs you use often can also help a ton; 128GB SSD's are only around £50 these days, there isn't much need to get a higher storage one, and you can use your 1TB drive as secondary storage.

Upgrading to windows 8.1 would be great too, it addresses a lot of the issues 8 was released with and it feels a lot more solid, but maybe you should hold back if your budget is £400. Also what motherboard have you got?

ReputationRep:
    The graphics card is a integrated Intel GMA HD card. Im going to need to get a new one as its not amazing. Would you say getting an i7 would be better or is it only worth it if im going to use it for alot of multitasking?
    Is there any type of RAM which would be better or is it almost all the same?

I dont like Windows 8 at all, i think I'll stick with Windows 7 for now.
    The motherboard is a Intel H57 Express Chipset.

The actual computer i have at the moment is a Acer aspire ax3900 if that's any help

ReputationRep:
    The graphics card is a integrated Intel GMA HD card. Im going to need to get a new one as its not amazing. Would you say getting an i7 would be better or is it only worth it if im going to use it for alot of multitasking?
    Is there any type of RAM which would be better or is it almost all the same?

I dont like Windows 8 at all, i think I'll stick with Windows 7 for now.
    The motherboard is a Intel H57 Express Chipset.

The actual computer i have at the moment is a Acer aspire ax3900 if that's any help
    For now I'd suggest a GPU, PSU and RAM upgrade. CPU, mobo and SSD can come along later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    For now I'd suggest a GPU, PSU and RAM upgrade. CPU, mobo and SSD can come along later.
    As the case is so small all i can upgrade in my one is the RAM. There's no space for a graphics card or another hard drive

ReputationRep:
    As the case is so small all i can upgrade in my one is the RAM. There's no space for a graphics card or another hard drive
    What case/PC did you buy? Do you have a model number? For your budget you're going to struggle to get much of an upgrade if you want all new parts. £300/£400 falls squarely in the realms of budget PC which you already have. Spending that much money and not seeing an improvement is silly. You could stick it all in a budget £40 case that isn't proprietary, provided the motherboard is also compliant.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment i have an acer aspire ax3900.
    Im not fussed about whether the parts I buy are new or second hand. As im not in a major rush to build it i can wait until i find parts at a decent price.
    I just really need some advice on what parts to buy so I can find them somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    My partner built a pretty damn good gaming PC from scratch for just under £400 so it can be done. Instead of a SSD you could get the seagate 1tb hybrid hard drive, it is about £60 and means you don't need to buy a SSD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My partner built a pretty damn good gaming PC from scratch for just under £400 so it can be done. Instead of a SSD you could get the seagate 1tb hybrid hard drive, it is about £60 and means you don't need to buy a SSD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you know where they got the parts from and what
    they are are? Thanks

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OP has a 1TB drive and for about the same price as that hybrid drive you could get an SSD for the OS.

Do you know where they got the parts from and what
    they are are? Thanks
    Scan, Ebuyer, OCUK, Aria. You could take on Amazon but I'm seriously not impressed since their courier sent my W7 disc bent.

Overclock.net, OCUK, AVForums, Techpowerup, Ebay and Gumtree for classifieds.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.