Turn on thread page Beta

Emmanuel College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    Definitely sounds like you've done enough! You can probs just relax now
    I'm just really worried. It reads like I've done a lot but I don't feel secure in what I have done. Watching the mock interview on the Emmanuel website for MML really calmed me down, because I think had that been me I would have been okay. Is there a large focus during the interview on my personal statement? I'd rather be asked questions about things the interviewers know I won't know, which I'm assuming is sort of the point of a Cambridge interview anyway... ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by undercovermartyn)
    I'm just really worried. It reads like I've done a lot but I don't feel secure in what I have done. Watching the mock interview on the Emmanuel website for MML really calmed me down, because I think had that been me I would have been okay. Is there a large focus during the interview on my personal statement? I'd rather be asked questions about things the interviewers know I won't know, which I'm assuming is sort of the point of a Cambridge interview anyway... ?
    Exactly! They asked me mainly about books I said I'd read on my PS, but not stuff with an actual "answer" - just my views about different aspects of the ideas behind them. But it wasn't stuff I'd ever studied, I literally did just make it all up on the spot!

Honestly, it really sounds like you don't need to do any more - you just need to get yourself feeling confident. One thing I find quite helpful sometimes before exams is trying to explain concepts to people who've got no idea about them - so I try to explain French medieval concepts of authorship to my mum, for example - and it really helps me be sure I know what I'm talking about. Apart from that, just treat yourself and do some things that you'd normally do to relax (shopping, watching your favourite film, whatever).

Best of luck, feel free to keep me posted on how it goes! [if you didn't gather I'm an Emma linguist]

ReputationRep:
    Oh you are? That's fantastic! Are you taking the train there and do you know when you arrive?

Wow, studying for Math sounds really difficult. o: I hope your interview goes well and is not too daunting. Try not to panic! I'm doing my best to enjoy the process. I like your use of French there, by the way.

For MML I'll be tested by speaking a bit in French, though I won't be able to do much at all in German as I know only basic 'tourist' language! I've been studying French history, literature, culture, politics, etc in preparation for my interview, alongside lots of grammar work (which I absolutely love! That is not sarcasm). I don't really like politics in any country but I figured I should know about it. For German I've been doing the same, though as an introductory thing. I do feel like I still have so much to do. :confused:
    I live quite close to Cambridge (I only asked for accommodation because I wanted to feel what it's like to live in a Cambridge college) so I'll probably go straight from school. How about you? I'll just be relieved when it's over and I can do no more.

You sound like you've done an incredible amount of preparation. Well, good luck and yeah, I love grammar too.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! They asked me mainly about books I said I'd read on my PS, but not stuff with an actual "answer" - just my views about different aspects of the ideas behind them. But it wasn't stuff I'd ever studied, I literally did just make it all up on the spot!

Honestly, it really sounds like you don't need to do any more - you just need to get yourself feeling confident. One thing I find quite helpful sometimes before exams is trying to explain concepts to people who've got no idea about them - so I try to explain French medieval concepts of authorship to my mum, for example - and it really helps me be sure I know what I'm talking about. Apart from that, just treat yourself and do some things that you'd normally do to relax (shopping, watching your favourite film, whatever).

Best of luck, feel free to keep me posted on how it goes! [if you didn't gather I'm an Emma linguist]
    Thank you for the advice, it's all very reassuring! I usually do discuss language-related things with my friend who doesn't study French which I find very useful, because it helps me put my enthusiasm for languages into words. I'll try and take it easy and relax a bit -- I'm going shopping anyway in the next couple of days so that'll count!

Thank you! Do you enjoy languages at Emma, and is it alright for me to message you if I have any more questions, please?

(Original post by Edwin Okli)
    I live quite close to Cambridge (I only asked for accommodation because I wanted to feel what it's like to live in a Cambridge college) so I'll probably go straight from school. How about you? I'll just be relieved when it's over and I can do no more.

You sound like you've done an incredible amount of preparation. Well, good luck and yeah, I love grammar too.
    That's convenient! I live in the North-West of England so I'm trekking down by train on a journey which will apparently take me roughly five hours (oh dear. It's four coming back...). I'm looking forward to that too, although it means catching up in my other classes which I've neglected slightly in the last month.

I hope it's enough. Good luck to you too, I suppose I'll possibly run into you on Thursday?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thank you for the advice, it's all very reassuring! I usually do discuss language-related things with my friend who doesn't study French which I find very useful, because it helps me put my enthusiasm for languages into words. I'll try and take it easy and relax a bit -- I'm going shopping anyway in the next couple of days so that'll count!

Thank you! Do you enjoy languages at Emma, and is it alright for me to message you if I have any more questions, please?
    Of course you can! If they're questions you think everyone might benefit from, think about quoting me in the MML thread so other people can see - if you'd rather keep it private feel free to message.

I absolutely love it, yeah. I even think I might love it a bit too much and that I shouldn't give advice because I'm too biased. But I'll happily give it anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can! If they're questions you think everyone might benefit from, think about quoting me in the MML thread so other people can see - if you'd rather keep it private feel free to message.

I absolutely love it, yeah. I even think I might love it a bit too much and that I shouldn't give advice because I'm too biased. But I'll happily give it anyway!
    I only joined TSR today so I have no idea about quoting to other forums, but I'll try to figure it out!

I don't mind if you're biased because I completely am about Languages at my college (I'm a wonderful student mentor like that, haha!). Do you find that you have a lot of freedom to choose what you study? And are you immersed in your languages enough? I ask the last question because at an open day for Leeds University (I didn't apply) they said that from the second term onwards, all lectures are given in French/German etc, but when I visited Cambridge's open days I was told most of the teaching is done in English.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I only joined TSR today so I have no idea about quoting to other forums, but I'll try to figure it out!

I don't mind if you're biased because I completely am about Languages at my college (I'm a wonderful student mentor like that, haha!). Do you find that you have a lot of freedom to choose what you study? And are you immersed in your languages enough? I ask the last question because at an open day for Leeds University (I didn't apply) they said that from the second term onwards, all lectures are given in French/German etc, but when I visited Cambridge's open days I was told most of the teaching is done in English.
    I'll give this a detailed reply a little later on when I've done more work on the presentation I'm doing for my end-of-semester exam. Currently making notes (in French) comparing a Tom Waits musical (in English) with the play (in German) that it's based on. Year Abroad is fun!

ReputationRep:
    That's convenient! I live in the North-West of England so I'm trekking down by train on a journey which will apparently take me roughly five hours (oh dear. It's four coming back...). I'm looking forward to that too, although it means catching up in my other classes which I've neglected slightly in the last month.

I hope it's enough. Good luck to you too, I suppose I'll possibly run into you on Thursday?
    Yes. Well, if I can bring myself to actually have dinner instead of moping in my room thinking about maths the whole time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edwin Okli)
    Yes. Well, if I can bring myself to actually have dinner instead of moping in my room thinking about maths the whole time.
    I know what you mean, because I still haven't decided whether or not I should be studying the night before or taking a breather. I guess it depends on how much I get done in the next few days.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, because I still haven't decided whether or not I should be studying the night before or taking a breather. I guess it depends on how much I get done in the next few days.
    It's probably better to relax and forget about it but who can forget forget about the beauty of maths, eh? I've been more distracted by it than ever recently.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely sounds like you've done enough! You can probs just relax now
    What's the password for Emma guest wifi...? Thankssss

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying for English? It's written down that I have a test and I have no idea what it's going to contain! If anyone can enlighten me, it would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad absurdum)
    We're in direct competition except I'm applying for maths with physics.

I'm filling out the questionnaire that came with the letter just now, this is far more difficult than any Cambridge university exam...

Ohh, I'm applying for Maths with physics too!! The annual intake is quite small huh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serena1104)
    Ohh, I'm applying for Maths with physics too!! The annual intake is quite small huh...
    It is, but if you check the date on the post you'll see it's from 2006! so you won't be facing that particular competition at any rate. Are you applying for 2013 then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    It is, but if you check the date on the post you'll see it's from 2006! so you won't be facing that particular competition at any rate. Are you applying for 2013 then?
    I'm applying for 2012 entry. More and more people are applying each year,I guess, while only one or two positions on Maths with Physics are offered by a college ... Anyway I believe in myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    :hi:
    Congratulations!! Knew you could do it

ReputationRep:
    This may be trivial, but in my offer letter I am required to post my examination certificates (GCSE's and AS levels) to Emmanuel. Does anyone know if they have to be originals or if they can be copies? I might need them later in life and if I send originals they will send them back right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morphius1)
    This may be trivial, but in my offer letter I am required to post my examination certificates (GCSE's and AS levels) to Emmanuel. Does anyone know if they have to be originals or if they can be copies? I might need them later in life and if I send originals they will send them back right?
    Certified copies will do, if I remember correctly. But it was a long time ago... I certainly don't remember posting originals!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying for Medicine. I am currently doing GCSE's. What is the average number of A*'s at GCSE and the same at A-Level? I'm thinking of doing 3 sciences and RS. Would I stand a chance with 1-2 A*'s and the rest A's at AS and A2 but with less A*'s at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuvok1153)
    I'm thinking of applying for Medicine. I am currently doing GCSE's. What is the average number of A*'s at GCSE and the same at A-Level? I'm thinking of doing 3 sciences and RS. Would I stand a chance with 1-2 A*'s and the rest A's at AS and A2 but with less A*'s at GCSE?
    From what I've gathered from my fellow medics, around 6 A* at least for Emma.
    Also, 3 sciences + RS might be a weak application for this college, every medic I know here did 4 "science" subjects which includes maths and chemistry, apart from those doing something like the IB (i.e. me!) which you can only do 3, but they then have the 3 extra subjects not just one. Also, RS is considered a "weak" A-Level and probably won't be taken into consideration. Something like psychology is better but you're best doing the three sciences + maths, and FM if you're able. I know someone who took music but did 4 "science" subjects as well!

But remember that GCSEs are a very small part of admissions here, predicted grades of A*AA should get you an interview, and in most cases the interview will ultimately decide your offer / rejection.

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.