Anyone going to Oxford??? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I have an AAA offer from Magdalen for Physiological Sciences, which appears to have the lowest quota in the entire university, who doesn't really care whether they have any Physiology students or not.

But the main Physiology guy at Magdalen is the brother of Judge Jules! Wooooooooooo.
plasmotron
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
im going to oxford, brookes that is.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Dont worry about other people.
If you want 3 A's you can get it easily....

thats not a very nice thing to say.

i want 3 A's more than anything in the world. i've worked my arse off the last 6 months to try and get them, and i still have to just hope the boundries come down on p3.and sit with my fingers crossed till august. whether i get AAA or not, its not been easy.

love Katy ***
Forders
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeah, i got an offer of 3AAAs to do medicine at queen's
but i think i might get AAB, coz physics aqa(A) was well hard. got synoptic 2moro, wish me luck!
i know some1 whos going to queens to do meds next year. gosh isnt it a small world. unless ur that person in which case, hi jonathan!!

xxx
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by Egan1
Do you not apply for a particular college? I thought you had to apply for the college before attending and interview and being accepted etc etc?
Yep, that's right, I did apply to Hertford college & had my interview there, but they didnt give me an offer for there, they gave me an open offer.
I don't think I find out what college until after the A level results are out, but I was just wondering if anyone knows if thats right?
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would have thought so- until they know who got what results they wont be able to say for definate who has got in so they'll need to wait to find a space...well I assume that's how it works with open offers anyway- could be wrong?
Unreg
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Hi,
I hoped you guys havent all given up on this thread.. i've never seen this forum before but you're oxbridge chat caught my attention. I finished my A-levels last year but had to take a year out for medical reasons and i was thinking of applying to oxford in teh coming oxford and I wanted to hear people's experiences of it. I am absolutely torn between law and ppe but I still don't feel like I know enough about what type of person you need to be to study either- any thoughts? Secondly, if you have done the interviews what type of things are asked? I have 5As at A-level but I still don't think I'd do well at interview. Help?
Sarah
dusty
Report 15 years ago
If you're turly interested in your subject, you won't need help. Just enthusiasm, if you've got an interview, you'll have the mental ability, I know clever people who didn't get offers because they're more passionate about driving for example. Can you talk the socks off someone when you're rambling about your suject? Engage with your interviewers, ask *them* questions about the subject, be imaginative, you lead the dscussion as far as you can at interview.

Hope you're over your medical thingy by the way, all the best.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by Unreg
Hi,
I am absolutely torn between law and ppe but I still don't feel like I know enough about what type of person you need to be to study either- any thoughts? Secondly, if you have done the interviews what type of things are asked? I have 5As at A-level but I still don't think I'd do well at interview. Help?
Sarah
As I think I have stated...my brother is doing PPE at oxford (has just finished his first year and done well enough in the end of year exam thingymagigies...). He hadn't studied any of the subjects before but I believe is enjoying them all...he loves the social side- is very involved in the oxford RPG society (it's amazing as he is now out and about all the time where as before he was *how to put this?* unsociable...) He wants to go back to live there after uni...
Anyway that's probably generally unhelpful so far...basically I don't think you could say there is a particular sort of person for a course...I mean obviously you should be interested in the course and enjoy doing the work aswell as being prepared to work very hard etc etc
The interview process is long! Or atleast it was for my brother. He went down and had to stay for a few days. He was asked a lot of economics and philosophy related questions (although as I said you don't have to have studied the subjects before...) but apparently *am just talking to him* it depends on the college you apply for.

Anyway...that's all I could really say...

blah
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
im going to oxford,

brookes that is!
iluvthesun
Report 15 years ago
I have an AAA offer from Magdalen for Physiological Sciences

what are you going to do after you graduate? have you heard of the fast track thingy that lets you go into clinical school after one year? that's if, like me, you want to do medicine, of course.
kat
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
deeppink
has anyone before applied to do music at cambridge, and know what the interviews and tests are like? or is anyone else interested in applying to do it also!
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
similar question to Kat's, but about Economics and management at Oxford.

Phil
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ditto kat + phil's about psychology at oxford.

i got the application forms today- what have people written in the additional information box? we got told by someone from oxford who is employed to encourage people from colleges to apply to write that we are involved as part of the further education initiative, but is there anything else useful that can be written?

thanx! lou xxx
Grapefruit Lady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by iluvthesun

what are you going to do after you graduate? have you heard of the fast track thingy that lets you go into clinical school after one year? that's if, like me, you want to do medicine, of course.
I haven't really thought about what I'll do after that - there isn't really a career to be had in Physiology, unless you count research, and I don't think that's really for me. I have heard of medicine courses for graduates - at Oxford I think you can only do that if you get a 1st in Physiology, and in any case I'm not interested in being a doctor. I'm only doing Physiology because it's the thing that interests me most, not because of the job opportunities (which are few and far between).

I might do a second degree after this one, possibly in Linguistics, because that at least has some scope for the type of research I'd like to do, and I'd get to go travelling!

Are you going to do Physiology at uni too?
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How has the application gone? I am thinking about the Psychology and/or Psychology and Physiology course at oxford too and would welcome any info you have on it...my email is [email protected]
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
What A Levels are you doing??? What offers have you got?

I got a place to read physics and need 3 As, but I've heard that other people have got offers of 2 A's and a B which is well unfair.

Also why do Cambridge take people with four As simply on principle? Like, I know somebody who got a place to do Natural Sciences and needs to get an A is german- how mad can you get!
I don't think Cambridge do take people with 4 As on principle. If they did that now they would have way too many people for the places with the numbers of people achieving 3,4, or 5 A grades. I am lucky to know from experience that they don't always make 3 A offers. Also, German may not be relevant to Natural sciences, but testing to see if your pal can handle the pressure of achieving A grades in all subjects is certainly relevant to whether he/she could handle the pressure of the university. Many congratulations on your offer BTW!
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
I don't think Cambridge do take people with 4 As on principle. If they did that now they would have way too many people for the places with the numbers of people achieving 3,4, or 5 A grades. I am lucky to know from experience that they don't always make 3 A offers. Also, German may not be relevant to Natural sciences, but testing to see if your pal can handle the pressure of achieving A grades in all subjects is certainly relevant to whether he/she could handle the pressure of the university. Many congratulations on your offer BTW!
Further to what Haz said;

Some schools do not have the teaching/facilities that others do. I think this is the primary reason for the AAA OR AAB offer. Also, if they really want you to study there but cannot justify a metriculation/unconditional offer then AAB might be given instead.

I got an AAB offer (along with two Step papers) for Trinity and couldn't even make that!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Hi, Egan1, sorry its such a late reply, i have been away..the advice was helpful, and i was just wondering if your brother would post sumthing to give me a hand.. hope you're still reading this thread! :P its just that even though I have teh grades, and I am interested in my subject, the medical thing I was talking about, well its Post Traumatic Stress, becos I was runover really badly, and it has made me feel very unconfident about going to interview and I could really do with some advice. Hope thats not a bit "forward" for you :P and you're still here :P
Sarah
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
This is Egan's aforementioned brother, it's a bit hard to offer interview advice since I believe that every college handles it a bit differently. Based on my experience at Catz however I would say the following-
1. Don't worry too much about the written test- My performance was 'disappointing' but they still took me on the basis of my interviews.
2. Don't be concerned about the number of face to face interviews you have- you've no way of knowing whether having a certain number is good or bad. I had about five (I presume) because they were unsure whether they wanted me or not; several other people who got in only had three.
3. Don't panic if you screw something up, the interviewers generally point out your error. Accept the mistake and get on with things.
4. Try to enjoy the interviews; I firmly believe that it is more important to relish the questions than to answer them correctly. The tutors can help you with ignorance, but only if you're willing and eager to learn.

That's all that springs to mind right now. Let me know if you have any other queries/concerns, I'm sure Egan will let me know about any relevant posts.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (179)
18.8%
No (573)
60.19%
Not really bothered about them (200)
21.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise