Why is british culture so awful compared to the rest of europe? Watch

Dexa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I visited southern portugal over the holidays and even though the country is not as developed as britain i noticed the people over there were very dignified and civilised. and i've noticed this in other european countries i've visited such as denmark, germany and italy.

ladies dress fashionably yet modestly, unlike here. they don't look like they've woken up and slapped on a massive amount of makeup while putting on a duckface. you won't see men wearing tracksuits and trainers, people actually look smart and put an effort in how they look.

Also there are no chavs to be seen anywhere. you don't get little nobheads going around in bikes, or a group of youths causing havoc in the town centre. the streets are impeccably clean, people value the ground they walk on and give it care.

i came back to the uk and felt sick at what i saw on my return. from the people to the state of the cities, and british culture in general, i long to finally emigrate from this place. and before someone criticises me for generalising, i do happen to look at this from a general point of view. generally british culture is a lot more awful and disgusting than the rest of europe.

(Original post by Jesuisunpoulet)
British culture

1. Binge drinking
2. Urinating in the street
3. Moaning about everything
4. Radical feminism
5. Claim culture
6. Holier than thou arrogance
7. Having sex with everyone
8. Breeding constantly
9. Poor work ethic
10.Swearing at everyone including the elderly ,your parents,teachers.
11. Stealing from others
12-Plagiarism
13-White Beauty Myth
14-The more 'modern' they are pretty much equates to wearing less and less clothes and sleeping with x number of partners
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do agree in that other European countries are more pleasant but you're in the UK so I guess you have to deal with it.
username1649843
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well glorious Germany yes, but France. They make you proud to be British
Moosie123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What's wrong with track suit bottoms, they're comfortable =[
xylas
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dexa)
x
I used to think like you but you just have to think that those people probably don't see their countries the way you do. Once you get used to a certain environment you are bound to see a lot of pros in other ones.
Dexa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moosie123)
looks awful and makes you seem like you can't be bothered to put an effort in. if everyone in the country worse trackies everyday do you think it would be an appealing sight?
Dexa
Rep:
?
(Original post by xylas)
I used to think like you but you just have to think that those people probably don't see their countries the way you do. Once you get used to a certain environment you are bound to see a lot of pros in other ones.
europeans have hardly anything positive to say about britain in my experience. if it wasn't for london, they wouldn't go near the uk with a barge pole.
ParasiteRex
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You had me until "the streets are impeccably clean". Portugal, and Southern Europe as a whole has a pavement:trash ratio midway between Norway and Liberia.
xylas
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dexa)
europeans have hardly anything positive to say about britain in my experience. if it wasn't for london, they wouldn't go near the uk with a barge pole.
Well yeah, take away the capital of any of these countries and they are bound to be worse.
Evening
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you don't like it then **** off. One less mouth to feed.
Rumschpringe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the main difference in British culture compared to the rest of Europe is the drinking culture. The youth here base their social lives around going to clubs and getting absolutely plastered, whereas overseas it's focused more on food and company. Unfortunately English tourists have a bit of a bad reputation In Spain- native spaniards think they drink too much.
Not that there's anything wrong with either- both are perfectly fun. But obviously different social culture etc leads to different mannerisms of dress and behaviour.
B-FJL3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Perhaps a case of thinking the grass is always greener...? The places you go to in Britain might not be the places a tourist chooses to visit. Similarly you might only be visiting the parts of Europe which tourists like precisely because they look nice...? I don't know where you've been exactly so tell me if I'm way off there.

There are certainly some pretty dodgy looking places that I have seen in Portugal, France and Italy and other parts of Europe. France in particular has plenty of those places where there are people in tracksuits, kids hanging around and rubbish everywhere. Germany I haven't really seen, but Denmark's probably not a fair comparison. I've been to all the Scandinavian countries and they are uniformly wealthy, clean & organised to an above-average degree.

I get what you mean in general though. The women certainly seem to take a bit more care about how they look, and usually nail a pretty smart, classic style that makes even an average girl look nice
ParasiteRex
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by xylas)
Well yeah, take away the capital of any of these countries and they are bound to be worse.
It's like a haircut. You shouldn't get rid of it all but even if we take a lot off it's going to be an improvement.
xylas
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ParasiteRex)
It's like a haircut. You shouldn't get rid of it all but even if we take a lot off it's going to be an improvement.
What actually are you saying? There's more than one way to interpret that analogy...
Dexa
Rep:
?
(Original post by xylas)
No this isn't true I'm afraid. How many nice/clean cities are there in the UK apart from London, Oxford, Cambridge? Even London is awful when you go outside zone 1 and to the north,east and south.
GenialGermanGent
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
British 'culture'? What are you talking about? There is no such thing.
GenialGermanGent
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Moosie123)
Yeah, and as we all know, 'comfortable' is the most important attribute of any clothing article :facepalm:

That is why the world laughs at your 'fashion sense'.
GenialGermanGent
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by xylas)
Have you been abroad?

In Germany, for example, the capital is ****, but virtually every city of half a million is more pleasant than ANY UK city.
xylas
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dexa)
No this isn't true I'm afraid. How many nice/clean cities are there in the UK apart from London, Oxford, Cambridge? Even London is awful when you go outside zone 1 and to the north,east and south.
Mate you're gonna have a hard time with that argument now that you've listed 3 nice cities in the UK. I challenge you to do that with Portugal...

And in answer to your question. Reading, Bristol and Bath are nice, so is most the South West of England: Dorset, Somerset, Cornwall elc. have you ever been?
grassntai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Evening)
If you don't like it then **** off. One less mouth to feed.
You're just validating the OP's message.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.51%
No (535)
72.49%

Watched Threads