Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Boat race day is going to be fun...I'm just not quite sure whose party to go to afterwards.
    Either yours, or perhaps whoever wins. Or loses. I'm not sure which would make it more likely to be the better party? Though perhaps yours, as I'd probably be more comfortable at a Cambridge party than you would at an Oxford party, whatever were to happen. I'm quite happy either being the one quietly smug person there or just going with the flow, whereas I'd imagine you might be a little more happy/upset about the result? :hugs:

(Original post by thomasjtl)
    anyone up for... trip to london for the boatrace? Only, there isn't really anywhere appropriate i can watch it in cambridge, obviously...
    I'm actually quite interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    To whoever negged me, I am sincere. I sincerely thought Hoofbeat's reasoning was perfectly understandable. Since I wasn't apologising for my opinion, but to anyone (Hoofbeat or Worzo) who thought I was personally attacking them, the fact that I haven't changed my opinion doesn't make my apology any less sincere. If you're going to neg people, at least say who you are so I know who I'm talking to.
    Just to say, it wasn't me that neg repped you and I accept your understanding of my reasons for chosing to apply to Unilever.

However, after this morning I *really* doubt I'm going to get in! After doing the case study preparation I talked about in my interview how we shouldn't do something and then in the group discussion everyone else thought we should and most of their points were a lot more valid than mine, so I doubt I'll get in, but I'm not too bothered as it was a great experience just getting through to this final round!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I just sent a *****y email to OUSU, and got a really nice reply, so now I feel bad

But it was a spammy email asking for people to work on their new literary magazine and they'd made a stupid typo and not picked up on it. They asked if I wanted to work for them. It was pathetic, in a nice sort of way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    The boatrace in London? pah.

It's all about the Henley ones this weekend.
    4/5 races & some genuine students in the crews. :eek:

http://www.henleyboatraces.com/
    So a postgrad degree in Water Management or whatever one of the Oxford boatrace crew is doing doesn't make them a real student? Shock horror...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    So a postgrad degree in Water Management or whatever one of the Oxford boatrace crew is doing doesn't make them a real student? Shock horror...
    Most of them are admittedly quite solid & probably not actually imaginary. But on the question of rowing whilst studying at Oxford or studying at Oxford to row...

But there's also a whopping dose of personal interest in my 'Henley is far more important' stance.

ReputationRep:
    Well, to be fair, if you go by time spent I'm doing BA (Hons) Coxing and Sound Engineering, after a Part I in Procrastination. :p:

So you'll be racing at Henley, then?

ReputationRep:
    Elles? Rowing? :rofl: No deary, Elles bigger-half will be. He's rather good, from what I've heard

ReputationRep:
    Ahh...

Makes sense. Like your rather-good other (better) half? :p:

Edit: And I'm procrastinating going to bed. Go me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Just to say, it wasn't me that neg repped you and I accept your understanding of my reasons for chosing to apply to Unilever.

However, after this morning I *really* doubt I'm going to get in! After doing the case study preparation I talked about in my interview how we shouldn't do something and then in the group discussion everyone else thought we should and most of their points were a lot more valid than mine, so I doubt I'll get in, but I'm not too bothered as it was a great experience just getting through to this final round!
    Don't write it off until you actually know. There's not much point in being completely negative about it. But you're right, they're good experiences. I may not have got any of the ones I applied for but it was still a good experience in travelling the country and jumping through hoops. Suddenly applying for a "normal" summer job seems like a breeze.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Don't write it off until you actually know. There's not much point in being completely negative about it. But you're right, they're good experiences. I may not have got any of the ones I applied for but it was still a good experience in travelling the country and jumping through hoops. Suddenly applying for a "normal" summer job seems like a breeze.
    REJECTED! Got my letter just a few minutes ago. They obviously really didn't like me to write a rejection letter on the same day as my interview, especially as they told us we wouldn't hear until after Easter. I'm not bothered though to be honest - it was a good experience, but I didn't come away from it any more sure that it was what I wanted to do, so I figure I might not have been completely happy doing it anyways. Oh well, now means I won't have to spend 10wks of my Summer away from home. Thinking maybe now I'll just try and get some experience working in Accountancy here at home just so I can try my hand at something, and maybe also a few other things too, just so I can do somethign this Summer and sample a few different things.

Anyways, back to revision...

ReputationRep:
    REJECTED! Got my letter just a few minutes ago. They obviously really didn't like me to write a rejection letter on the same day as my interview, especially as they told us we wouldn't hear until after Easter. I'm not bothered though to be honest - it was a good experience, but I didn't come away from it any more sure that it was what I wanted to do, so I figure I might not have been completely happy doing it anyways. Oh well, now means I won't have to spend 10wks of my Summer away from home. Thinking maybe now I'll just try and get some experience working in Accountancy here at home just so I can try my hand at something, and maybe also a few other things too, just so I can do somethign this Summer and sample a few different things.

ahhh dear :hugs: I wouldn't read too much into the instant rejection. Exxon did that to me as well. I think in general they will have pretty much decided who they want and who they don't want within hours of you leaving. It seems fairly standard to have a debrief straight afterwards and it is then that decisions are made. They are really just giving themselves a window with the Easter thing I should think. I'm in the same boat as you really. I've run out of internship options so it's down to what i can get at home to avoid 3 months of summer boredom and missed opportunity.

Don't mention the word revision :ninja: I've done hardly any since revision week

Argh. Bad luck, Chloé. It is only internship though - grad jobs are waaay less competitive. I'm sure you'll find something else to do over summer!

Also - you're revising?? I'm still learning stuff for the first time. Did you know that there's things smaller than protons called "quarks"? Amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    Argh. Bad luck, Chloé. It is only internship though - grad jobs are waaay less competitive. I'm sure you'll find something else to do over summer!
    Yeah, I just wish I knew what I wanted to do exactly...at the moment I still don't really know and I was hoping internships would give me a better idea!

Also - you're revising?? I'm still learning stuff for the first time. Did you know that there's things smaller than protons called "quarks"? Amazing.
    Revising, learning, same thing really! I always spend my vacations "revising" when I actually meaning learning things for the first time - especially Particle Physics, most of which went straight over my head last term! Martin & Shaw's been useful in filling the large gaps though!

ReputationRep:
    well, i'd love to go to henley, but i'm off to cornwall for a week. I'll be back in time for the boatrace, though, just about (come back late on the sixth).

On the other hand, if it's just peter interested...

ReputationRep:
    Well clearly I'll be there with Helen, and I imagine FTB will be there. So if you count tabs, they'll be quite a few of us there. Sam, Boo, Charlotte, Stu, Chloe? Any of you fancy coming along? Would be cool to have an informal joint-Oxbridge meet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Well clearly I'll be there with Helen, and I imagine FTB will be there. So if you count tabs, they'll be quite a few of us there. Sam, Boo, Charlotte, Stu, Chloe? Any of you fancy coming along? Would be cool to have an informal joint-Oxbridge meet
    I'm probably already going to a friend's pre-boat race bbq in London, but maybe we'll bump into each other at the Boat Race - I think we'll be watching from near Hammersmith Bridge by SPS' boathouse.

ReputationRep:
    It's easter saturday isn't it? Probably not as I'll be singing that night and can't guarantee getting home... although I'm meant to be in London on Good Friday so maybe

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as that's a direct question, even though I've been trying to avoid posting on this thread because of work-stuff, I'm planning on going to Chiswick on the 7th with some Tab friends. Meet people there?

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably already going to a friend's pre-boat race bbq in London, but maybe we'll bump into each other at the Boat Race - I think we'll be watching from near Hammersmith Bridge by SPS' boathouse.
    As are Helen and I (probably). I'm guessing it'll be a really informal "if we bump into people" meet-up.

I'll be watching from... erm... the riverbank I didn't even know whereabouts in London the thing was, let alone where I'll be!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.