Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I've just received an offer for Psychology and I think Nottingham will be my first choice! I can't find a thread for 2015 applicants, so I thought I'd start one!

Who else has received an offer? Also, what has made you put Nottingham as your first or second choice?

If there is anyone reading this who already studies Psychology at Nottingham, what is the course like in terms of practical study? Lastly, how good is the feedback for Psychology students and what is the year aboard like?

Thank-you

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a current Psychology 3rd year so feel free to ask any questions about the course! In terms of practicals, in 1st year you have 3 hour labs once a fortnight and about 6 lab reports to complete over the course of the year - these aren't too bad as long as you don't leave it all until the day before it's due in. You also have 2 pieces of coursework essays per term, then all the exams are in multiple choice format.

In second year, you have labs every week and 4 lab reports to complete over the year and no coursework, then in third year you have your project (basically your dissertation) which you spend the year completing.

The feedback is good and if you're worried the lecturers are more than happy to help you out - but you will have to seek them out because it's not like school and they won't chase you around. As for year abroad, I didn't personally go but I know people who've/are completing them in Amsterdam, Sweden, Malaysia, Australia etc... so there's plenty of choice, and you can always go and study at the Malaysia campus for a semester if you don't want to add a whole year onto your degree.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I too have an offer from Nottingham and want to make it my firm choice - love the course and uni! Just kinda got one of those "this is where I want to go" feelings when I looked round it! Love the campus and the lecturers seemed really lovely when I spoke to them. Interested to know other people's opinions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leilalala)
    Hi,

I'm a current Psychology 3rd year so feel free to ask any questions about the course! In terms of practicals, in 1st year you have 3 hour labs once a fortnight and about 6 lab reports to complete over the course of the year - these aren't too bad as long as you don't leave it all until the day before it's due in. You also have 2 pieces of coursework essays per term, then all the exams are in multiple choice format.

In second year, you have labs every week and 4 lab reports to complete over the year and no coursework, then in third year you have your project (basically your dissertation) which you spend the year completing.

The feedback is good and if you're worried the lecturers are more than happy to help you out - but you will have to seek them out because it's not like school and they won't chase you around. As for year abroad, I didn't personally go but I know people who've/are completing them in Amsterdam, Sweden, Malaysia, Australia etc... so there's plenty of choice, and you can always go and study at the Malaysia campus for a semester if you don't want to add a whole year onto your degree.

Hope that helps
    Thank-you so much for replying! That's definitely helped ! The course does sound amazing! I have yet to see the campus though and I've never actually been to Nottingham. So I'm wondering, what's the area like? I've read a lot about high crime rates ! Have you heard/known of anything crime-related to happen at your time at uni? I'm sure it's not as bad as everyone has made it out to be, but just want to be sure before I firm it.

Thank-you

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.