Nursing Course References HELP! Watch

laurenforde
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there,

I just wondered if anyone could help me by their experiences please.

I have applied to study adult nursing at Bradford, Leeds Beckett, Huddersfield, York and Salford.

I know that most unis ask for two references.

I have attached one academic reference with my application, which I imagine is fine as I do distance learning and all my work is always handed in on time. But I am currently a healthcare assistant in the NHS. I am usually fit and well but unfortunately I have had two respiratory infections as I am asthmatic and my attendance isn’t too great at the moment. I didn’t want to use my ward sister as my reference anyway as I don’t want her to know I am applying yet, nor did I want to mention my attendance. Although my healthcare assessor who assesses my duties has agreed to be my reference. I just wondered if unis ask about attendance or is it basically just confirming who you are and if you do your job right? As that’s what my assessor said it is, but maybe every place is different. HELP!

Thanks
Lauren
CosmicJay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey Lauren,

I'm applying to Leeds Beckett too, though for the mental health nursing. When I spoke to the admissions tutor there he said that references are only taken after you have interviewed and are basically to confirm who you say you are and that your not dodgy - don't feel too pressured as he was basically saying references are a formality 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
laurenforde
Rep:
?
I went to the Leeds Beckett talk too. That’s what I thought it would be but I think the nerves are just kicking in now. I got two interview offers yesterday and my first choice Bradford sent me an attachment for my second reference and just asks about time keeping and commitment but it says it can be filled in by another academic reference or employment so my assessor should be fine. Phew!

Thank you though and good luck with your application too! Have you heard anything from Leeds Beckett yet if you don’t mind me asking?

CosmicJay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I certainly understand where your coming from on nerves. To be honest I haven't even sent my UCAS application off yet - I'm just waiting for my referee to do his bit then I'm all set to go. But I'm really really worried that I've left it too late because so many people sent I have been interviewed and even offered places already 😣.

Congrats on getting interview requests! Have you done any interviews yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
laurenforde
Rep:
?
I wouldn’t worry about it. Some unis do interview earlier but they say as long as you submit your application before the deadline you don’t stand any less of a chance compared to people that apply earlier apparently. Not yet, my first one is on the 21st January.

I’m not too sure what’s going to happen with Leeds Beckett though. They seem to have a strange approach to shortlisting from what I have read.
CosmicJay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh right. What's different about Leeds Beckett's admissions policy? They're my preference based on university and courses.

Good luck with your interview! Make sure you do lots of research on nursing and things like the Francis Report. Are you Loki g forward to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
laurenforde
Rep:
?
Well I live about 20mins away from Leeds Beckett so it would be a nice option if I didn’t get in at Bradford. I read on the UCAS website that they select everyone that has an informed personal statement and meet the entry requirements, then from that they will randomly select people. I thought most universities selected who they thought were the best candidates then invited people to interviews appose to 50% of it being down to pure luck!

Thank you! I’m doing lots of research but I will look at the Francis report too, thanks for the tip!

Totally mixed emotions. I’m excited to think I could potentially be studying the course I have always wanted to but nervous at being rejected because I worked so hard and want it so much! I suppose just like everyone else that has applied.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise