The Student Room Group

Should I do Edexcel D1 or M2 for further math?

I have finished learning the FP1, and i wanted to know whether i should do D1 or M2? I want to do chemical engineering. Although, i havent done M1 yet.
I personally would do D1 on the basis that it is really easy and thus it will boost your grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by DanTaylor
I personally would do D1 on the basis that it is really easy and thus it will boost your grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice!
Is D1 scoring? Cuz ive heard that its really hard to score at, and its a totally different module that has never been touched before. Will I be able to score as well in D1, and what are your tips?
It depends on your priorities. Here is a list of pros and cons to both:

D1
Pros: Very easy to understand, most of it could probably be taught to year six. It's just learning and applying algorithms, and showing working in the correct format. Real world applications are obvious and it's interesting in theory at least.
Cons: It's unbelievably boring if you prefer 'proper' maths to learning and regurgitation. The pace of teaching in my class has been very very slow, which isn't at all fun as the concepts are so simple (and I tend to read ahead anyway). The grade boundaries are always high as well (since it's easy) so you can't afford to drop any marks if you want to do well.

You only get marks for the CORRECT FORMAT of working out as well, which is either a pro or a con depending on your preferences. Personally I often go a different route to answer questions so this is quite a problem for me.

M2 (disclaimer: I'm doing this next year so this is based on M1)
Pros: Interesting, challenging problems to solve. It's definitely real maths and very useful if you do physics, as it takes the mechanics you learn in physics to another level of difficulty, which is fun. The grade boundaries aren't as high as for decision. You get to see real world applications of trig and algebra (and probably calculus at some point if you take it far enough).
Cons: You have to be awake in lessons or it will go straight over your head and all you'll hear is a long string of sine thetas and cos alphas with some numbers mixed in. It is definitely harder than stats or decision (but more fun imo). Not many applications outside physics/engineering (but it's essential for both these).

Basically, if you like a challenge, go for M2. If you absolutely have to get a high grade and you want to take some pressure off, take D1. I'd imagine you're probably in the first camp though, as a further mathematician :smile:
Reply 4
For engineering (and usefulness) M2 definitely. Haven't done D1 but my teachers assure me it's easy and dull. M2 is easyish if you've mastered M1. Also, why not both? Self study D1 probably wouldn't take long. Though if M1 doesn't click with you (took me a while for it to click) then M2 would be impossible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending