The Student Room Group

Applying for university with BTEC?

Hi all, I'm currently studying BTEC Extended Diploma Level 2 in Applied Science. I've completed level one and I'm due to be going onto the forensics part (level 3) after I've completed this level. I'm starting to look for universities but I've started question as to whether any universities will allow me to apply for a forensics course?.

I've spoken to my tutor and he informed me that the BTEC courses that I'm currently taking are equivalent to 3 A-levels. Can anyone point me in the direction of any universities that might accept me? Not many uni's in London do forensic science courses :frown: thanks!.
A lot universities will accept you. If you look on UCAS' search tool, it lets you know which universities accept BTECs alone, and which ones accept a BTEC and an A-level.

You may need to email some universities directly in order to find out their BTEC policy, however.
Reply 2
if youre looking for the best uni possible that will be either:

Exeter- Archaeology with Forensic Science- DDD/DDM
Surrey- Chemistry with Forensic Investigation- DDD (in appropriate subject)
Kent- Forensic Science- DDM
Keele- Forensic Science (with either Biology, Accounting, American studies or Astrophysics) - DDD
Leicester- Chemistry with Forensic Science- DDD (in Applied Science + Chemistry (B))
Reading- Chemistry with Forensic Analysis- ??

However if you want to be in London you would have to settle for a much worse uni like:

Kingston, UWL, London Sth bank or London Met

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by ShutupKhloe
Hi all, I'm currently studying BTEC Extended Diploma Level 2 in Applied Science. I've completed level one and I'm due to be going onto the forensics part (level 3) after I've completed this level. I'm starting to look for universities but I've started question as to whether any universities will allow me to apply for a forensics course?.

I've spoken to my tutor and he informed me that the BTEC courses that I'm currently taking are equivalent to 3 A-levels. Can anyone point me in the direction of any universities that might accept me? Not many uni's in London do forensic science courses :frown: thanks!.

you should be fine with this btec. you will probably need mmd for most unis south wales is good for forensics. check ucas course search for forensic science for further details and other unis
BTECS are becoming more accepted. You shouldn't have a problem for most uni's. But if you have a specific one in mind make sure they accept it first :smile:

Quick Reply