The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UTG8
I have a family friend who did this two years ago. Key point is he didn't tell oxford he was already studying Economics at Durham and got in for PPE. He applied with a reference from one of his teachers at his old school and dropped straight out of Durham literally a few weeks after hearing he got an (obviously unconditional) offer... At interview they asked him 'what he'd been up to' and he pretty much lied and said travelling, studying etc. but he said they asked it just to open the interview and calm nerves etc. they didn't actually seem to care about what he was doing... (he also applied to the LSE for Econ and Gov and was rejected around February - after he had dropped out of Durham)

I would not recommend doing this at all. Someone in my college got accepted for Law, and had failed to declare that he had already started studying Law as a first year at another university when he interviewed. My tutors were very unhappy when they found out, and I think he got hauled before the college to explain himself. He ended up transferring to another college, but he could very well have lost his place at Oxford altogether for his lack of honesty.
Reply 21
How did tutors find out that he studied in different university?
If I apply Oxford while I’m a first-year student (probably St.Andrews) in another uni - would a level grades still be the primary source of assessment? I was predicted A* but only got an A in one of my subjects so I’m not sure if I should have a try...haven’t applied for Oxford this year
Original post by Vasarihzdx.
If I apply Oxford while I’m a first-year student (probably St.Andrews) in another uni - would a level grades still be the primary source of assessment? I was predicted A* but only got an A in one of my subjects so I’m not sure if I should have a try...haven’t applied for Oxford this year

They would be in most cases but don't let that prevent you from applying. I have finished the IB program with only 32 points (equivalent to, let's say, ABB-BBB, anyways way below Oxford's requirement of 38-40) and still managed to get an offer while being a first-year at EU university. You may not have the highest chances of all applicants but definitely do apply if Oxford is what you want.
Original post by NeXT2530
They would be in most cases but don't let that prevent you from applying. I have finished the IB program with only 32 points (equivalent to, let's say, ABB-BBB, anyways way below Oxford's requirement of 38-40) and still managed to get an offer while being a first-year at EU university. You may not have the highest chances of all applicants but definitely do apply if Oxford is what you want.

This really gives me some confidence!!! Thank you. Would you mind sharing your experience like what have you done to strengthen your application?
Original post by Vasarihzdx.
This really gives me some confidence!!! Thank you. Would you mind sharing your experience like what have you done to strengthen your application?

Glad to help! Do you still match Oxford's A-levels entry requirements for your course with that A? If not, I would start by registering to retake it so that you can have A* predicted again in UCAS. Aside from that, there is no single thing you can do to 'strengthen' your application - you have lower chances than others with lower grade in core subject and so you need to excel everywhere else, so focus on having the best possible PS/reference (so choose your referee, preferably one from university, wisely)/uni predicted grades/entrance exam(s) and interview.

Best of luck and I hope you will enjoy your time wherever you end up!
Original post by NeXT2530

Hi. I applied to Oxford this year and got rejected. I am thinking about reapplying while starting uni at another British (English or Scottish) uni. Do you think that would hurt my chance because I've already started a course similar to the one I'll apply to again at Oxford? Also, do you think Scottish uni would be considered "European"? Thank you!
Original post by AnyaDeLaMole
Hi. I applied to Oxford this year and got rejected. I am thinking about reapplying while starting uni at another British (English or Scottish) uni. Do you think that would hurt my chance because I've already started a course similar to the one I'll apply to again at Oxford? Also, do you think Scottish uni would be considered "European"? Thank you!

Hi,
Scottish uni will be classified as UK one and you will most likely never know whether it has hurt your chances or not. I'd advise to explain somehow, even if vaguely, why you want to apply even though you study something similar (though if it's similar to some extent - that may be your point) in your Personal Statement. Also, remember that you'll need university referee and that you will only have few weeks before start of your term and Oxford UCAS deadline so find and "befriend" some lecturer/professor fast. For now, just focus on your A-Levels or equivalent as you need to meet the entry requirements and the more you surpass them the higher your chances.

I personally know one person (and I am not even from the UK so don't know many people at Scottish unis) that has applied to Oxford after one year at top Scottish university (one of St Andrews/Edinburgh) and he had no problem with it so you can be as successful. Good luck!
Hi I just got rejected today for Oxford PPE and I have an offer for Nottingham PPE. It hasn't changed anything for me other than the fact that I will be going to Nottingham and if Oxford is still what I want come that time then ill have to do things differently. Has anyone got an advice for me on how to approach it a second time round. I also think I can get 4 A* in my A levels. I have 7 A* and 3 As in GCSE and I just really love learning and academia. I have requested feedback to see why they didn't take me.

How did you go about doing things?
Hi! I'm in pretty much the same situation as the person above^^. Would you need references from your school teachers or from your new university? Would they judge me harshly because I'd technically have done two or three months at another University at interview, and thus would weigh me up against their own first years? Would my submitted work need to be from my school or from my University? Or would it be better for me to just go on a gap year? Someone please help! So many questions, this is a crazy, turbulent time haha
Hi! I wanted to go to Oxford as well, but got rejected and I’m currently studying at King’s. How did you find your experience at KCL? Did you apply for Oxford in your second year?I’m torn between trying again and continuing my education at King’s so an advice would be really helpful! Thanks
Honestly, ask the uni admissions. We’re all ammeters here!
Original post by andreea20202
Hi! I wanted to go to Oxford as well, but got rejected and I’m currently studying at King’s. How did you find your experience at KCL? Did you apply for Oxford in your second year?I’m torn between trying again and continuing my education at King’s so an advice would be really helpful! Thanks

I’m at Kings as well, doing PPE and had this dilemma this summer over whether to reapply. I would recommend you just carry on and maybe apply to Oxford for a postgraduate instead.
Original post by mishieru07
I would not recommend doing this at all. Someone in my college got accepted for Law, and had failed to declare that he had already started studying Law as a first year at another university when he interviewed. My tutors were very unhappy when they found out, and I think he got hauled before the college to explain himself. He ended up transferring to another college, but he could very well have lost his place at Oxford altogether for his lack of honesty.

I know it’s been a few years but can you private message me. I want to speak to you about something regarding this matter. It’s a matter of urgency
Hello, I am currently in a similar situation.

I am set to start my studies at KCL Oct 2021 and I would like to re-apply to Oxford before the Oct 2021 deadline. Is this possible?
I have no desire to take a gap year, reasons being :

1) I have nothing planned out and given COVID-19, travelling etc does not seem as fun as it could be pre/post pandemic.
2) I do not want to give up my place at KCL without an offer from Oxford

If my application is possible, Do I need to mention KCL in my UCAS even though I literally would have started last week? Can I use my school reference and personal statement that I used in 2020? (not asking for advice, asking if this is possible) Can I still get student finance for the entire 3 years at Oxford?

If (fingers crossed) I have a successful application, I will either drop out immediately or continue my first year of studies, this would depend on :

1) If I am successful in finding work placements, volunteer work etc that significantly outweighs the benefits of getting a head start on a first year at Oxford through KCL
2) if the net financial cost of finishing one year at KCL means I am better off literally doing anything else less expensive (e.g living at home or pursing some interests)
3) if I am just having an absolute blast at KCL (I know the rep is London nightlife can rival if not outclasses any other locations)

Additionally, I read somewhere on TSR that a conditional offer can be made based on your first year of studies. Is this the truth? No where on Oxford's website does it mention conditional offers made for undergraduate courses based on grades from another undergraduate course. I assume all offers would be unconditional.

I am choosing to still pursue Oxford over KCL because the reward (Oxford!) is much greater than the cost (one admission test and one interview, I will have my A-level grades on hand by then which means studying for one admission test can be done without needing to balance anything else (which was the case in Y12-Y13 as I needed to study for mocks, attend school etc)). This is just my personal opinion.

Thank you for any information you can give me.

Latest

Trending

Trending