Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachmelba)
    Studies of interviews in the context of job applications have found that predictive power of interviews is only slightly better than graphology (analysis of handwriting)!
    I think there may be a considerable difference between job interviews and Oxbridge interviews. Oxbridge interviews are claimed to be fairly representative of a tutorial/supervision (at least in their style), and these are an important part of the teaching at Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    i would say academic potential is the ability you sit an exam in most subjects and get a decent grade in it.

ReputationRep:
    /\

That's academic performance, not potential.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but if you have academic potential you should be able to breeze most GCSE/A-Level exams...

ReputationRep:
    thats interesting - my tutor keeps saying that I have potential - in fact he said it would be a waste if I diddnt use it - he thinks (and he's right) that I havent put full effort in yet. hes about the only one able to make me feel guilty about not working. what im interested in is - how does he know?? ive asked him loads of times why he thinks I have potential - every time hes refused to answer. any ideas???

Wangers

ReputationRep:
    He's lying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jerby)
    He's lying?
    :rofl:

I'm sure a lot of Oxbridge applicants have been told they're special, and that they have potential, and that they're the best in ______ the teacher's seen in years/ever, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    thats interesting - my tutor keeps saying that I have potential - in fact he said it would be a waste if I diddnt use it - he thinks (and he's right) that I havent put full effort in yet. hes about the only one able to make me feel guilty about not working. what im interested in is - how does he know?? ive asked him loads of times why he thinks I have potential - every time hes refused to answer. any ideas???

Wangers
    You need to believe in yourself before you can do well, as you won't put in the effort otherwise. He may not know for sure that you have potential. That's my view - could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl: lol

Im not special - and I'm pretty stupid on the grander scale of things, he dosnt tell me that at all - he just says show your potential....whatever that means.

Im confident enough in my own intelligence not to need constant superficial praise, some teachers do treat Oxbridge applicants differently - and that irratates me - im still the same person I was - im still as lazy as I was = im not suddenly going to become a workaholic - some teachers dont seem to understand that oxbridge apps have a life too.....

I'll settle for the lying for now

Academic potential is a latent excellence or ability, in academic studies, that has not yet been developed within the student; the possibility, or potentiality, of such ability being what an academic would hope to turn into a reality in the course of the student's studies.

ReputationRep:
    /\

Qui!

ReputationRep:
    academic potential (with regards to oxbridge) means being able to get up at 6am after 3-4 hours of sleep, go for an outing, bin the 9am lecture if necessary, get there for the other lectures and not fall asleep.

ReputationRep:
    From one boatie to another: respect.

ReputationRep:
    Jan, I love your pic.

Magritte is one cool surrealist dude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3.416)
    i know this may sound a bit stupid but im really confused as to what academic potential is, i know good grades show it but how can an interview show it?
    also i would like an idea of what ''poor'' gcse's are.
    Clearly my good friend, it's not you. Apply to Brunel or somewhere ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    this whole "comparing your GCSE results in relation to the avg of your school" seems a bit daft way for Oxbridge to decide or to decide whether your grades are "good"...i mean if youre going to apply for a job when your eg 25 youre not going to say to the person : yea..i know my grades (e.g. all B's) may seem a bit crap..but they were waaaaaay better than anyone else at my school...so that is why i think you should take me instead of the guy who had all A*/As...

imo good grades should be all A*s/As (or atleast 90% of them) with maybe one or two Bs..but then again you have cases where ppl get e.g. 10A*s and then get a C in PE and a C in Eng. lit so there is some area for debate
    But if a person has all Bs and a degree from Oxbridge, I think the employer could overlook the GCSEs, don't you? The point of Oxbridge doing that is to see how much potential you have- if you have all Bs at GCSE but come from a school with teachers who don't turn up to lessons, disruptive students etc etc, you obviously could have done better had you gone to a school with amazing teachers and perfect students. Sure, as with any exams, the student can be self-motivated enough to teach themselves, but this only works to an extent. If you go to a large school where lots of people fail to get 5 GCSEs, your teachers are going to be less fussed and less able to get you from a B (a good grade) to an A or A* than in a small school where you can receive individual support, extra lessons etc etc. I went to a pretty good school and I'm ready to admit that I may have missed my offer had I gone to a really bad school- I was lucky in having small classes, supportive teachers and classmates who weren't disruptive. It made everything a lot easier for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    this is a bit like the talk i had with my class mates about unconditional offers to ppl who still havent got their A2..the subject was..if they got an unconditional offer from Oxbridge (ie EE) would they not bother turning up to school since in the end they would get an oxbridge degree..thing is...people with an Oxbridge degree will most likely be applying to a very high end job...where they will be competing with other oxbridge candidates (+LSE etc) and there wont be any excuse for not having the best of grades.
    But the people who get EE offers from Oxbridge would typically have such high UMS marks that they would only need to get Cs at A2 anyway. So even if they didn't go to lessons, I'm guessing they could do enough last-minute preparation to get those grades. That's not always the case, but I reckon that's how it generally is.

Besides, people who apply to Oxbridge often set themselves high standards anyway. Even if Cambridge had offered me EE, I would still have tried to get AAA otherwise I would know I hadn't lived up to my potential.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.