The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

F1 fanatic
I thought Hodby was retiring at the end of this year?

Ooooo I hope so! I know he lectured superconductivity this year!
Yup i definitely heard he was retireing! :smile:
Typical just after we had him :rolleyes:

(PS - ello everyone! i havnt been around for quite a while :smile: )
Ventricles
Yup i definitely heard he was retireing! :smile:
Typical just after we had him :rolleyes:

(PS - ello everyone! i havnt been around for quite a while :smile: )

I hear that Huffman may be replacing him for EM. They've got a new guy in for first year maths too, replacing Yeomans.

And yes, hello Lucy :smile:
F1 fanatic
I hear that Huffman may be replacing him for EM. They've got a new guy in for first year maths too, replacing Yeomans.

And yes, hello Lucy :smile:

Noooooo! But shes like the best one! :frown:
Ventricles
Noooooo! But shes like the best one! :frown:

yeah, I think they're bringing in a guy from Cambridge (and making the Bence, Phillips and Hobson book as the recommended text over Boas also)
Reply 3105
F1 fanatic
yeah, I think they're bringing in a guy from Cambridge (and making the Bence, Phillips and Hobson book as the recommended text over Boas also)

Ahem. "Riley, Hobson and Bence".

And I think Blundell is lecturing superconductivity now? Or maybe he stuck with magnetism, I don't know.

How are people's summers going? I have been interning for 4 days now, and know more than I would like to know about MS Excel and Powerpoint :s-smilie:
Worzo
Ahem. "Riley, Hobson and Bence".

And I think Blundell is lecturing superconductivity now? Or maybe he stuck with magnetism, I don't know.

How are people's summers going? I have been interning for 4 days now, and know more than I would like to know about MS Excel and Powerpoint :s-smilie:

Same difference, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. :p: never really used it except for the occasional reference for Essler's course.

I'm the same as you, 4 days - though possibly with less to show for it. I have a pretty spreadsheet with lots of bright colours telling me what I'm going to be doing for the next 10 weeks and that's about it. It's going to be tough, I need to sift through copious amounts of data stored all over the shop without a clue of what Im looking at half the time. Still, it's not been too bad thus far.
Argh my entire degree ends tomorrow...excited!!:biggrin:
Reply 3108
I've done about 25 tours of Wadham in the last couple of days, as well as explaining to people about medicine, biology and arch & anth at Oxford about 4 times as often as I've talked about Human Sciences, held a sign outside Trinity pointing to Wadham and gained the key to the MCR and an invite to use it whenever I want, and to crash MCR bops. And I start work tomorrow...
dancingqueen
Argh my entire degree ends tomorrow...excited!!:biggrin:

Mine did that about a week ago - scary!
Reply 3110
I passed Prelims :party:
Athena

Well done :biggrin: :cheers: :hugs:

though was there ever any doubt that you would? ^o)
Reply 3112
Athena

Well done (again!).

I got a 2:1 (happy, happy, happy!) and am now officially a graduand(?!)

:biggrin:
Surely a graduate...
Reply 3114
Bekaboo
Surely a graduate...

Apparantly, one is not a graduate until the degree is taken (either at a ceremony or in absentia). So, when one is in between passing finals and taking the degree, one is a "graduand"!

(edit: although "graduand" could be a Cambridge word. I've also heard "supplicant" used, but I think graduand sounds better!)
graduand sounds like it's come straight off the pages of private eye to me...
Reply 3116
Well, an initiand is someone in the process of initiation, before they become an initiate.
Reply 3117
I think we need some classicists to come in and settle this. Seems to be all they're useful for, anyway :p:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduand

As we supplicants should know by now, wikipedia is the answer.
Oi. We do have some other uses. Um. In some ways.

Yeah, graduand and initiand make sense according to the rules of Latin grammar. No idea whether they're used or not, though.
EDIT: Ah. Well, I did say I wasn't sure whether it was used or not. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending