Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE Grades: 4 A*'s 2 A'S, 3 B's 3 C's
    AS level Grades: Geography A, History B (A's in 2 modules, D in another we weren't taught so resitting), English Lit C (resitting whole exam), Theatre Studies B, Critical Thinking C

Predicted Grades: A in Geography A in History A/B in English (AAB)
    Reference and Personal Statement: Excellent

Applying to: History at UCL (AAA-AAB) KCL (AAA-AAB) LSE (ABB) QML (BBB) Goldsmiths (BBB) Westminster (BCC)

OR

If I chose to apply for english, which I'd really love to do but got a bad grade at AS, I'd be applying to:

UCL (AAA-AAB) KCL (AAB) QML (BBB) Goldsmiths (BBB) Kingston (ABB-CCC) Westminster (BCC)

OR

A combined lit and history degree:

QML (BBB) Goldsmiths (BBB) Kingston (ABB-CCC) Westminster (BCC)

Could you give your views on what you feel my chances are of getting into these universities, whether im being too ambitious and what my best options are.

THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    i don't think you have any realistic chance of getting into UCL or KCL with a C in english for english lit. you'd have more chance with goldsmiths or queen mary at a push - maybe with a B grade, but i think applying with a C is really pushing it; i wouldn't bother with westminster or kingston personally as they are pretty rubbish. (my personal opinion.) if you really want to do english lit at a good university i would recommend retaking, getting the grade up to an A and applying in a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you want to stay in London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eskimo Melon)
    My GCSE Grades: 4 A*'s 2 A'S, 3 B's 3 C's
    AS level Grades: Geography A, History B (A's in 2 modules, D in another we weren't taught so resitting), English Lit C (resitting whole exam), Theatre Studies B, Critical Thinking C

Predicted Grades: A in Geography A in History A/B in English (AAB)
    Reference and Personal Statement: Excellent

Applying to: History at UCL (AAA-AAB) KCL (AAA-AAB) LSE (ABB) QML (BBB) Goldsmiths (BBB) Westminster (BCC)

OR

If I chose to apply for english, which I'd really love to do but got a bad grade at AS, I'd be applying to:

UCL (AAA-AAB) KCL (AAB) QML (BBB) Goldsmiths (BBB) Kingston (ABB-CCC) Westminster (BCC)

OR

A combined lit and history degree:

QML (BBB) Goldsmiths (BBB) Kingston (ABB-CCC) Westminster (BCC)

Could you give your views on what you feel my chances are of getting into these universities, whether im being too ambitious and what my best options are.

THANKS!

You'd be better off choosing one of the universities that require higher grades as your first choice if that's where you really want to go and using one of the universities that require lower grades as your reserve. At least then you have a realistic chance of getting into uni.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Seeing as the Unis wont be seeing your As results and you are TOTALLY confident that you can get an A or a B in English then i dont see a problem you GCSEs are pretty good.

On the whole what course should you apply to and the Unis with your grades i wouldnt go for westminster or probably Kingston. Are you willing to look outside or London or not?

ReputationRep:
    Uni's don't see your AS results? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Uni's don't see your AS results?
    I'm not sure, but I think that they do if the AS results have been 'cashed in' - i.e. certified

ReputationRep:
    do unis see marks out of 90 etc when u cash in on an AS result

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donno)
    do unis see marks out of 90 etc when u cash in on an AS result
    Only if you specify your module grades. otherwise they dont

ReputationRep:
    UCL and KCL are pushing it a bit, but they say AAA-AAB and you're predicted AAB, so definitely worth a try. LSE and QMUL seem realistic, but unless you really like the look of the others, I wouldn't bother applying to them with your predictions (not meaning to sound like a snob, but you can do better). In terms of which course you should go for, just apply for whichever one you most want to do, or a mix.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, UCL & KCL will definitely be a stretch if you have cashed in your AS results. But they are only 2 choices and if you're restricting yourself to London, you might struggle to find 6 other.

I think you could do better than Kingston/Westminster with your grades/predictions (no offence to anyone going there). Your "insurance" choices assume you will drop from ABC at AS to CCC and you are resitting modules, with predictions of AA & A/B. BBB/BBC should be very safe, so I wouldn't look any lower than that. this might be controversial but at least some of what you learn at uni is from your fellow students and you should aim to be among as bright (or at least well qualified) a bunch as you can manage.

If you decide on English, have a look at Royal Holloway in Egham. English course has a very good reputation and not too far out of London.

You could try posting on the English & History forums for more detailed advice on London courses.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm surpirsed why people on this thread doubts that you will make it into KCL. Now UCL is in my opinion is really pushing it but you should apply because it only takes up one space. KCL seems to be played up as someone where you need straight A*s at GCSE and 4 As at A level. I recently got an email reply from the department

"Next year by far our most common offer will be 3 A's, with a B at AS. The A2 entry requirements are not determined by the type of school applicants study at, but how well prepared we believe they have been for their A levels. There are many state schools which prepare students as well for their exams as private schools, and we'd insist on 3 A's in both cases. We are interested in a student's potential to develop, rather than purely their academic attainment up to now, so we recognise there are cases where an applicant who would make a very good King's history student will not get 3 A grades." Jon E. Wilson

I guess if you attended one of the top independent schools in the country I doubt you will get an offer. However you didn't and I think you will stand a good chance of getting an interview, and you will have to impress them there. (over 68% of students are private school educated at KCL in 2005 according to website)

ReputationRep:
    Hi Is it true that the universities only see your GCSE grades because i put my AS grades on my UCAS and they wer not brilliant at all . Im applying to KCL for French and German their standard requirement is BBB I got A -German C French 2 marks frm a B and Ds in Biology and Chemistry.. Dont ask! i had a bad year My predicted grades are AABB and my personal statement was excellent when my ucas was sent off.. Do I have a chance at KCL RHUL and Warwick.. my remaining offers left still to get ????

ReputationRep:
    ok how the hell did you get predicted from acdd to aabb? God thats ridiculous. Everyone in biology got predicted the same grade as to what they got at AS.

ReputationRep:
    Asking if you have a realistic chance in here is the same as trying to make a pile of rubble talk back to you.

ReputationRep:
    i think your best option is to choose the course first, based on how much you would enjoy the modules each uni is offering, as you said you really wanted to study english.
    Then choose the uni's you want to go to based on the course you chose... you could even apply to four of one course and 2 of another - make a combination of courses
    Choose the combination of uni's that you know that you'll be able to live up to grade-wise. Also choose one which is of your academic level.
    If you're predicted ABB, you might not want to go to uni's where people have CCC, as they won't be of the same academic standard. I don't mean that in a rude way, but you might not find the course as challenging if you have ABB potential and go to a CCC uni.

If that makes sense!

The best piece of advice I can give you is to go with your gut feeling! If your uni choices don't feel right you might regret it. Make sure you choose ones you're totally happy to go to, however long it takes for you to decide

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v2006)
    ok how the hell did you get predicted from acdd to aabb? God thats ridiculous. Everyone in biology got predicted the same grade as to what they got at AS.
    she got ABBC...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it might be an idea to phone up the university and ask the admissions tutor directly...
    I asked all my choices and they confirmed that my grades were good enough to be considered, and whether it was worth applying... i got ABC and Imperial, UCL, Warwick and Durham all said i have enough for Chemistry/Chemical Engineering (with exception of ChemEng at imperial, who said if they made an offer it would be AAA after retakes)

However, iv finished my alevels, and so maybe slightly different, but im sure the way you come across over the phone may make them more interested. maybe ask them to take ur name down, so if they know who they spoke to.

ReputationRep:
    Well im sorry if i had a bad year .. and teachers saw that and they realise my potential is at least a B grade in Biology and Chemistry because they have faith in me and i worked solidly hard all year and just fell down in one exam! And as for French I had serious problems with the conduction of my speaking exam and my teacher which caused me to get a bad grade in the other 2 modules i got high Bs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prinzessin1988)
    Hi Is it true that the universities only see your GCSE grades because i put my AS grades on my UCAS and they wer not brilliant at all . Im applying to KCL for French and German their standard requirement is BBB I got A -German C French 2 marks frm a B and Ds in Biology and Chemistry.. Dont ask! i had a bad year My predicted grades are AABB and my personal statement was excellent when my ucas was sent off.. Do I have a chance at KCL RHUL and Warwick.. my remaining offers left still to get ????
    Your predicted grades are above the standard required by KCL, but because predicted grades so often turn out to be an over-estimate, they might be a bit suspicious of predicted grades of ABB in subjects you got CDD in at AS. Your GCSEs are good though, and the personal statement and reference will definitely help, so you should at least get an interview (if they interview, that is). From there, it should be mostly down to how you do in that.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.