Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Meh, so did I - managed about 300 words of my essay for midday today. And yet yesterday was one of my most successful days in Oxford ever. I'm just working hard now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Well, exactly. If my money is going to go to OUSU (something I'm becoming increasingly infuriated about), I want it to be something more than some poor Labour Club hack drafting pro-choice letters to the Cabinet for seven hours a day. I want OUSU to do something that I (1) see, and (2) don't get angry at. Is that too much to ask?

EDIT:
    "Oh, you're being misleading. OUSU do much more than that."
    --"Oh? What do they do then, invisible voice of reason?"
    "Well, they produce the Freshers' Guide, the Survival Guide-"
    --"You mean those booklets that cost more than a trip to the Sun, basically reducible to "don't get too drunk", "abortion is always there", "here's our number"?"
    "We also do the Oxford Student."
    --"Oh, fantastic. The Oxford Student, slogan "...because someone's nicked all the Cherwells"?"
    "And Oxide Radio..."
    --"Just kill yourself. Really. Go on, do it. Now. Actually, don't, because then they'll start a ****ing committee for the representation of dead people. With a "Guide For Dead People At Oxford". Costing £3000 to print. Just go."
    :rofl: Too true. Are you involved in OUSU? That referendum was such a big deal at our college - I voted against more because of the timing of the referendum than because I'm particularly against the abolition. And I don't there's any need for more bureaucracy. At my hustings I was asked about OUSU and couldn't help but make a slight face .
    I'm guessing this thing in the papers about the OU/OUSU thing is just hype? I'm pretty sure I've seen the idea floated about for ages...I can't see this ever happening.

Not involved in OUSU, although I came close this term. The people standing outside the colleges with "no" posters just annoyed me, though. Why no-one holding the "yes" posters? Because superficially, before you look into it, it seems like turkeys voting for Christmas, which is exactly why men got excluded from the vote.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused. Men were excluded from voting for the Women's Officer because she does nothing about their welfare... admittedly I expect there are monetary implications which may affect OUSU as a whole but other than that it doesn't have any repercussions for them at all.
    HOW is it like voting for Christmas exactly, and how on earth are you managing to imply that men are excluded from a vote on women's issues because what they're more sensible and would see through it? Jeez...

I'm not managing to imply; you're managing to infer. There's a whole chasm between them.

ReputationRep:
    I for one am frustrated that i have no say in my contibutions are bankrolling a prochoice campaigning organisation when i have strong views to the contrary. To say that men can't have an opinion on this matter is a dismissive cop out.

ReputationRep:
    Woah guys, chill this is the procrastination thread aimed for light-hearted chit-chat to distract us from the horrible thing that is revision (and "work" for any 2nd year art students :p: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Woah guys, chill this is the procrastination thread aimed for light-hearted chit-chat to distract us from the horrible thing that is revision (and "work" for any 2nd year art students :p: ).
    or those who've already finished finals ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Damn you for mentioning them :mad: ..I was trying to forget about them :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    The *******s.

That will be me in 6 days though

ReputationRep:
    Told my tutor yesterday that I'm going for the pass and not the first, didnt seem too impressed but at the same time didnt seem that bothered. I just cant understand the mentality that would make soeone sit inside all day revising during sunny trinity term for exams which mean absolutely nothing as long as you get over 30-40%.

ReputationRep:
    because if you do well, you can put your results on your internship applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    because if you do well, you can put your results on your internship applications?
    How many people in first year have already lost their soul to the slickers? Thats pretty depressing

(Original post by Popa Dom)
    How many people in first year have already lost their soul to the slickers? Thats pretty depressing
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    Okies, sub fusc question for girls....has anyone ever worn a "blouse/shirt" that doesn't actually have buttons on it, but that still looks like a shirt, eg:
    http://www.next.co.uk/zoom/zoom.asp?...b=&pp=&ps=&n=C

Cuz they're so much more comfortable than the ones with buttons, especially cuz the one I've got is short-sleeve and most buttoned shirts are 3/4 or long sleeved! But I don't want to risk wearing it if I'm going to get in trouble!

ReputationRep:
    *butts in*

Pete, can't you self define as a woman and vote, if you feel that strongly about it?

ReputationRep:
    no, because it's done online- there's no RO to appeal to over your psychological femininity. I'd be interested to see what they'd do with a transgender student, actually. Legally, they're still classed as their biological sex (as in a male to female trannie can't marry a man, but could marry a female to male transexual). But ousu lefties are big on such issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Okies, sub fusc question for girls....has anyone ever worn a "blouse/shirt" that doesn't actually have buttons on it, but that still looks like a shirt, eg:
    http://www.next.co.uk/zoom/zoom.asp?...b=&pp=&ps=&n=C

Cuz they're so much more comfortable than the ones with buttons, especially cuz the one I've got is short-sleeve and most buttoned shirts are 3/4 or long sleeved! But I don't want to risk wearing it if I'm going to get in trouble!
    I wouldn't have thought lack of buttons would be a problem, it's still shirt-like and white!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    no, because it's done online- there's no RO to appeal to over your psychological femininity. I'd be interested to see what they'd do with a transgender student, actually. Legally, they're still classed as their biological sex (as in a male to female trannie can't marry a man, but could marry a female to male transexual). But ousu lefties are big on such issues.
    I guess the online voting system spacks things up. Maybe anyone who self defines as a female has to register with OUSO or whoever? In tabsville, anyone who selfdefines as a woman can vote for the Women's Officer (IIRC) and anyone who self defines as an international student can vote in the ICUSU elections. I don't know how the introduction of evoting here will affect this though. We've only really had one round of evoting this year, and that was over a proposal to change the organizational structure.

(Original post by visesh)
    *butts in*

Pete, can't you self define as a woman and vote, if you feel that strongly about it?
    I tried to vote as a woman. It refused to let me, which I think underlines OUSU's lack of commitment to temporary-transgender inclusion.

Who knows, if I kick up a fuss, maybe they'll give me a sabbatical position.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.