Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Yup, had to be ready by 8.30 and breakfast was at 8.15, so it was pretty tight. I got up at something like 6.30, I was so nervous about being late. Then I had an interview at 11ish and another one at 3ish - long wait in between! That's not as bad as one of the people there who had his test at 9 and his first interview straight afterwards, then had to wait until 4 or something for his second interview!

It was the 4th I believe so I wouldn't have seen you. Out of interest, did you wear a suit? All of us linguists turned up really informal except for one, whereas all the medics seemed to be wearing suits!! I didn't know Emma had that many language applicants every year for so few places - only found out the horrific statistics afterwards

As long as my room has a bed, walls, a window, a door, a desk, a chair, a wardrobe and a sink I'm not too worried
    That's a long wait- I thought the 1.5 hours between my first and second was bad, I kept mulling over all the stupid things I said in the first interview!

No I didn't wear a suit, I wouldn't have felt comfortable. Having said that, I did wear smart grey trousers, a white blouse and a black cardigan (plus a waist belt) so I was still quite smart. I found wearing heels was a great confidence boost though (Ignore me and my silly nerve-easing habits!)

Very true, all we need is the basics really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcium878)
    Was anyone interviewed on the 6th (Thursday)?
    Nope, I wasn't, although you probably guessed that from my previous post hehe. Which court do you think you're going to go for?

(Original post by *stars and stripes*)
    That's a long wait- I thought the 1.5 hours between my first and second was bad, I kept mulling over all the stupid things I said in the first interview!

No I didn't wear a suit, I wouldn't have felt comfortable. Having said that, I did wear smart grey trousers, a white blouse and a black cardigan (plus a waist belt) so I was still quite smart. I found wearing heels was a great confidence boost though (Ignore me and my silly nerve-easing habits!)

Very true, all we need is the basics really!
    I just wore a pretty skirt and a blouse and waist belt, so basically the same really. Didn't trust myself with heels, I thought that falling over on my way into the interview wouldn't be too amazing. Anyway, I'm 5'4 so never really feel that I need heels, just that they're quite nice to wear occasionally

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I wasn't, although you probably guessed that from my previous post hehe. Which court do you think you're going to go for?
    No idea, I need to ask on here really. I'd quite like to be in North Court in terms of being away from all the noise of the bar etc, but then again I could get a room backing onto the bus station or a main road! Also, what grades of rooms are there in North Court? I wouldn't like to end up with a 1 or 2 :\

ReputationRep:
    I just wore a pretty skirt and a blouse and waist belt, so basically the same really. Didn't trust myself with heels, I thought that falling over on my way into the interview wouldn't be too amazing. Anyway, I'm 5'4 so never really feel that I need heels, just that they're quite nice to wear occasionally
    Well, snap(ish)!

I wouldn't have trusted myself with any others apart from the ones I wore- as it was December, I wore heeled boots and they fit so well that they support my ankles, hence no worries about falling over! However it wasn't until I finally got home at about 7/8 that I realised how much it hurts to wear heels all day :rolleyes: I should have put some flats in my bag for all the walking!

ReputationRep:
    No idea, I need to ask on here really. I'd quite like to be in North Court in terms of being away from all the noise of the bar etc, but then again I could get a room backing onto the bus station or a main road! Also, what grades of rooms are there in North Court? I wouldn't like to end up with a 1 or 2 :\
    My thoughts exactly in terms of the bar, bus station, main road etc! I think North Court rooms are more variable in terms of size, so you're more likely to get a grade 1-2 by putting that down on your form I think...but don't quote me on it! I'll go and investigate and let you know what I find out

ReputationRep:
    Aha! Here's a link that gives you more info as well as the pros and cons of both North and South Court... plus if you click on 'Room Photos' there are, as you might guess, photos of graded rooms

http://ecsu.org.uk/prospective_students/accommodation

ReputationRep:
    Oooh nice, thanks

ReputationRep:
    North Court is grades 1-6, South Court mostly 3-4 although I've heard there're a couple of rogue 5s floating around. That's part of the reason I think I'll go for South Court - I pretty much know what I'm getting!

Edit: Looks like Danielle beat me to it with the information, and that link is much more useful! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hokey poke (in reply to both of you!) In other (perhaps more sensible words), that's OK

Edit: Thanks for the rep Cal, it's boosted my little green gems rather nicely! Much appreciated

Edit 2: And thanks also Zoe, as Tesco like to say, 'every little helps!'

ReputationRep:
    Was anyone interviewed on the 6th (Thursday)?
    Missed you by a day - I was interviewed on Friday, and I had the last interview of the day, I think.

What is the postmark on the pack? I wonder if it will arrive tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, can't help with the postmark- my mum has a bit of a recycling fetish so you've barely opened your post before she's grabbing envelopes and unnecessary bits of paper to put in the appropriate recycling box! It's very green, but a little bit mad

I was the first medic to be interviewed I think (well, definitely on my day anyway!) :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Postmark is 14th March.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, can't help with the postmark- my mum has a bit of a recycling fetish so you've barely opened your post before she's grabbing envelopes and unnecessary bits of paper to put in the appropriate recycling box! It's very green, but a little bit mad

I was the first medic to be interviewed I think (well, definitely on my day anyway!) :eek:
    There were two or three medics when I was there. All suit wearing I think the room was mostly taken over by linguists though. And most of those seemed to be applying for French and a.i. Italian, with one Spanish and French, two German and ai Russian, and me I like to be different, clearly.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what grade to go for at the moment (certainly not 5-6 lol!) but I think I'll probably go for 3-4 too... I'm wondering whether the bar could get really noisy though? I'll probably look at some more pics on the ECSU website before I choose
    The bar is only noisy on ents and bar extensions. Basically this is every Wednesday they have something called FunkDaBar (electronica sort of stuff, couple of the ones that stuck out this year were when Minuit and Jono Cary played), IndieInDaBar the occasionaly Friday (studenty indie stuff, music is a lot more enjoyable than Funk in my opinion). These all finish by about quarter to 12, so it will be an issue if you decide to stay in studying but it won't keep you awake because it finishes early. If you want to study just go to the library (which is about 2 seconds away). Also there are bar extensions (bar open to 2AM) which are open to Emma only, but not many people miss these.

As for what grade you go for, you definately want to avoid anything below a 3 unless you're skint. A few years ago there was a grade one in north court that was so small the guy living in it went to the university library to check the plans for North Court and saw it was marked "cupboard". That got degraded to 1/2 for that year, but I'm not sure if they just chucked it back up to a one this year or if they are not using it. There isn't a huge difference in price between the different grades. Also you get to pick from 1/2. 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, and I'd recommend picking one or two grades higher than you're actually planning on taking. (I.e. if you pick 3/4 in South court you will almost definately get a 3, so if you want a 4 go for 5/6).

I'm in a grade 3 in south court, very close to the bar. I go to the bar every night but usually not till quite late. I work in silence and have never really had a problem with noise from the bar except on a Wednesday (but I just make a point of making sure I don't need to work on a Wednesday night). As for the room itself, it's probably one of the worst grade 3's about. The wall's been punched in, the water from the sink isn't drinking water (most other grade 3s are) and there's a few vomit stains on the floor (my bad). But on the other hand it leads out on to a roof terrace which is great for parties and stuff. But despite it being a bit **** I really like my room.

But yeah, it doesn't really make a massive difference. They both have their pluses and minuses. Just go on any whims you have either way, you'll end up making friends from North and South.

ReputationRep:
    There were two or three medics when I was there. All suit wearing I think the room was mostly taken over by linguists though. And most of those seemed to be applying for French and a.i. Italian, with one Spanish and French, two German and ai Russian, and me I like to be different, clearly.
    Clearly! Being different is a good thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad absurdum)
    The bar is only noisy on ents and bar extensions. Basically this is every Wednesday they have something called FunkDaBar (electronica sort of stuff, couple of the ones that stuck out this year were when Minuit and Jono Cary played), IndieInDaBar the occasionaly Friday (studenty indie stuff, music is a lot more enjoyable than Funk in my opinion). These all finish by about quarter to 12, so it will be an issue if you decide to stay in studying but it won't keep you awake because it finishes early. If you want to study just go to the library (which is about 2 seconds away). Also there are bar extensions (bar open to 2AM) which are open to Emma only, but not many people miss these.

As for what grade you go for, you definately want to avoid anything below a 3 unless you're skint. A few years ago there was a grade one in north court that was so small the guy living in it went to the university library to check the plans for North Court and saw it was marked "cupboard". That got degraded to 1/2 for that year, but I'm not sure if they just chucked it back up to a one this year or if they are not using it. There isn't a huge difference in price between the different grades. Also you get to pick from 1/2. 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, and I'd recommend picking one or two grades higher than you're actually planning on taking. (I.e. if you pick 3/4 in South court you will almost definately get a 3, so if you want a 4 go for 5/6).

I'm in a grade 3 in south court, very close to the bar. I go to the bar every night but usually not till quite late. I work in silence and have never really had a problem with noise from the bar except on a Wednesday (but I just make a point of making sure I don't need to work on a Wednesday night). As for the room itself, it's probably one of the worst grade 3's about. The wall's been punched in, the water from the sink isn't drinking water (most other grade 3s are) and there's a few vomit stains on the floor (my bad). But on the other hand it leads out on to a roof terrace which is great for parties and stuff. But despite it being a bit **** I really like my room.

But yeah, it doesn't really make a massive difference. They both have their pluses and minuses. Just go on any whims you have either way, you'll end up making friends from North and South.
    Very helpful

How late is the library open incidentally? I have weird working habits! Also, is it usually possible to borrow/ use copies of all the major textbooks for your course at Emma? I asked at King's when I looked round there, but the guy who showed me around Emma didn't seem to know. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How late is the library open incidentally? I have weird working habits! Also, is it usually possible to borrow/ use copies of all the major textbooks for your course at Emma? I asked at King's when I looked round there, but the guy who showed me around Emma didn't seem to know. Thanks
    I'm not sure when the library is staffed, but it's open 24 hours a day (you just need your college card to get in) in term at least. I see that you're a medic, I think that a few of the major textbooks for medicine can only be taken out on short loan (which is a couple of days) because there is a big demand for them. I don't think there's any ones that you can't take out the library. But I'm pretty certian you won't have problems getting access to the textbooks. If, however, you can't get a hold on them, you can (a) tell the other medics to hurry up with them, (b) try the university library (which you can only read in, not take books out of) or (c) request that the college buys another copy of the book.

ReputationRep:
    Really helpful post!
    Thank you so much, that's really helped I think I'm pretty set on South Court now, I can deal with a punched in wall and vomit stains if that's as bad as it gets... I'll probably put grade 3/4 anyway as I'm happy with a grade 3 although the partitiony thing looks pretty cool.

Eeeee, I'm really excited now. So excited that I've actually started my Spanish coursework, which I've been feeling hopeless about for months. I've written... 1 sentence. But it's a good sentence!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure when the library is staffed, but it's open 24 hours a day (you just need your college card to get in) in term at least. I see that you're a medic, I think that a few of the major textbooks for medicine can only be taken out on short loan (which is a couple of days) because there is a big demand for them. I don't think there's any ones that you can't take out the library. But I'm pretty certian you won't have problems getting access to the textbooks. If, however, you can't get a hold on them, you can (a) tell the other medics to hurry up with them, (b) try the university library (which you can only read in, not take books out of) or (c) request that the college buys another copy of the book.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer I think it's only just hit my parents how expensive uni is and they definitely didn't want to have to buy copies of lots of books. You've put their mind at ease

ReputationRep:
    Eeeee, I'm really excited now. So excited that I've actually started my Spanish coursework, which I've been feeling hopeless about for months. I've written... 1 sentence. But it's a good sentence!
    Ditto, except it's given me the motivation to get on with my chemistry coursework and in 2 hours I drew 23 graphs I'm ploughing through it in no uncertain terms

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.