Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Actually, work isn't hard, there's just too much of it...

ReputationRep:
    Good point. My spectacular laziness probably doesn't help matters either...

I got bored. So I'm signing up OUSU for Freshers' Fair. Fun.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Who's paying the £20? I'd love to see all the stuff you put down on the Freshers' fair form (eg. the "registered with Proctors" box...) and what owzoo have to say about it :p:

Quoted my way to an extra 150 words of Cherwell article, with the aid of making up quotes, abusing Facebook and quoting people without telling them. I love hacking.

So, I know someone who's just finished their exams and has been fined for simply being covered in flour after her exam.

What do you make of that, now?! Eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    So, I know someone who's just finished their exams and has been fined for simply being covered in flour after her exam.

fined on what grounds? inappropriate dress?

ReputationRep:
    Dont you read proctors notices? Trashings involving solid substances (e.g., flower, confetti) is classed as a gross littering offence - the police have been instructed to hand out £80 fines for it.

(Original post by bikerx23)
    Dont you read proctors notices? Trashings involving solid substances (e.g., flower, confetti) is classed as a gross littering offence - the police have been instructed to hand out £80 fines for it.
    * holds head in hands *
    Yes, but this girl was not the one littering. She simply got in the way of someone else throwing the flour. (The fact it was her friend is entirely irrelevant).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    * holds head in hands *
    Yes, but this girl was not the one littering. She simply got in the way of someone else throwing the flour. (The fact it was her friend is entirely irrelevant).
    meh - those are the rules they stated IIRC - to dissuade people from doing it all are fineable in some way - stupid rules i know - collective culpability or some similar toss.

ReputationRep:
    appeal it- from what i hear, the police are so overworked at the moment that they're very unlikely to challenge an appeal for fixed penalty notices unless it's completely water tight.

ReputationRep:
    mind you, I can't say as I understand the tradition myself, and with things like octopuses and fish being thrown about it was getting a little out of hand. Surely though, by that definition of "solid substance" nothing is allowed? with the possible exception of water.

ReputationRep:
    someone neg repped me for telling some random to check the current student thread and not to spam up the boards by posting "is there anyone studying medicine here?" Apparently i was being too harsh on the newbie- what do you guys reckon- are people getting a bit too touchy round here???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    someone neg repped me for telling some random to check the current student thread and not to spam up the boards by posting "is there anyone studying medicine here?" Apparently i was being too harsh on the newbie- what do you guys reckon- are people getting a bit too touchy round here???
    depends how you phrased it, but rep on tsr is always somewhat subjective, to an extent you just have to take the hits with the positives.

Edit: yeah, it's fairly harsh - you said no more than a mod would say. But theres not a lot you can really do about it, except query them if you know who it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)

So we go through 3 or 4 years of hard work and then get fined for having a bit of fun, one of the reasons being 'it makes students look spoiled to be the public'. Wtf?? Let people trash each other I say.

(Original post by dancingqueen)
    So we go through 3 or 4 years of hard work and then get fined for having a bit of fun, one of the reasons being 'it makes students look spoiled to be the public'. Wtf?? Let people trash each other I say.
    I guess the problem is that it's thousands of people having a 'bit of fun' = a lot of fun = illegal, or some such crap.

I think's it's ridiculous that people go and trash each other basically every year: after prelims, after 2nd year exams, after 3rd year exams, after 4th year exams......

If it's actually the last exam for your degree, then I suppose that's OK, but what's the point otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    I guess the problem is that it's thousands of people having a 'bit of fun' = a lot of fun = illegal, or some such crap.

I think's it's ridiculous that people go and trash each other basically every year: after prelims, after 2nd year exams, after 3rd year exams, after 4th year exams......

If it's actually the last exam for your degree, then I suppose that's OK, but what's the point otherwise?
    Apart from anything else I shudder think of the cost in dry cleaning of sub-fusc :p:. I'm determined to keep mine clean! :p:

ReputationRep:
    i have el cheapo tesco trousers to wear for my last exam to avoid such things- shirt and gown can go in washing machine- mortar board i'm hoping will wipe clean.

ReputationRep:
    yeah- the rep system is pretty random at times, stu. Just annoying- kinda makes me wanna get a sub again.

(Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Apart from anything else I shudder think of the cost in dry cleaning of sub-fusc :p:. I'm determined to keep mine clean! :p:
    I have my 6th form machine-washable suit for exams - it's still got glitter on it from last year! I don't care what happens to it, or my pieceofcrap gown, for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    Do we need a mortarboard for exams?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.