The Student Room Group

Stephen Fry to marry boy toy

[h="1"]Stephen Fry to marry partner Elliott Spencer[/h][h="1"]Stephen Fry to marry partner Elliott Spencer[/h]Elliott Spencer has yet to comment on the proposed marriage to Stephen Fry
Continue reading the main story[h="2"]Related Stories[/h]

Stephen Fry has confirmed he is to marry his partner, Elliott Spencer.
Comedian and writer Fry, 57, has given formal notice to wed Mr Spencer, 27, at a register office in Dereham, Norfolk, near where he grew up.
Writing on Twitter after The Sun newspaper revealed the marriage plans, Fry said: "Oh. It looks as though a certain cat is out of a certain bag.
"I'm very very happy of course but had hoped for a private wedding. Fat chance!"
A photo of the couple had been posted on Elliott Spencer's Twitter profile
Stephen Fry appeared alongside Orlando Bloom in the recent Hobbit films
The pair are thought to have started their relationship last year.
Fry, a director of Norwich City Football Club, has been a familiar face on television since the 1980s and is most recently known for presenting the comedy quiz show QI, as well as for acting roles in The Hobbit and the latest series of 24.
His personal assistant said: "Stephen Fry is very happy and proud to say that he has set the wheels in motion for a wedding sometime in the future but no date has been set due to a busy work schedule."

According to documents on display in Norwich, the wedding will take place in Breckland Business Centre, which houses the register office.
The ceremony room is the "outstanding feature" of the building, according to the Norfolk County Council website.
It says: "Decorated in a modern style, in shades of turquoise, lilac and purple, there is seating for 40 people."
On the paperwork, Fry gives his occupation as an actor, while Mr Spencer is listed as a writer.
Stephen Fry said on Twitter that he had hoped for a private wedding
The notification of Stephen Fry and Elliott Spencer's intention to be married was issued on 23 December
Stephen Fry gave formal notice to wed Elliott Spencer at a register office in Dereham
Fry, who has spoken openly about his struggles with drug abuse and depression, has largely kept his love life private, although he reportedly separated from a long-term partner five years ago.
He has also spoken about a suicide attempt in 2012 which saw him take "a huge number of pills and a huge (amount) of vodka" while filming a documentary about homophobia around the world.

Stephen Fry

Born in London in 1957 and grew up in Booton, Norfolk

Attended Cambridge University, where he began a long-running partnership with Hugh Laurie

The two appeared together in programmes including Blackadder, Jeeves and Wooster and A Bit of Fry and Laurie

His film roles include playing his idol Oscar Wilde and he also directed a film, Bright Young Things, in 2003

Lent his voice to audiobook versions of the Harry Potter series, Roald Dahl adaptations and a number of video games

Technology is one of his passions and he was an early adopter of Twitter, where he is followed by 8 million users

Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry starred in TV shows including Blackadder

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-30693048

Scroll to see replies

I wonder when the headlines are going to read. "First high profile gay divorce: Stephen Fry taken to the cleaners by hubbie."
More photos of the soon-to-be Console of the Freedom of City of London:

Best of luck to him, I suppose the relationship could work.

Still think he's a **** though.
Original post by Gott
I hate his pseudo intellectuality. They'll probably be wheeling him onto QI when he is 130

I doubt QI will still be around.
Original post by perfectsymbology
I wonder when the headlines are going to read. "First high profile gay divorce: Stephen Fry taken to the cleaners by hubbie."

You mean Ricky Martin's doesn't count? Or Rosie O’Donnell's? Or Jodie Foster's? Or Ellen DeGeneres's?
Having to suck sweaty old man balls every night for a multi-million divorce is a tough gig though.
Having to suck sweaty old man balls every night for a multi-million divorce is a tough gig though.

How'd you know he sucks?
If it's genuine then I'm really happy for them but Elliot looks so uncomfortable in all of the pictures. At least look mildly interested in him.
Wonder how quickly his depression will return when the relationship falls through.
Original post by clh_hilary
How'd you know he sucks?

Because by a process of deduction I have concluded that it is the only logical conclusion.

star-trek-500x450.jpg
Because by a process of deduction I have concluded that it is the only logical conclusion.

He might be the top like Tommy is.
Original post by Anonymous #2
If it's genuine then I'm really happy for them but Elliot looks so uncomfortable in all of the pictures. At least look mildly interested in him.

Yeah. I don't sense that he's not interested in him, but I feel that he's not comfortable. I thought it was the cameras.
You mean Ricky Martin's doesn't count? Or Rosie O’Donnell's? Or Jodie Foster's? Or Ellen DeGeneres's?

Women don't count. Was Ricky Martin married?
Reply 14
Original post by tengentoppa
Best of luck to him, I suppose the relationship could work.

Still think he's a **** though.

Whys that
This is weird the guys 30 years younger than Fry.
Original post by holmes221
This is weird the guys 30 years younger than Fry.

The President of Mind can marry whoever He wishes to marry.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Women don't count. Was Ricky Martin married?

Apparently not.
Original post by Borgia
Whys that

He ran away from a West End production after a bad review, leaving everyone in the lurch.

I've met him and he's very unpleasant to people who disagree with him in any way. He also came across as smug and self-righteous, and his pathetic boycott of HIGNFY and his stupid comments confirm that.
Yeah. I don't sense that he's not interested in him, but I feel that he's not comfortable. I thought it was the cameras.

It still could be the cameras, I'm assuming Stephen is a lot more comfortable around them than him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending