The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2900
Elles
Or because you're so scared you're going to fail you think you need to revise like mad to pass?
If only I'd maintained that prelims fear... :rolleyes:

Or because the Scholar/Prize money/free dinners/gown would be nice?

No free dinners at Wadham, and the money is a one-off £100 - as I have discussed with friends at other colleges, it's not worth being a Scholar at Wadham, as we never have formal to wear gowns to, don't get free food, lose most of our money to the new gown - unlike, eg, exhibitioners at Jesus, who don't even have to get firsts, but still get however much off battels per term and free formal on Wednesdays.
that's rather generous.
At lincoln, you get either £50 (exhibition) or £100 (scholarship), and a free dinner once a year, or two if you're a crewe scholar. But we have formal every night, so you can show off your gown if you want to.
I would dearly love a scholar's gown :redface: Not getting my hopes up though.
Reply 2903
Agrippina
I would dearly love a scholar's gown :redface: Not getting my hopes up though.

:ditto:

I think everyone would like, ideally, to be a scholar.
Athena

No free dinners at Wadham, and the money is a one-off £100 - as I have discussed with friends at other colleges, it's not worth being a Scholar at Wadham, as we never have formal to wear gowns to, don't get free food, lose most of our money to the new gown - unlike, eg, exhibitioners at Jesus, who don't even have to get firsts, but still get however much off battels per term and free formal on Wednesdays.

I get the same as you, save for the 1 scholars dinner per year.

Edit: though in theory, had I got it in 1st year it would have been £100 per year assuming I was rescholared each year so £300 in total.

Elles --> £750!!! :eek: you have got to be kidding me *dies*
Reply 2905
Elles
Hmm, we're obviously luckier than I realised.

My (overcompensated due to sheer fear of failing) prelims result worked out at £750.50 (+50p if I'd remembered to go to a specific Chapel service in 3rd year) - cost of gown, but 4 amazing free dinners to wear it to.

WTF? What college are you at? Do you get your battels paid or something?

We get £200/year college scholariship, but I won't sniff at that, it's pretty sweet. Plus some old Physics dude gives us £30 if you get good exam results in whatever year, and the Physics society gives you (well, me) another £30 if you're a beast at practical work.
thomasjtl
that's rather generous.
At lincoln, you get either £50 (exhibition) or £100 (scholarship), and a free dinner once a year, or two if you're a crewe scholar. But we have formal every night, so you can show off your gown if you want to.

You get that as a one-off gift (to buy the gown) but you also get £100 a year off your battles for an exhibition and one formal dinner a year.
I feel a bit bad for the Lincoln physicists to be honest. None of us got 1sts in our prelims, but last year at least one (I think two actually) got firsts in their part A (our tutor's a bit useless and didn't officially tell them what they got but he did tell them they're rank and from that I'd guess they got a first) but they didn't get awarded an exhibition or anything :frown: Anyways, I'd love a fancy gown, but I'm never going to get one :frown:
Ick, the new Cherwell website is tacky! It looks like it's been made on Microsoft Frontpage or something! The photos have really poor resolution and the "Cherwell 24" logo is missing on some pages (there's just a white box with a red cross in it)....so unprofessional.
Hoofbeat
Ick, the new Cherwell website is tacky! It looks like it's been made on Microsoft Frontpage or something! The photos have really poor resolution and the "Cherwell 24" logo is missing on some pages (there's just a white box with a red cross in it)....so unprofessional.

Oh dear, I definitely agree with you there...
eurgh.
Athena

I'm fairly sure for our exhibitioners it's only £100 like you guys... and they don't get to wear the gown
Reply 2912
The new Cherwell online is crap! What was wrong with the old one?
Reply 2913
Revision is crushing me already, and I've only done two lectures worth so far :s-smilie:
YES I have just sent off my last essay of the year!! Essay number 22 (plus I've had 7 presentations on top of that)... crazy!
Reply 2915
Agrippina
YES I have just sent off my last essay of the year!! Essay number 22 (plus I've had 7 presentations on top of that)... crazy!

I did a YouGov survey that asked how many pieces of assessed work I'd done this year, and I worked out it was 48.

16 stats tute sheets
4 practicals
13 essays in Michaelmas
13 essys in Hilary
12 essays in Trinity
Athena

I did a YouGov survey that asked how many pieces of assessed work I'd done this year, and I worked out it was 48.

16 stats tute sheets
4 practicals
13 essays in Michaelmas
13 essys in Hilary
12 essays in Trinity

:eek: And I thought I was badly off!
I did that as well ... 102 pieces
e-unit
I did that as well ... 102 pieces

What subject do you do?!
Agrippina
What subject do you do?!

maths, we have 5 problems sheets a week for the first 20 weeks and 2 maple questions. Its not as much as it looks though, easily doable to an alright standard working 2 days a week

Also e, you forgot that bastard extra linear algebra one she threw in for no reason, so 103