Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i hate ergs.

ReputationRep:
    I much prefer actual rowing over ergs, but if I can't get that then ergs will do . A good erg really gets you going for the rest of the day (aside from the minute or so after where you feel like dying).

ReputationRep:
    Random question....does anyone know if the Royal Oak serves food on Sunday evening? Had ordered a tesco delivery with food for dinner tonight, but because Parks Rd's shut they couldn't deliver and now all my food isn't coming until tomorrow morning and so am thinking about where to eat tonight. I know the Royal Oak does awesome food and thought it would be an ideal time to try it...provided they still serve food on Sunday evenings!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    You know, I always thought the Oxford rah stereotype was just an outdated relic of the way some of the colleges used to be, but no: the group of Magdalen first years I just met are the most stuck up, pretentious, uninclusive, ******ish bunch of rahs I have ever had the displeasure of being in the company of for 2 hours. What a wasted evening.
    :hugs: That sucks, though I have to say, spending some time in Oxford with my friend, Mohican and all, was a fairly enlightening experience. You notice many different things and realise just what a little bubble we live in.

Chloé --> I can't see why they wouldn't. I was there last night as it happens, with aforementioned friend, and they were still serving food at gone 10pm on Saturday. I don't see why it should be markedly different on Sunday but I may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spunky)
    Yeah I know, I was kidding :p: ! So what splits did you get?

Hehe sorry if that came off a bit funny - go back a few pages and you'll find the point where Worzo tells me that a 1:45 split means I'm not actually sprinting... :rolleyes:

1:50 + 1:54 for the first one, which was the actual 1k test
    and essentially 2 x 2:00 for the second one... which i have no idea why i had to do it... I can see doing 3/4 x sprint and i can see doing sprint test but 2?? Oddness

I much prefer actual rowing over ergs, but if I can't get that then ergs will do . A good erg really gets you going for the rest of the day (aside from the minute or so after where you feel like dying).
    Oh much agreed - last year all through 8th week (exams in 9th) I was doing 2k every morning just to get the blood pumping! But I reeeally hate 1ks. Acutally I think Ijust hate doing sprint ergs of any kind where i have to tell people what i got. Especially because i always want to be proud of having got a good time til everyone else points out the rest of the crew is 5'4... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i nearly knocked myself today- fun fun fun. I caught a massive crab in IWL and banged my head on the saxboard (side of the boat) three-four strokes off the finish line, which sucked a bit. Sever pain and dizziness ensued.

I was a little concerned about the enthusiam of the two medics in the boat who both wanted to feel my head and ask me questions about tingling sensations in random parts of my body, but there again, i guess it's in their nature.

ReputationRep:
    oh yes, i forgot to mention- i'm actually fine, apart from a large bump and bruise.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    oh yes, i forgot to mention- i'm actually fine, apart from a large bump and bruise.
    Apart from being a crazy rower, of course :p:

ReputationRep:
    i nearly knocked myself today- fun fun fun. I caught a massive crab in IWL and banged my head on the saxboard (side of the boat) three-four strokes off the finish line, which sucked a bit. Sever pain and dizziness ensued.

I was a little concerned about the enthusiam of the two medics in the boat who both wanted to feel my head and ask me questions about tingling sensations in random parts of my body, but there again, i guess it's in their nature.

Apart from that how did your IWL go? We just managed to hold off St. Anne's M1 from overtaking so we're pretty happy. As for ergs, I think I must have done about 4 since coming to Oxford, this is why I love wadham rowing. However it does mean our crew looks significantly sub-hench compared to the rest of them out there, which is a shame, cos lets face it the ultimate dream is to erg topless to 80s power ballads like pembroke do, and we're not quite in the kind of shape that would let us do that

(Original post by Bekaboo)
    Hehe sorry if that came off a bit funny - go back a few pages and you'll find the point where Worzo tells me that a 1:45 split means I'm not actually sprinting... :rolleyes:
    Yeah, I didn't know you were a girl.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How am I going to talk about coitus interruptus, "premarital eroticism" and "delayed orgasm" in my tute on Wednesday and keep a straight face?!

ReputationRep:
    How am I going to talk about coitus interruptus, "premarital eroticism" and "delayed orgasm" in my tute on Wednesday and keep a straight face?!
    It'd help if you had a fit tutor .

Bekaboo - Those are pretty good times (especially for a girl), there's a few male rowers at my college that wouldn't be getting 1:45 splits, even in a 1k test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    Yeah, I didn't know you were a girl.
    I write in purple, my name is Boo, and it doesn't take too much imagination to figure out that my never-used-real-name is probably Rebecca... somebody's perceptive

Bekaboo - Those are pretty good times (especially for a girl), there's a few male rowers at my college that wouldn't be getting 1:45 splits, even in a 1k test.
    Ah see you'd think that until you realise i'm 5'10 - for a girl they're pretty good but actually for a girl of my height they're distinctly average... we haven't been doing land training of any kind this term so my fitness has plummeted, but I'd never done 1ks before this term so i have no idea what i was capable of when i was land training 5 times a week!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It'd help if you had a fit tutor .
    Actually, I think that'd make it worse

ReputationRep:

Actually, I think that'd make it worse
    Completely agreed - I have enough trouble concentrating normally with a fit tutor!

1:45 for 500. Thats impressive for a girl!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I can't maintain it for more than about 700m and then I die :p:

ReputationRep:

Ouch! I hope you're OK. One of my friends came over for dinner as we had a big house meal tonight, Ben, I'm guessing he's your coach cos he said the same thing happened to someone in his boat and would be an awfully big coincidence if the same thing happened to 2 different people in Lincoln crews on the same day!

ReputationRep:
    charlton? yes- he's coaching us. nice guy.

ReputationRep:
    Beats my story - prior to about a week ago I'd caught three crabs in my life: 1 as a novice and 2 the first time i subbed into W1 after 4 weeks of novice rowing and then a gap from May-November hehe! Then about a week ago we did laps and laps of the river in pyramid pieces and the first time we hit 32 I obviously pulled too hard and at an odd angle and then caught the worst crab of my life - barely missed it smashing me in the face and the only reason it DID was for some reason I didn't let go of the blade so it pulled my arm up with it which went crunch in a particularly lovely way. Actually thought I might faint And then of course the best bit was my outside arm was like jelly so I had to row double handed for the next lap of the river and guess what when you're rowing stupid-novice-stylee... next time we hit 32 i caught another crab *sighs*

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.