The Student Room Group

Can't get a graduate job. Need advice

I graduated in July last year from a good university with a very good result from a 4 year degree - I am 23 now. I had applied that year to a few graduate schemes and got nothing, although I did get one final interview. I was disappointed but took it on the chin with the knowledge that at least if I got that far having done very few applications under restricted time I would be able to get something after graduating for next year's intake.

Since graduating I have got myself a part time job but I can only do it for a few hours a week - it sees me through but I have lots of free time on my hands and I am bored as ****. From August - December I must have applied to around 20 graduate schemes, each was one that genuinely interested me so I put adequate time into all of them. I got as far as phone interviews and assessments on about half, but have being getting rejections one after the other since. This morning I was rejected from the two I wanted most of all, after sitting face-to-face interviews (I thought I had actually done very well with these, so it came as a shock). I am at the stage where I do not intend on doing any more graduate applications as all the jobs I wanted have rejected me or the deadline has passed. I have 2 applications still active, both of which have informed me that I have passed the phone interview stage but they cannot confirm an assessment day because of high application numbers. I have heard it all before and am just awaiting rejection emails for those too.

I am very down about the whole thing and am embarrassed when I am asked daily by various people about what I am doing with my career. The problem is, I think, is that I don't have an internship. I have work experience but nothing that would compare to an internship/summer placement/year in industry etc (Although, I have seen many of my friends secure graduate roles in very good companies without one, so idk). Anyway, I need some advice as to what to do next? I know I need to get more experience but even that I am having trouble with - I can't apply to internships because for 90% of them you have to be at uni still. I am quite frankly fed up of living at home when all my mates have moved on and are out there enjoying life and the world. It's not like I haven't been trying either.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey. What industries are you looking at?

In my experience (Investment Banking), people of all ages go and do internships. On my grad scheme there were even people as old as 29/30. Moral of the story - it's never too late, as long as you're truly driven to do the role you're applying to.

W
what university and what degree did you get?
I assure you these 'graduate jobs' are in general absolutely crap. I speak from experience, I was on one before. You're not missing out on anything, really.

Prepare to be given the 'this is what we expect at THIS company' along with a load of corporate drivel every single day. You'll wake up and the first thing you will think of it 'I wonder what fresh bull**** is in store today or what my bitch of a manager will find to be negative about this time'.

And once you take tax and national insurance contributions away, you're not on any special money, especially given a lot of these jobs are in London.
Reply 4
Original post by GetAhead
Hey. What industries are you looking at?

In my experience (Investment Banking), people of all ages go and do internships. On my grad scheme there were even people as old as 29/30. Moral of the story - it's never too late, as long as you're truly driven to do the role you're applying to.

W

That's good to hear, I guess I need to do a bit more research and go back to the drawing board. I applied to a mixture of project management and consultancy schemes related to sustainability/the environment. The majority of places I applied were energy companies and they don't offer internships unless you are a penultimate year student. Today I have emailed a few of them asking if there's any other route in and for some general advice, though.
Am having the same problem as to getting work experience in the oil and gas industry
Maybe do some work experience on the side OP? Just to keep your CV looking relevant if over months your part time work becomes the most recent activity.
Reply 7
Original post by vilefor
That's good to hear, I guess I need to do a bit more research and go back to the drawing board. I applied to a mixture of project management and consultancy schemes related to sustainability/the environment. The majority of places I applied were energy companies and they don't offer internships unless you are a penultimate year student. Today I have emailed a few of them asking if there's any other route in and for some general advice, though.

I think it sounds like you're doing a lot of good things, and at least your applications are getting somewhere. I know it's really hard to keep morale up at this time but really I think you just have to keep going, exploring as many avenues as possible (like how you've written to companies to ask about routes in). Can you try to get something a bit more full-time in the meantime or is that really tough as well?

A friend of mine did really well at uni but for some reason couldn't get a job for ages after finishing - it was a mystery to the rest of us! Anyway, he eventually did get his foot in the door and has been doing really well since. I'm quite sure that every time you do a job application you get a bit better at presenting yourself - that's what happened to me, I reckon. Chin up!
I think if you haven't managed to get an internship then you need to try and get the same sort of experience from other means. Most employers are looking for evidence of communication skills, ability to manage others, ability to analyse, organisational skills etc etc. Can you prove you have this from doing something yourself? Pulling together a team to raise money for a local cause using a variety of media and methods, for example? (ex graduate recruiter here).
Original post by vilefor
I graduated in July last year from a good university with a very good result from a 4 year degree - I am 23 now. I had applied that year to a few graduate schemes and got nothing, although I did get one final interview. I was disappointed but took it on the chin with the knowledge that at least if I got that far having done very few applications under restricted time I would be able to get something after graduating for next year's intake.

Since graduating I have got myself a part time job but I can only do it for a few hours a week - it sees me through but I have lots of free time on my hands and I am bored as ****. From August - December I must have applied to around 20 graduate schemes, each was one that genuinely interested me so I put adequate time into all of them. I got as far as phone interviews and assessments on about half, but have being getting rejections one after the other since. This morning I was rejected from the two I wanted most of all, after sitting face-to-face interviews (I thought I had actually done very well with these, so it came as a shock). I am at the stage where I do not intend on doing any more graduate applications as all the jobs I wanted have rejected me or the deadline has passed. I have 2 applications still active, both of which have informed me that I have passed the phone interview stage but they cannot confirm an assessment day because of high application numbers. I have heard it all before and am just awaiting rejection emails for those too.

I am very down about the whole thing and am embarrassed when I am asked daily by various people about what I am doing with my career. The problem is, I think, is that I don't have an internship. I have work experience but nothing that would compare to an internship/summer placement/year in industry etc (Although, I have seen many of my friends secure graduate roles in very good companies without one, so idk). Anyway, I need some advice as to what to do next? I know I need to get more experience but even that I am having trouble with - I can't apply to internships because for 90% of them you have to be at uni still. I am quite frankly fed up of living at home when all my mates have moved on and are out there enjoying life and the world. It's not like I haven't been trying either.

Hi,

If you are still active on this, where abouts are you now? I am in the exact same position. 40 job applications, 7 sssessment centres, rejection after rejection.

Frustrating!
Original post by Banadit95
Hi,

If you are still active on this, where abouts are you now? I am in the exact same position. 40 job applications, 7 sssessment centres, rejection after rejection.

Frustrating!

You can do it, good luck! Make sure if you haven't already ask the recruitment consultant for the position what areas you can improve in!
Original post by vilefor

Hi vilefor,

I’m in exactly the same position as you. I did a 4 year degree over a year ago and have got nothing but rejection after rejection. I’m 24 now and not working. I’m so embarrassed of my situation that I’ve become a bit of a recluse. I know it’s been a few years now since your post. I’m curious to know, how did things work out for you in the end?
Reply 12
Original post by Scrrooks
Hi vilefor,

I’m in exactly the same position as you. I did a 4 year degree over a year ago and have got nothing but rejection after rejection. I’m 24 now and not working. I’m so embarrassed of my situation that I’ve become a bit of a recluse. I know it’s been a few years now since your post. I’m curious to know, how did things work out for you in the end?

Same. Graduated over a year ago now and absolutely nothing. I was recently diagnosed with depression so it's been one heck of a crappy past year. Every job ad I see wants so much experience and I'm just constantly wondering where they expect anybody to get that level of experience whilst at Uni and then finding a company that will give you that experience is almost impossible from where I'm standing. Not only that, but have you noticed how all the job ads out there are incredibly tedious and depressing in and of themselves? I can see myself in none of the roles and know for a fact that I'd just sink even further health wise. I'm at a loss tbh. Currently just looking for retail work just so I have some purpose again and not too much time on my hands (and even that is becoming difficult since it doesn't seem like many shops are hiring staff atm). Ugh.
Original post by DPOJ
Same. Graduated over a year ago now and absolutely nothing. I was recently diagnosed with depression so it's been one heck of a crappy past year. Every job ad I see wants so much experience and I'm just constantly wondering where they expect anybody to get that level of experience whilst at Uni and then finding a company that will give you that experience is almost impossible from where I'm standing. Not only that, but have you noticed how all the job ads out there are incredibly tedious and depressing in and of themselves? I can see myself in none of the roles and know for a fact that I'd just sink even further health wise. I'm at a loss tbh. Currently just looking for retail work just so I have some purpose again and not too much time on my hands (and even that is becoming difficult since it doesn't seem like many shops are hiring staff atm). Ugh.

I totally get what you mean. I think I’ve been depressed for a good few years now. It’s true sometimes when I don’t get a job I think I want, part of me wants to cry and part of me thinks well I probably won’t like that anyway. It’s hard to find the motivation to do any of the things I once loved to do, like volunteering for a charity when I don’t know when my next pay check will be or what my future holds. If you end up working in retail, still keep looking for graduate jobs, you never know something perfect may come up for both of us, it might just take twice as long, maybe even four times as long as everyone else. Until then...hang in there...somehow...no matter how difficult life gets
Reply 14
Original post by Scrrooks
I totally get what you mean. I think I’ve been depressed for a good few years now. It’s true sometimes when I don’t get a job I think I want, part of me wants to cry and part of me thinks well I probably won’t like that anyway. It’s hard to find the motivation to do any of the things I once loved to do, like volunteering for a charity when I don’t know when my next pay check will be or what my future holds. If you end up working in retail, still keep looking for graduate jobs, you never know something perfect may come up for both of us, it might just take twice as long, maybe even four times as long as everyone else. Until then...hang in there...somehow...no matter how difficult life gets

Oh really? That's been the case with me also but I tried to just handle it by myself. It wasn't until around October 2019 that it really started to get out of hand because I was just so frustrated with the job market, the expectations of that market, expectations of family (who although want you to do well put far too much pressure on you to "just find a job").

I'm exactly the same. I've spent days crying and in a complete rut with no motivation. I'm at a point where I'm questioning if I'm even good at anything. I used to have much more confidence that my life would go well and in my own intelligence, but now I feel like a dud.

People have said to me that maybe I should do some volunteer work, but that's just not an option for me at 25 with parents breathing down my neck for me to start contributing financially. I also want to save and get my own place, get driving etc. So much to do and so little options. Most of the ads I see I just know I'm going to hate. I'm not really a corporate person but there doesn't seem to be much else. If I get a job in retail I'll still be on the look out for opportunities, but at least I'll have some income once I find something.

Hopefully it will work out for us both!
Original post by DPOJ

Hope you feel better and get a job soon. Can I just ask what degree did you get?
Reply 16
Original post by zombie2233
Hope you feel better and get a job soon. Can I just ask what degree did you get?

Thank you, and sure!

I did get a 2:2. I was on track for a 2:1 but because of mental health issues and numerous family deaths (10 by the time I graduated), my grade just took a battering.
Original post by DPOJ
Thank you, and sure!

I did get a 2:2. I was on track for a 2:1 but because of mental health issues and numerous family deaths (10 by the time I graduated), my grade just took a battering.

10? Sorry to hear that. By saying what degree did you get I meant what subject was it in? If you don’t mind saying? Sorry I think I asked that poorly
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by zombie2233
10? Sorry to hear that. By saying what degree did you get I meant what subject was it in? If you don’t mind saying? Sorry I think I asked that poorly

Yeah, 10. I couldn't believe what was happening as I'd not really had experiences of death with close family before so it did hit quite hard.

Ohhh sorry, my degree was in Theology & Religion which incorporated philosophy and other humanities areas. Yes, a humanities student (don't judge me haha).
Reply 19
Just keep applying is what everyone else says.

Use your time efficiently. Do some online courses, they can be anything, just do them. Don't worry too much either. Many people in the same position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending