The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Oh my, I nearly spilt coffee down my front because my phone buzzed when I had it to my lips. I'm apparantly a little jumpy today.

I would move away from my laptop, but I have to be near my email at the moment because I have to sort out a society dinner by the end of the week. How chaotic!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
parallelduck
Veggie food is pretty bad I'm afraid. My veggie friend often gets upset about it (but she doesn't like mushrooms.)

There have been occasions when the veggie option is just.. a tomato.

If you have a sweet-tooth, the puddings are usually pretty good. Emma is quite good for pudding.

Chum, you're in college this year aren't you? Are you a first year?

Aye, I'm a first year mathmo.

The mention of mushrooms reminds me of my favourite veggie disappointment from formal hall - we all received thoroughly decent cuts of meat and my vegetarian friend received... mushroom crumble. Cue much laughter. Not that it matters what food at formal tastes like, I usually have at best a vague recollection of what things tasted like afterwards.
parallelduck
Oh my, I nearly spilt coffee down my front because my phone buzzed when I had it to my lips. I'm apparantly a little jumpy today.

That's the kind of thing I do all the time! I've already had to buy a new keyboard for my computer after I tipped a cup of tea into it :redface:
I have a melted brain, and keep wondering if Cambridge is really worth revising Ford and Carter's domestic policies in detail :frown:

I love mushrooms and tomatoes, maybe I should opt for the veggie stuff once in a while. Oh, and that reminds me, do they serve a lot of fish? Because I hate it.
Zoedotdot
I have a melted brain, and keep wondering if Cambridge is really worth revising Ford and Carter's domestic policies in detail :frown:

I love mushrooms and tomatoes, maybe I should opt for the veggie stuff once in a while. Oh, and that reminds me, do they serve a lot of fish? Because I hate it.

They serve a reasonable amount of fish. Usually there's a meat option aswell though.

I would also advise avoiding any 'interesting looking' potato creations. They do some pretty wierd things. Stick to sensible stuff like mash.
What? The "Interesting looking" potato creations are pretty good. Curly fries, hash browns, that creamy potato they do.. mm. Potato is one thing hall does pretty well.

Chum's right about hall, but we sometimes get served salmon at formal which you can't really avoid.

Hey Chum, where you living next year?
Oh curly fries are good, obviously! And it wouldn't be brunch without hash browns. I'm talking more about things like the slices of potato that are in a watery mush.

I'm going to be in Barnwell next year. I guess it's not ideal being so far away but we've got a great bunch on our staircase and I have a couple of friends in North Court for the purpose of dumping stuff before going to the bar and getting ready before bar extension :biggrin:

What year/subject are you?
2nd year, Bio Natsci.

I'm in Barnwell now - it's not too bad. Which staircase you in?
I like potato in most forms, so that's good :biggrin: Is there any way of knowing what the hall/formal food is like beforehand, or do you just have to turn up and hope it's not fish? Aaand, another food question - how expensive is the food? What would an average termly bill be?

You asked for questions :p: I actually have lots but they don't all occur to me at once, so you may be bombarded for a few months yet.
Where is this barnwell place in relation to the college? and while we're on the subject of food what times do they serve it?
Barnwell is about a 15 minute walk away from college, near where the Emma Boat house is.

Food questions: I rarely eat in college this year to be honest. Last year I ate practically every day, twice a day and I *think* my food bill hovered between £200-£250. They don't publish menus for hall/formal online (they used to but stopped for some reason), so you have to hope!

Dinner is served between 5:45 and 7pm. Lunch is between 12:15 and 1:30.
I have no idea when breakfast is, apparantly they serve it but I am quite happy to keep that experience to a fictional realm. I believe it has something to do with being out of my bed at around 8am.
parallelduck
Barnwell is about a 15 minute walk away from college, near where the Emma Boat house is.

Food questions: I rarely eat in college this year to be honest. Last year I ate practically every day, twice a day and I *think* my food bill hovered between £200-£250. They don't publish menus for hall/formal online (they used to but stopped for some reason), so you have to hope!

Dinner is served between 5:45 and 7pm. Lunch is between 12:15 and 1:30.
I have no idea when breakfast is, apparantly they serve it but I am quite happy to keep that experience to a fictional realm. I believe it has something to do with being out of my bed at around 8am.

Fabulous, thank you :smile: That's exactly what I wanted to hear! My parents were telling me to factor in around £400 for food :s-smilie: I'm not a big eater - do you pay for a set menu or only for what you take? I'm assuming breakfast isn't a well attended affair then :rolleyes: I was just planning on buying bread once in a while, my favourite breakfast food is peanut butter sandwiches.

I had another question but I forgot it. I'm sure I'll return.
I think breakfast is more the domain of the rowers and the keen!

You pay for what you take. For example there will be around 3 main dishes (~1.50), 4 choices of veg/potato (~70p), a hot and cold desert (~70p - I think!)

There's also the salad bar with is about £1 a bowl. There should be soup on at lunch at around £1.50 for soup + roll. There are usually some snacky pie/pasty/mystery processed meat on the side for about 70p.

There's also a big cabinet containing sandwiches which vary from about £1.80 to £2.50

There's also fruit, yoghurt and stuff, around the 50p region.

Then you take it all to the till, someone totals up what you've got on your tray (sometimes fairly arbitrarily) and off you go!

I realise this is probably way more info than you wanted, but I'm fed up with revising protein sequence alignment programs :smile:
That is exactly the info I want. My parents didn't believe me when I told them your average food costs. So the breakdown is uber helpful, ta very much :smile: Sounds really good actually.
Reply 534
breakfast is 8.15-9.15 and is actually the best meal in college. I think this is because it is the same every day, thus, they have got fairly good at cooking it.

And boatie breakfast is worth it...
Another question...
Is it just the rowing boats in the boats house or are there other types kept there
ie;Kayaks and if so can they be borrowed/hired?
Reply 536
no the boat house is just rowing boats of the long and pointy variety. I'm fairly sure if you wanted to partake in other boat-related water sports there would be a suitable university club for you to join. You see a few kayaks going up and down the cam.
parallelduck
I think breakfast is more the domain of the rowers and the keen!

You pay for what you take. For example there will be around 3 main dishes (~1.50), 4 choices of veg/potato (~70p), a hot and cold desert (~70p - I think!)

There's also the salad bar with is about £1 a bowl. There should be soup on at lunch at around £1.50 for soup + roll. There are usually some snacky pie/pasty/mystery processed meat on the side for about 70p.

There's also a big cabinet containing sandwiches which vary from about £1.80 to £2.50

There's also fruit, yoghurt and stuff, around the 50p region.

Then you take it all to the till, someone totals up what you've got on your tray (sometimes fairly arbitrarily) and off you go!

I realise this is probably way more info than you wanted, but I'm fed up with revising protein sequence alignment programs :smile:

I think you're over-estimating the price of the vegetables and potato a bit. It's usually around 40p for a serving of either. Possibly the same can be said for the soup and roll.

Oh, and I'm in A staircase next year by the way.

There are also jacket potatos you can get fairly often at lunch which are quite cheap. And remember that if you're getting the larger, individually priced items from the salad bar, just hide them under the rest of your salad in the bowl and you'll only have to pay £1 for the lot :biggrin:

Breakfast is pretty worth it too. I've only started going this term, and not that often because I don't row in the mornings very often and don't have lectures early enough to want to get up for it normally, but it's always pretty good.
Reply 538
Chumbaniya
I think you're over-estimating the price of the vegetables and potato a bit. It's usually around 40p for a serving of either. Possibly the same can be said for the soup and roll.

The chat is always this great at emmanuel college, trust me kids.
EconLou
The chat is always this great at emmanuel college, trust me kids.

Never underestimate the potential of vegetable-related banter.

Latest

Trending

Trending