The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Popa Dom
Ah well, at least I've seen them now so I can CV build before all the 2nd year internship applications..

I suppose if I went to do anything in science, I need an internship too :frown:

When do we have to start applying? September?

*bats eyelashes in Will's direction in the hope that he'll help*
Well it depends what kind of work you're planning on doing in science? I mean if you're looking at work for big companies etc then yeh probably... but the closest I've got to internship applications was one of my lecturers offering me a job
Reply 2162
Athena
I suppose if I went to do anything in science, I need an internship too :frown:

When do we have to start applying? September?

*bats eyelashes in Will's direction in the hope that he'll help*

Most internship applications don't open until October/November, and the deadlines are usually around Jan/Feb. No major rush yet. Not sure for direct sciency ones though, most internships seem to be in banks, accountants, consultancies, government and businesses. Basically anyone who recruits over 30 people a year or so, of which there aren't that many companies. There may be some sciency ones though.

Internships really aren't a chore though, and they're not essential. What they do give you an insight into something you may want to do to see if it's for you.
Reply 2163
the_alba
To whoever negged me, I am sincere. I sincerely thought Hoofbeat's reasoning was perfectly understandable.

Weren't me, guv: I responded with words :smile:

Popa Dom
God, is there anything else in the world that makes you feel like you've wasted your life more than competency questions? I was filling out the second round form for some big bank bursary for first years, and it was full of questions like that, which I'm sure were completely designed to make me realise what a futile life I've led so far. Ah well, at least I've seen them now so I can CV build before all the 2nd year internship applications..

Haha, yes I totally agree. Most of my answers for that uber-competency based interview came from ridiculously trivial examples. I came out thinking, "I'm 21 years old - why haven't I set up my own online enterprise?"
Reply 2164
Sadly I have friends to make me feel like that :frown: Well, not sadly, they're lovely lovely people. And it does act somewhat as a grounding force, whenever nice things happen... *wanders off thinking cuddly thoughts* :lovie:

:redface:
Reply 2165
Drogue
Sadly I have friends to make me feel like that :frown: Well, not sadly, they're lovely lovely people. And it does act somewhat as a grounding force, whenever I nice things happen... *wanders of thinking cuddly thoughts* :lovie:

:redface:

Eh? Are you OK?
he's in love, leave him be
Reply 2167
I like Will when he's loved up, it comes out in such funny ways :p:
Sadly I have friends to make me feel like that
And we all have you, will, so cheer up!

Argh, internships, jobs, please just leave me alone! I suppose i'll have to start thinking about these things after the summer. Still, i'm sure an internship would be more interesting summer work than whatever sector of the service industry wants to employ me (apart from McDs- not going back there).

Question- do internships actually pay? I've been looking at a few things casually, but none of them seem to talk about compensation, and it occurred to me that there'd be plenty of people willing to do them for free, just for the experience and potential job offer.
Reply 2169
thomasjtl
Question- do internships actually pay? I've been looking at a few things casually, but none of them seem to talk about compensation, and it occurred to me that there'd be plenty of people willing to do them for free, just for the experience and potential job offer.

Depends what internship you go for.

Investment banking, consultancy and finance all pay fairly well. You'll get at least £350/week, and this can go up to £1000+pw for investment banking. Not surprisingly, the investment banking internships are very very competitive.

Other internship schemes are run by law firms, engineering, oil and IT companies, and I believe there's a few in advertising and marketing. They pay OK as well - probably from £300/week.

In my experience, anything science-based doesn't pay fantastically.
Why did I take law? Looking at this, I should probably have chosen something that matches my future employment aspirations, and a BA for the dole queue seems like overkill.

Should've done English.
Reply 2171
Bekaboo
he's in love, leave him be

:redface: ;yes;

Athena
I like Will when he's loved up, it comes out in such funny ways :p:

Try being Helen :wink:

(when you get that joke, you realise how dirty your comment could be taken, were someone suitably minded :redface:)
Drogue
were someone suitably minded :redface:

*Is suitably minded*

WILL! :eek3:

Ah, the joys of an X5 romance...
Reply 2173
FadeToBlackout
*Is suitably minded*

WILL! :eek3:

Ah, the joys of an X5 romance...

It has to take a dirty joke to bring a tab to this thread :p: And no X5 romance here: I have finals, she has a car, and I graduate in a few weeks :smile: Besides, I'm sure there's something about being from somewhere so evil that makes it all slightly kinky, being so wrong :redface:
I just can't believe that she's gone over to the Dark Side...

Though you WILL (no pun intended!) be cheering for Cambridge in the Boat Race. :p:
Reply 2175
I won't be. I'll be standing behind Helen smiling at how passionate she gets, while inwardly quite liking the idea of an Oxford victory. I don't really care too much, but I'd like Oxford to win :smile:
FadeToBlackout
I just can't believe that she's gone over to the Dark Side...

Though you WILL (no pun intended!) be cheering for Cambridge in the Boat Race. :p:

See your PMs :p:

Boat race day is going to be fun...I'm just not quite sure whose party to go to afterwards.
I would suggest going to the winning one... and I noticed the other slant too... I was just too polite to mention it :p:
anyone up for tsr trip to london for the boatrace? Only, there isn't really anywhere appropriate i can watch it in cambridge, obviously...
Drogue
Most internship applications don't open until October/November, and the deadlines are usually around Jan/Feb. No major rush yet. Not sure for direct sciency ones though, most internships seem to be in banks, accountants, consultancies, government and businesses. Basically anyone who recruits over 30 people a year or so, of which there aren't that many companies. There may be some sciency ones though.

Internships really aren't a chore though, and they're not essential. What they do give you an insight into something you may want to do to see if it's for you.

ahhhhh! Don't mention the "i" word :ninja: :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending