The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
For anyone who still hasn't received their letter (myself included), they are aware of the problem.

thanks for posting that, had seriously started to freak about not having a letter yet
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Woot! Exciting! Congrats all :smile: commiserations to those who didn't get in... Wow, this is making me feel all wise and experienced now :P
Has anyone at all received a letter from Emmanuel yet? And to everyone who has found out about their decision, did you all find out by e-mail/phone?

I still haven't received the letter, and haven't got a reply to the e-mail that I sent yet either :frown:
As regards the email, I'm sure the admissions office are doing everything they can, but they've probably received around 1200 emails, possibly more, so it's not surprising that they haven't replied. It's not like this is a huge office, there's probably around 3 of them so even though I know how difficult it must be waiting (my letter, 3 years ago now, was a day late and I almost died waiting) just have patience and remember that it is on its way :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1224
Hi,

To those that were rejected, my consolation, and good luck with your other applications!

I notice there are a few successful English applicants around; I am currently an Emma English undergrad. I just thought I'd make myself known in case you guys have any questions about the course, or if applicants in general have any questions about the college, college life, accommodation etc.

As for English at Emma, the professors are collectively more easy-going (but not lax!) and accessible than the norm. Your first term will be the Medieval paper, which is supervised by Dr. J. Wade (who probably interviewed you - he is American and has a beard; he is awesome), who lives in the college.

This means that your primary teaching will take place in the college, and your last minute essay crises will culminate in handing in the essay within college (this extra 30 minute window can mean a lot if you're just getting into the rhythm of work). In subsequent terms you will be supervised in other colleges, which is where your essays will also go, so it's a nice easing into the last-minute crisis paradigm.

Congratulations and good luck to all!

P.S. Where are all you English freshers from?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by GospelRocker
I'm from London and heard that there was a delay with the posting of the letters (got posted yesterday but not 100% sure) but thought that the letter would have arrived by today, the suspense is becoming almost unbearable. I think I'll wait for the post tomorrow before sending an email though. BTW anyone got an offer for medicine?

I've got my medicine offer - it's a disgusting 40 IB points with 7,7,6 in any higher levels (as expected, though) so from now until May I'll be doing nothing else! :redface:
Original post by Gooner231
I was there on the 14th :smile:

COOL! Well, grades permitting, I will see you in October :biggrin: Still so shocked, my interviews went terribly (I thought)!
Original post by Fazenda
Hi,

To those that were rejected, my consolation, and good luck with your other applications!

I notice there are a few successful English applicants around; I am currently an Emma English undergrad. I just thought I'd make myself known in case you guys have any questions about the course, or if applicants in general have any questions about the college, college life, accommodation etc.

As for English at Emma, the professors are collectively more easy-going (but not lax!) and accessible than the norm. Your first term will be the Medieval paper, which is supervised by Dr. J. Wade (who probably interviewed you - he is American and has a beard; he is awesome), who lives in the college.

This means that your primary teaching will take place in the college, and your last minute essay crises will culminate in handing in the essay within college (this extra 30 minute window can mean a lot if you're just getting into the rhythm of work). In subsequent terms you will be supervised in other colleges, which is where your essays will also go, so it's a nice easing into the last-minute crisis paradigm.

Congratulations and good luck to all!

P.S. Where are all you English freshers from?

Great to hear from an actual English undergrad! The professors were surprisingly nice; I had a bizarre image of them breathing fire and yelling in the interviews. They weren't like that at all. I'm nervous about the medieval paper - I really don't think I'll be any good at it, but I'm looking forward to giving it a go! Was your first supervision terrifying?
Original post by flygirl99
COOL! Well, grades permitting, I will see you in October :biggrin: Still so shocked, my interviews went terribly (I thought)!

Indeed you will :smile: parts of mine were a bit :s-smilie: but it matters little now :biggrin: :biggrin: just glad to have the chance atm, grades can come later :wink:
Hi :smile: Has anyone else got an offer from Emmanuel history? xxxx
Nadir of Emma obsessiveness led me here: http://ecsu.org.uk/downloads/freshers/freshers_guide_2010.pdf
I received an offer for engineering from emma yesterday :biggrin: :biggrin:!! I'm so excited! Was anyone else being interviewed on the 11th of december??
Original post by a daedalus
Nadir of Emma obsessiveness led me here: http://ecsu.org.uk/downloads/freshers/freshers_guide_2010.pdf

This is a good guide, I want to feel like an Emma fresher, but then think that I need to get the STEP grades!

I will tell myself positive thinking, I will be a Emma fresher!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 1233
I GOT AN OFFER FROM EMMANUEL FOR MATHS!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Only found out yesterday when my headteacher received a letter but totally worth the wait :smile:
Reply 1234
Original post by vickyx1
I GOT AN OFFER FROM EMMANUEL FOR MATHS!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Only found out yesterday when my headteacher received a letter but totally worth the wait :smile:

Another girl with an Emma maths offer! :biggrin: Congrats!
Original post by Kiiroitori
Chem Eng (via Engineering)
My interviewers corrected me or asked me to think again. Three of them were really nice. :smile:
But the really bad bit was that on my prepared topic, I said that nuclear energy was renewable.
And then one of the interviewers just.... went "YOU THINK NUCLEAR ENERGY IS RENEWABLE"
And I tried to defend myself by giving examples... although I didn't articulate it that well. :s-smilie:
I emailed Lesley at around... 7-8am this morning. :smile:

Hah! One of my points was that nuclear energy is "renewable" using breeder technology. Maybe they the thought you meant that anyway, so its OK. But thats not to say I didn't make some silly mistakes in my interview - drew a pretty standard graph upside down (and its not an easy error to make; it wouldn't make sense as it was). Genuinely think the interviewer was laughing at me!

Well done on the offer, I've got one for Engineering too :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1236
Original post by kerily
Another girl with an Emma maths offer! :biggrin: Congrats!

Ooh me too :biggrin: where in Yorkshire are you from? You're one of the first fellow northerners I think I've found! Everyone having their interviews the same day as me that I talked to seemed very southern :tongue:
It's strange, everyone here applying to do Maths got offers :woo:
Do any of you Emma lot know anything about Sidney Sussex? Anything at all? I know it's near in geographical terms but the college's thread here on TSR hasn't been updated in yonks and that's why I ask :smile:
Original post by TheMeister
Do any of you Emma lot know anything about Sidney Sussex? Anything at all? I know it's near in geographical terms but the college's thread here on TSR hasn't been updated in yonks and that's why I ask :smile:

I don't think you're allowed on this thread.

Haha no just kidding, I don't know much about it, check out the alternative prospectus though at http://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/admiss/ugrad/AlternativeProspectus.pdf. Looks cosy

Latest

Trending

Trending