Studying Optometry at the University of Bradford: Ask your questions Watch

ray96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is anyone applying here? Worried I won't get an offer as I'm a resit applicant with CCD, anyone with similar grades got an offer from here and are bradford lenient?

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Bradford
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We at the University of Bradford usually require A Level applicants to achieve a total of 340 UCAS tariff points (A,A,B) from 3 full A Levels. We require the A,A grades to come from 2 pure science subjects (this includes Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics). The third A Level can be any subject excluding general studies. One re-sit per subject may be acceptable.
In addition to this we expect all applicants to have a minimum of 5 GCSE's to include English Language, Mathematics and Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Combined Science.
Further information relating to our Optometry BSc (Hons) course can be found on our website at http://www.bradford.ac.uk/courses/vi...ry-bsc-3-years
I can see from your post that you're already an applicant with us. If you email our Course Enquiries Department at [email protected] with your UCAS reference number we can speak with our Admissions Department and give you more specific advice and assistance.
ray96
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Bradford)
We at the University of Bradford usually require A Level applicants to achieve a total of 340 UCAS tariff points (A,A,B) from 3 full A Levels. We require the A,A grades to come from 2 pure science subjects (this includes Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics). The third A Level can be any subject excluding general studies. One re-sit per subject may be acceptable.
In addition to this we expect all applicants to have a minimum of 5 GCSE's to include English Language, Mathematics and Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Combined Science.
Further information relating to our Optometry BSc (Hons) course can be found on our website at http://www.bradford.ac.uk/courses/vi...ry-bsc-3-years
I can see from your post that you're already an applicant with us. If you email our Course Enquiries Department at [email protected] with your UCAS reference number we can speak with our Admissions Department and give you more specific advice and assistance.
I really want to study optometry at bradford so if i was not to be given an offer what are my options

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Bradford
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you currently have grades C, C, D with two of the grades being in pure science subjects, the likely hood is that our Admissions Team will make you a "Conditional Offer". The condition would be that you achieve grades A, A, B in your resits.
Alongside your academic achievements please also bear in mind that our Admissions Team will take into account relevant work experience and your personal statement.
If achieving A, A, B from 3 full A Levels seems unrealistic you may wish to contact our Admissions Department directly and seek further advice from them. They can be reached at [email protected].
Hope this helps and best of luck!
owen95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have applied here for optometry and im doing an access to HE SCIENCE. I will be appying as a mature student. Im worried as although I have GCSE maths English & double science all my other qualifications were GCSE equivalent eg NVQ OR BTEC. I have had a response asking if I had any other GCSE's but as only equivalent im worried this will effect my application. I am currently working in an opticians as a optical advisor so im hoping this may help. Good luck and fingers crossed - owen nichol
University of Bradford
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by owen95)
I have applied here for optometry and im doing an access to HE SCIENCE. I will be appying as a mature student. Im worried as although I have GCSE maths English & double science all my other qualifications were GCSE equivalent eg NVQ OR BTEC. I have had a response asking if I had any other GCSE's but as only equivalent im worried this will effect my application. I am currently working in an opticians as a optical advisor so im hoping this may help. Good luck and fingers crossed - owen nichol
We do accept applicants who have studied on an Access to Science course. Usually we require Access applicants to obtain 30 of the 45 level 3 units with a Distinction and the remaining 15 level 3 units at Merit. In addition to the Access qualification applicants are required to have at least 5 GCSEs including English Language, Mathematics and either Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Combined Science.

Equivalent Level 2 qualifications are not usually accepted but if you respond to the email you’ve received with specific information about the NVQ and BTEC qualifications you have the Admissions Department can let you know for definite (their email address is [email protected]).

Please be aware that the Admissions Team will take into account the fact that you are currently working in an Opticians as an Optical Advisor and will look at your entire application – not just your academic results.

Best of luck and if you need any further assistance or advice please do let me know!
owen95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi I have had a conditional offer so I was wondering if anyone had some advice when is best to apply for student finance and how to apply for student accommodation?
University of Bradford
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi I have had a conditional offer so I was wondering if anyone had some advice when is best to apply for student finance and how to apply for student accommodation?
We would encourage you to complete your Student Finance England application as soon as possible. To make an application and for further information about Student Finance England please visit their website at https://www.gov.uk/student-finance or contact them directly on 0300 100 0607.

With regards to accommodation you may be interested in our student accommodation. Further information about our accommodation alongside information about how to apply can be found on our website at http://www.bradford.ac.uk/student/accommodation/

Hope this helps - If you need any further guidance or information please do let me know.
ray96
Rep:
?
Hi ,
Good to see another optom applicant, I've just completed my student finance and they say it takes 6weeks to get back to you. In terms of accomdation the green looks nice but quite expensive. Is bradford your first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
owen95
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi
the green does look nice but I agree pricey.. I have also been looking at private halls as alot cheaper the Forster halls look ok but im so confused as there doesn't seem to be any newish threads about accommodation.
Keep me informed if u hear anything
Alishafiaz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would be in the exact same situation! I'm planning to start the access course this September, have you heard back from any of the universities yet? And which ones accept the access courses? Some of the websites don't even mention them, I've only seen Plymouth and Bradford so far. My ideal would be City, or Aston though. Which universities have you applied to? What results are going to get in your course?
SORRY for all the questions, but I really want to know whether I will have a chance before I start all of it.
University of Bradford
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Alishafiaz)
I would be in the exact same situation! I'm planning to start the access course this September, have you heard back from any of the universities yet? And which ones accept the access courses? Some of the websites don't even mention them, I've only seen Plymouth and Bradford so far. My ideal would be City, or Aston though. Which universities have you applied to? What results are going to get in your course?
SORRY for all the questions, but I really want to know whether I will have a chance before I start all of it.
I’m aware your query wasn’t addressed to me but I thought I’d have a go at addressing some of your concerns.

As you’re already aware, we do accept applicants who have studied on an Access to Science course. Usually we require access applicants to obtain 30 of the 45 level 3 units with a Distinction and the remaining 15 level 3 units at Merit. Additionally applicants are required to have at least 5 GCSEs including English Language, Mathematics and either Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Combined Science.

A lot of Universities are now considering and accepting access applicants. I’ve done a quick search on UCAS and it looks like City considers access applicants on an individual basis and Aston do not consider access applicants at all. With this said I would strongly recommend you contact each of these institutions directly for a definitive and accurate answer.

I hope you find this information useful and I wish you the best of luck with your access course and securing a place at University! If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to get in touch.
umar11996
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
I've applied for optometry for 2015 entry at Bradford university and I'm just concerned if I don't achieve AAB required to enter the course, if they would consider work experience at an opticians?
University of Bradford
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by umar11996)
Hi,
I've applied for optometry for 2015 entry at Bradford university and I'm just concerned if I don't achieve AAB required to enter the course, if they would consider work experience at an opticians?
The usual requirement for an A Level applicant interested in our Optometry BSc (Hons) course is 340 UCAS tariff points (AAB) from 3 A levels. The AA grades must be in 2 pure science subjects with the third A level coming from any subject excluding general studies. In addition to these A Level requirements applicants are required to obtain a minimum of 5 GCSEs to include English Language, Mathematics and Science.

It would be difficult to fully resolve your query at this stage in the application process. I would recommend you work hard to meet the conditions of your offer and if you fall short contact us again with your actual grades so that we can look into the possibility of amending your offer given your relevant work experience.

Sorry I can’t give you a more definite answer and wish you all best with your studies. If you need anything else let me know.
umar11996
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks, just a general question how many places do you offer for optometry?
University of Bradford
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by umar11996)
Thanks, just a general question how many places do you offer for optometry?
The places for our Optometry BSc (Hons) course for 2015 have not yet be finalised. With that said it’s generally somewhere between 100 and 120; last year there were 115 places.

Sorry I can’t give you a more accurate answer. Hope this information helps nevertheless and if you need anything else do let me know.
STUDYREVISE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Posted on TheStudentRoom
University of Bradford
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by STUDYREVISE)
So you give about 110 places, but how many people apply exactly for optometry?
Last year our Admissions Team received between 800-900 applications and they've received about the same number of applications this year. I don't have the exact number to hand but this will hopefully give you an idea. If you need anything else do let me know.
rkhan34
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by University of Bradford)
Last year our Admissions Team received between 800-900 applications and they've received about the same number of applications this year. I don't have the exact number to hand but this will hopefully give you an idea. If you need anything else do let me know.
Do you roughly know how many people put Bradford as their firm?
University of Bradford
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rkhan34)
Do you roughly know how many people put Bradford as their firm?
To date, for 2015 entry, we’ve had 191 people make Optometry their firm choice. If you need anything else please feel free to get back in touch or contact our Optometry Admissions Team directly at [email protected].
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads