Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the Facebook group, but I think I won't be listed in the members since my privacy settings are high.

ReputationRep:
    Why is the Emma thread getting no love at the moment? No potential freshers with questions? No current students with banter?

ReputationRep:
    Question then: how is internet service like? Do we get access through the college, or do we pay for our own? (Is it even an option?) Is the college internet service restricted or filtered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Why is the Emma thread getting no love at the moment? No potential freshers with questions? No current students with banter?
    Potential freshers are revising lots! :p: To add to Zhen's internet question - what's the food like? Oh, and (question from my mum) are they just bogstandard microwaves in the kitchens, or do you get extra whizzy bits on them as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Potential freshers are revising lots! :p:
    That just about sums it up! But while I'm here (and you asked for questions ) what's the veggie food like? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *stars and stripes*)
    That just about sums it up! But while I'm here (and you asked for questions ) what's the veggie food like? Thanks
    What's the betting they suddenly all get scared by our barrage of questions and this thread goes silent for another few months? :p:

Right, revision.

ReputationRep:
    We won't let it Zoe! Let's take over this thread too

ReputationRep:
    Yay questions!

(Original post by Zhen Lin)
    Question then: how is internet service like? Do we get access through the college, or do we pay for our own? (Is it even an option?) Is the college internet service restricted or filtered?
    So far I've had very little trouble with the internet sevice, though it should be noted that I'm not actually using it legally because I've not registered my computer with the computing office. It's included in every room so you don't need to pay for your own. As far as I'm aware there are no restrictions on it, but don't quote me on that.

(Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Potential freshers are revising lots! :p: To add to Zhen's internet question - what's the food like? Oh, and (question from my mum) are they just bogstandard microwaves in the kitchens, or do you get extra whizzy bits on them as well?
    Whatever. I've got an exam this afternoon and I'm still dicking around on TSR The food can only be described as variable. Yesterday was particularly good, with roast pork, some excellent roast potatoes and mashed sweded. However, there are days when none of the available options are appetising and you'd be better off grabbing a sandwich and not risking it. There's a bit of an art to deciding which things are actually worth getting and which things you shouldn't touch with a barge pole. The puddings are consistently very good though.

The microwaves are, apparently, "combi ovens", but since I'm an undomesticated *******wit I don't actually know what this means. They cook beans, pasta packets, rice pudding, and baked potatoes. I have never had cause to cook anything else. Basically kitchen facilities are atrocious and if you want to cook for yourself it's an uphill struggle.

(Original post by *stars and stripes*)
    Sorry to have to break this to you, but veggie food is pretty damn bad. Most of the time it consists of bland pasta covered in a layer of plastic cheese. Either that or you'll get what is ambitiously called vegetarian "curry" or "stir fry", which is just a bunch of shrivelled vegetables in an unpleasant sauce.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck for the exam

Thanks for all the info... well at least there are combi ovens (I have one at home and I'm a dab hand at using it so I won't go hungry ) Failing that, I'll just eat lots of yummy puddings :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would probably recommend eating in hall anyway, despite the poor vegetarian food, because you can always get hold of sandwiches or cold things from the salad bar, and it's a lot more sociable. Converting to an exclusive pudding eater seems like a viable option too

ReputationRep:
    That's true...either that or I'll end up playing host to everyone! But seriously, I have such a sweet tooth that the pudding option is the most attractive

ReputationRep:
    Veggie food is pretty bad I'm afraid. My veggie friend often gets upset about it (but she doesn't like mushrooms.)

There have been occasions when the veggie option is just.. a tomato.

If you have a sweet-tooth, the puddings are usually pretty good. Emma is quite good for pudding.

Chum, you're in college this year aren't you? Are you a first year?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that I'm pretty undomesticated too, I don't plan on cooking all that much, hence my question about the food! I'm just glad I'm going to somewhere that will provide food for me the whole time I'm there, I won't need to learn how to cook until my year abroad, yay! Looking forward to the puddings!

ReputationRep:
    I adore mushrooms, so I'll be OK on that front I'm not really a fussy eater so hopefully I won't be cutting down my options further by not liking the ingredients!

ReputationRep:
    well, they do serve a lot of mushrooms

I probably paint a very negative picture as my only connection is a veggie who hates mushrooms, and doesn't much like tomatoes (?!)

ReputationRep:
    Ah...that's quite a major problem if you're a veggie- everything has mushrooms and tomatoes in

Which college are you at parallelduck?

ReputationRep:
    Emmanuel!

Hence the sprouting of knowledge

ReputationRep:
    Duh Sorry...I've been revising all day and appear to have brain freeze!

ReputationRep:
    It's okay, I'm currently procrastinating wildly, despite having an exam tomorrow

I don't come into this thread much as it didn't have much activity. I'm also a 2nd year, so I think I just forgot about it too.

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling- TSR is such a distraction!

Good luck for tomorrow

Yes, we really need to revive this college thread- until today it's been dead for ages!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.