The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3080
F1 fanatic
I don't think we're really talking academically here, more things you would do differently in life - socially and so on. Being more outgoing in freshers week perhaps and that sort of thing.

Ah, right. I still don't think I'd want to live through all of that again, though... It takes so long to settle in, figure out where everything is, discover who you want to be friends with once fresher's week is over, learn how to deal with that particular brand of stress etc. I didn't find Michaelmas of first year all that great, really, but maybe that's just me.:dontknow:
Reply 3081
ARGH too many "which college do I apply to?" threads. I'm going to make an uber thread soon, and merge any other threads staright into it, no mercy :evilb:
Athena
ARGH too many "which college do I apply to?" threads. I'm going to make an uber thread soon, and merge any other threads staright into it, no mercy :evilb:

Didn't we have one a while back? Or am I imagining that one?

Edit: Though, IMO there is a compromise to be made. I'm not always a fan of uber threads since things get lost in there and if you're not careful then they get ignored or you run out of threads for the rest of the forum.
Reply 3083
AHHHHHHHH I'm in London! I'm here for 9 weeks! WTF??!
:frown: I just went all the way to schools to take pictures of the boards and have come back to find all my pics are either blurred because i stood too close or the writing is too small because i was too far away - my camera just can't cope :frown:
Why am I ill now I'm at home - it sucks :frown:
Reply 3086
Hoofbeat
Why am I ill now I'm at home - it sucks :frown:

When it all catches up to you- not all that fun! Hope you feel better soon!

I just went all the way to schools to take pictures of the boards and have come back to find all my pics are either blurred because i stood too close or the writing is too small because i was too far away - my camera just can't cope

Appreciating the thought though. I've been getting phone calls this morning because the physicists have recently got their results, and they are what we generally expected- ie. not all that great. They all want someone to talk to about it, but hate their (distant, unfriendly and unhelpful) tutor so at a bit of a loss, so I've been telling them about the tutor for undergrads.

There are some completely unexpected things about life in Oxford that I just didn't expect- life has been so crazy for me over Trinity term (I've detailed elsewhere) that I've lost a fair bit of weight. If you've ever met me, you'll realise that I don't have a lot of weight to lose- which means I'm actually wasting away. One of things I like to do is go on a run, but I didn't manage it at all during the last 4 weeks of term, even though I'm signed up to run a half-marathon in September. Got home, tried to run- and can't. Physically can't run. My leg muscles are wasting away, and whilst I walk everywhere in Oxford so that's fine, they're not strong enough to run properly, and not for too long either. :frown:
Just got back from Glasto. All my belongings are covered in mud, but I don't care. Heh.
Reply 3088
sjuthani
When it all catches up to you- not all that fun! Hope you feel better soon!

Appreciating the thought though. I've been getting phone calls this morning because the physicists have recently got their results, and they are what we generally expected- ie. not all that great. They all want someone to talk to about it, but hate their (distant, unfriendly and unhelpful) tutor so at a bit of a loss, so I've been telling them about the tutor for undergrads.

There are some completely unexpected things about life in Oxford that I just didn't expect- life has been so crazy for me over Trinity term (I've detailed elsewhere) that I've lost a fair bit of weight. If you've ever met me, you'll realise that I don't have a lot of weight to lose- which means I'm actually wasting away. One of things I like to do is go on a run, but I didn't manage it at all during the last 4 weeks of term, even though I'm signed up to run a half-marathon in September. Got home, tried to run- and can't. Physically can't run. My leg muscles are wasting away, and whilst I walk everywhere in Oxford so that's fine, they're not strong enough to run properly, and not for too long either. :frown:

:hugs: Eat something, then go swimming to build yourself up, and then do gentle running. And eat lots and lots and lots while you do it!
eating while swimming could be challenging though.

The strength'll come back Sam, it's been a stressful term. I hate Trinity, I've yet to have an enjoyable one. Just take it easy and gradually build up the muscle/fat again.

Who's the physics tutor at teddy hall?
Reply 3090
F1 fanatic
Who's the physics tutor at teddy hall?

There are two - Dr Tseng and Prof Podsiadlowski.
bobin
There are two - Dr Tseng and Prof Podsiadlowski.

No experience of Tseng, though his name rings a bell from labs. Podsiadlowski lectured us for stellar structure, he seemed ok to be fair to him, if a little sleep inducing.
*yawn* why am I always most lethargic about going to bed when I need the sleep most?
F1 fanatic
No experience of Tseng, though his name rings a bell from labs.

Isn't he that chinese guy with big glasses?

Podsiadlowski lectured us for stellar structure, he seemed ok to be fair to him, if a little sleep inducing.

He was pretty bad at lecturing if you ask me! His notes were like an entire book and were far too detailed. His lectures were disorganised too - he jumped around so much!
Muso results were out - I just swam through the rainstorm and got there just as they went up :smile:
Bekaboo
Muso results were out - I just swam through the rainstorm and got there just as they went up :smile:

You didn't by any chance see whether any lincolnites were on the list did you? I don't care what grade they got, just whether they passed or not!!
I only checked for R I'm afraid - just texted you to say that she passed, with honours (albeit the third kind but I think that's still pretty cool)
Hoofbeat
Isn't he that chinese guy with big glasses?

He was pretty bad at lecturing if you ask me! His notes were like an entire book and were far too detailed. His lectures were disorganised too - he jumped around so much!

Well, yes, I did say he was sleep inducing, but he wasn't as bad as some *cough* Hodby, Reichold *cough*
F1 fanatic
Well, yes, I did say he was sleep inducing, but he wasn't as bad as some *cough* Hodby, Reichold *cough*

Yeah I'm dreading Hodby's lectures next year for superconductivity in the CMP option next year! And don't get me started on Reichold......:mad:
Hoofbeat
Yeah I'm dreading Hodby's lectures next year for superconductivity in the CMP option next year! And don't get me started on Reichold......:mad:

I thought Hodby was retiring at the end of this year?

Latest

Trending

Trending