Partial fractions (with repeated terms in the denominator) Watch

gloria97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Why, when a fraction has repeated linear terms in its denominator e.g. (11x2+14x+5)/[(x+1)2(2x+1)] does it have to be split into three partial fractions, A/(x+1) + B/(x+1)2 + C/(2x+1)?
When my first saw this example, my initial reaction was to split it into A/(x+1)2 +B/(2x+1), but after working through this, I realised my method was wrong. Why doesn't it work? I don't want a worked answer to the example because I already know what it is. I just want a genuine logical reason to why the former works and the latter doesn't.
Thanks
Hunkybm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes it has to be split into A/(x+1) + B/(x+1)2 + C/(2x+1), if you think about it if you split it into only two fractions you're not really simplifying it down? You need to separate all the factors of the denominator and (x+1) is a factor! Remember, partial fractions are used to simplify. Hope this helped!
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gloria97)
Why, when a fraction has repeated linear terms in its denominator e.g. (11x2+14x+5)/[(x+1)2(2x+1)] does it have to be split into three partial fractions, A/(x+1) + B/(x+1)2 + C/(2x+1)?
When my first saw this example, my initial reaction was to split it into A/(x+1)2 +B/(2x+1), but after working through this, I realised my method was wrong. Why doesn't it work? I don't want a worked answer to the example because I already know what it is. I just want a genuine logical reason to why the former works and the latter doesn't.
Thanks
I can never remember these things myself, but the good news is you can work it out for yourself from the basics.

You know that you can write

\dfrac{1}{(x+1)(2x+1)} \equiv \dfrac{A}{x+1} + \dfrac{B}{2x+1}

from when you first learnt about partial fractions.

Therefore,

\dfrac{1}{(x+1)^2(2x+1)}  = \dfrac{1}{x+1}[\dfrac{1}{(x+1)(2x+1)} ]

= \dfrac{1}{x+1}(\dfrac{A}{x+1} + \dfrac{B}{2x+1}) = \dfrac{A}{(x+1)^2} + \dfrac{B}{(x+1)(2x+1)}

Now decompose the 2nd fraction on the right using

so that

\dfrac{B}{(x+1)(2x+1)} \equiv \dfrac{BA}{x+1} + \dfrac{B^2}{2x+1}

and now you have an expansion of the original fraction into 3 separate terms.
MathMeister
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by davros)
Say you disregarded the expression raised to the 1 but had the same expression raised to the 2 (and the other one) then wouldn't the numerator be Bx+C? Because for example  1/(x+1)= (x+1)/(x+1)^{2} (and then form a continuous fraction)
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MathMeister)
Say you disregarded the expression raised to the 1 but had the same expression raised to the 2 (and the other one) then wouldn't the numerator be Bx+C? Because for example  1/(x+1)= (x+1)/(x+1)^{2} (and then form a continuous fraction)
Not quite sure what you're trying to say, but my brain's getting tired and I'm "Latexed out" with all these fractions

But if you're going where I think you're going, note that whenever you have something like
(Bx + C)/(x+1)^2 you can always rearrange the numerator to "look like" the linear factor in the denominator i.e. Bx + C = Bx + B - B + C = B(x+1) + C - B and then do a polynomial division to get constant/(x+1) + (another constant)/(x+1)^2.

I think the important thing is to be flexible enough to recognize that you can do lots of clever things with fractions like writing x/(x+1) = 1 - (1/(x+1)) when you're integrating for example, rather than trying to memorize every single combination that can come up
MathMeister
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks!
gloria97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I can never remember these things myself, but the good news is you can work it out for yourself from the basics.

You know that you can write

from when you first learnt about partial fractions.

Therefore,

\dfrac{1}{(x+1)^2(2x+1)}  = \dfrac{1}{x+1}[\dfrac{1}{(x+1)(2x+1)} ]

= \dfrac{1}{x+1}(\dfrac{A}{x+1} + \dfrac{B}{2x+1}) = \dfrac{A}{(x+1)^2} + \dfrac{B}{(x+1)(2x+1)}

Now decompose the 2nd fraction on the right using

so that

\dfrac{B}{(x+1)(2x+1)} \equiv \dfrac{BA}{x+1} + \dfrac{B^2}{2x+1}

and now you have an expansion of the original fraction into 3 separate terms.
Thanks sooooo much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise