Turn on thread page Beta

Left uni, still in accommodation contract (reward for anyone who can help) watch

ReputationRep:
    I left university before Christmas and filled out a form to request leave on my accommodation contract. I got a letter in the post just before Christmas stating that if I didn't have mitigating circumstances they were unable to release me from my accommodation contract. I cannot afford to pay the remainder of my fees and the next installment is due on the 9th of January. I really need to find a way out of this without coughing up the money. The university owns the accommodation
    Anyone who has any ideas and helps to get me out of my contract will be rewarded!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    They might consider releasing you from the contract if you find another student to replace you? Maybe someone who started uni late although probably difficult at this time. Have you spoken to your student union? They may be able to look at your contact for you. There is a release clause but I can't see the T&Cs - I assume you don't meet anyof these.

At the end of the day its a legally binding contract and if you can't get released either under the release clause or voluntarily then you will be obliged to pay the rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waxon)
    6. ENDING THIS AGREEMENT

6.3 The University has entered into this Agreement on the basis that the Resident has
    made a legally binding agreement to pay the Accommodation Fee for the full Period of
    Residence.
    If the Resident wishes to terminate this Agreement before the end of the
    Period of Residence, he will still have to pay the Accommodation Fee for the Period of
    Residence, unless the Room is let to someone else for the remainder.
    If the Resident
    wishes to terminate this Agreement before the end of the Period of Residence, they
    must comply with all of the following conditions and the Resident will remain liable for
    the Accommodation Fee until all of the following conditions have been satisfied or, if
    earlier, until the end of the Period of Residence
    :
    6.3.1 the Resident must give notice to the University’s Residential Services
    Manager Service that he wishes to leave;
    6.3.2 the Resident must pay for the reasonable costs of, or put right to the
    University’s reasonable satisfaction, any breach of the Resident’s obligations
    in this Agreement;
    6.3.3 there must be a replacement resident who is a student of the University and
    who is reasonably satisfactory to the University and who is not already party
    to an Accommodation Agreement with the University
    (the University will
    assist the Resident in finding a replacement, but does not guarantee it will
    be able to find one);
    Basically unless you find someone to replace you you're stuck and they'll take the money on the 9th =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Basically unless you find someone to replace you you're stuck and they'll take the money on the 9th =/
    The thing is, I don't have enough money in my bank to pay them. Any idea what they'll do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waxon)
    The thing is, I don't have enough money in my bank to pay them. Any idea what they'll do?
    You might be able to negotiate a gradual payment plan with them. That would be your best course of action. If I were you, I'd contact them now and start the process to prevent the payment request going to your bank. If they try to take the money from your account when it isn't there, you'll have bank charges to pay on top of everything else.

You really need to go back to the contract you've quoted from, which should give details of what will happen if you default. I'd expect a few increasingly strongly worded letters eventually threatening court action to revover the debt, then a court action to legally demand the money. If you still don't pay, you can expect your details to be passed to a debt collection agency and bailiffs will arrive to seize your belongings. You may also end up with a court order which automatically deducts payments from any future wage packet.

The longer you leave it, the more you'll owe and the more tangled the mess you'll be in. A court judgement against you can prevent you from getting a job (it was one of the factors my last employer used to filter out job applicants). Legal, court, agency and bailiff costs will be added to your bill, along with interest. Get talking to the uni and try to head all of this off before it starts.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.