Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, im Investigating the acidity and alkalinity of water.
    the guide says:

Alkalinity of water is often due to the presence dissolved carbonate and hydrogen carbonate. If this is the case then titration of the sample with an acid can determine the alkalinity of the water.

H2SO4(aq) + 2CO3 2¯ (aq) ------> SO4 2¯ (aq) + 2HCO3¯ (aq)
    H2SO4(aq) + 2HCO3¯ (aq) -------> SO4 2¯ (aq) + 2H2CO3 (aq)

The amount of acid need to bring the pH of the solution initially to 8.3 (reaction with carbonate - if the initial sample is below pH 8.3 then there is no carbonate present) and then to pH 4.5 (reaction with the hydrogen carbonate) can be used to calculate the alkalinity of the sample.

my question is what does it mean by 'the sample', because most 'water' is never at a igher PH than 8.3? so basically i titrate some thing like h2so4 with plain water? thats lame...!??:confused:

ReputationRep:
    any 1 here to help???

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but ask a question on this website: www.chemistry-react.org/

Very useful with are investigations

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but could it mean that you titrate with the acid the burette? That way, 'the sample' could still refer to the water but you wouldn't be doing something silly like trying to neutralise a whole load of H2SO4 with plain water.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 26, 2006

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.