Which is better to study from: a revision guide or a textbook?

Watch
PinkandBlue00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have got Nelson Thornes AQA science textbooks (for the three sciences) but i found out that there are revision guides of the same books but with shortened, more easier to revise, info. I've heard from my friend that using a revision guide is much easier to retain info from.

So my main question is HOW DO YOU REVISE FROM A TEXTBOOK WITHOUT GETTING BORED?

Thanks in advance
Adeel Ali
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Textbook- all the info [you can study from it]
revision guide- used for revision.
funkydee19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What is the difference though still. but i guess a revision guide for me is better cause I get bored and distracted easily.
Adeel Ali
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Studying Is More Like Learning Something.
Revising Is Going Over Something You Have Already Learnt.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1093620

This should help.
Chelsea12345
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks in advance [/QUOTE]

I, personally cant use a text book without getting bored so I would suggest buying revision guides as well just to make it easier for you learn effectively.
Also. since you mentioned you're doing triple science, have you tried the MYGCSESCIENCE on youtube?
Fallen99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by PinkandBlue00)
I have got Nelson Thornes AQA science textbooks (for the three sciences) but i found out that there are revision guides of the same books but with shortened, more easier to revise, info. I've heard from my friend that using a revision guide is much easier to retain info from.

Thanks in advance
I read and make notes and I make notes of a topic than watch videos and learn from other websites.I also do mini quizzes in between , this way I don't get bored
PinkandBlue00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fallen99)
I read and make notes and I make notes of a topic than watch videos and learn from other websites.I also do mini quizzes in between , this way I don't get bored

I'll try this thanx With textbooks i get distracted really quickly coz of the chunks of information to learn. thats why i was wondering whether to get the revision guide of the same books instead.
PinkandBlue00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chelsea12345)

Thanks in advance
I, personally cant use a text book without getting bored so I would suggest buying revision guides as well just to make it easier for you learn effectively.
Also. since you mentioned you're doing triple science, have you tried the MYGCSESCIENCE on youtube?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the MYGCSESCIENCE videos are really good! but the annoying thing is that you have to pay to watch units 2 and 3....
Fallen99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'll try this thanx With textbooks i get distracted really quickly coz of the chunks of information to learn. thats why i was wondering whether to get the revision guide of the same books instead.
Yeah if u keep reading a text board u will easily get board so I do different things in between. I hope it will help u too
Chucklevisionary
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I understand the main concepts from the revision guide and then go into more depth using the textbook, it works for me
PinkandBlue00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chucklevisionary)
I understand the main concepts from the revision guide and then go into more depth using the textbook, it works for me
kk, i'll try this thanx to see if it works for me too!
i just want to make good use of my textbooks as they were quite a rip off to buy!!! :eek:
Chelsea12345
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Yes, the MYGCSESCIENCE videos are really good! but the annoying thing is that you have to pay to watch units 2 and 3....
I didnt realise that.But seems a bit unfair, don't you think?I mean what's the point giving out videos for unit 1 free then demand money for the rest of the units?
PinkandBlue00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chelsea12345)
I didnt realise that.But seems a bit unfair, don't you think?I mean what's the point giving out videos for unit 1 free then demand money for the rest of the units?
I know right? i think it's coz the fact that we've watched unit 1 and realised that the videos are good, he wants us to pay to see the rest to make money as he knows that it gets a lot of views...
Unit 1 is basically a bit like a trial
Chelsea12345
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know right? i think it's coz the fact that we've watched unit 1 and realised that the videos are good, he wants us to pay to see the rest to make money as he knows that it gets a lot of views...
Unit 1 is basically a bit like a trial
so true!
Gott der Zweite
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I make notes on a topic from the textbook on plain A4 and write questions about it on the reverse side, I then whole punch them and put them in a folder
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Use both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.48%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.35%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.18%
I'm really nervous (49)
18.99%

Watched Threads