Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Just a week at an accounting firm in my hometown, nothing at all exciting!
    Are you moving to the dark side?? Mwah ha ha ha...:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingqueen)
    Are you moving to the dark side?? Mwah ha ha ha...:p:
    Sssssshhhhh!!!! You already knew I'd been considering it (I remember me chatting to you about your accounting internship while I was slightly inebriated at a bop last year!).

I thought I may as well do a week's work experience and see if I enjoy it before I apply for jobs (I don't know what else to do with my life and at least accountancy pays well!)

ReputationRep:
    Sssssshhhhh!!!! You already knew I'd been considering it (I remember me chatting to you about your accounting internship while I was slightly inebriated at a bop last year!).

I thought I may as well do a week's work experience and see if I enjoy it before I apply for jobs (I don't know what else to do with my life and at least accountancy pays well!)
    Are you thinking abiut applying to one of the big 4?

ReputationRep:
    *waves*

Hello all, been crazy busy recently so not had too much time to post on TSR, came back from Canada last weekend (cousin's wedding- I sang at the reception in front of 400 people, it was *awesome*).

Chloe, beware of the accountants... I've been helping my dad out at his office this week (self-employed, so he's the only one there), and it is *mind-numbingly* boring repetitive work, mainly because that's all you can do when you don't actually know anything about accounts! Get familiar with the number keypad on the keyboard! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    what's wrong with accounting? :p: It's all good experience
    But it's accounting. It's evil. And mindnumbingly boring. And this from someone who's actually quite interested in finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    But it's accounting. It's evil. And mindnumbingly boring. And this from someone who's actually quite interested in finance.
    well ok... it's not something I'd enjoy much either. It's funny, I've been sat with the accountants and commercial lot this week, and I can't help but feel sorry for them that they have to deal with boring finances while everyone around them gets to do moderately interesting stuff :p:

ReputationRep:
    Cor - I don't know yet if I'l apply to the Big4 or if I'll apply to smaller firms or whether I'll apply at all!

Everyone Else - yes some people find it boring, but I've always enjoyed working with numbers and the thing about accountancy is that it's another qualification to gain which is really beneficial for females. I will want to raise a family when I'm older and I will have to take maternit leave and it's quite difficult to move back into many businesses at the same level as before, but at least with an accountancy qualification, I can't go backwards. I'll se how I find the work experience (which shouldn't just be inputting numbers as I'm actually going to be doing more shadowing than work I think, just to get a feel for what they actually do, not what I could do for their firm having no qualifications :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Don't say that, I'm about to start at least 3 years of it!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    YES, got £159.21 back from college to settle my battels

I love it when college gives ME money.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you. I got a P45 from my college this morning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    YES, got £159.21 back from college to settle my battels

I love it when college gives ME money.
    pff, I got a 20 quid bill for paper which realise is now overdue..

ReputationRep:
    Cor - I don't know yet if I'l apply to the Big4 or if I'll apply to smaller firms or whether I'll apply at all!

Everyone Else - yes some people find it boring, but I've always enjoyed working with numbers and the thing about accountancy is that it's another qualification to gain which is really beneficial for females. I will want to raise a family when I'm older and I will have to take maternit leave and it's quite difficult to move back into many businesses at the same level as before, but at least with an accountancy qualification, I can't go backwards. I'll se how I find the work experience (which shouldn't just be inputting numbers as I'm actually going to be doing more shadowing than work I think, just to get a feel for what they actually do, not what I could do for their firm having no qualifications :p: )
    If your going to do accountancy, you really ought to be considering the Big 4 only given your qualifications and such.

I'm happy to provide an insight as to what its like to work for them during your first three years gaining ACA qualification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cor)
    If your going to do accountancy, you really ought to be considering the Big 4 only given your qualifications and such.

I'm happy to provide an insight as to what its like to work for them during your first three years gaining ACA qualification.
    Thanks very much for the offer, I already have a friend who's just finished her first year at E&Y who has offered similar advice! I probably will apply to the Big4 if I decide to do accountancy but at the same time, I'm not sure if I wouldn't prefer one of the more medium sized firms.

ReputationRep:

Certainly, it's a good qualification and you can earn a mint from doing it. Believe it or not I wanted to be an accountant when I grew up when I was small (among other things).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cor)

Where are you working? Am starting at PwC soon, and a bit nervous!

ReputationRep:
    Cor's a first year, but he's a KPMG scholar and spent his gap year there

ReputationRep:
    Cor's a first year, but he's a KPMG scholar and spent his gap year there
    Ah I see. I did an internship at PwC last summer so have a bit of a clue...to be honest it wasn't that interesting but I really want to do ACA, and I did a bit of audit, which was wayyyyy more boring than tax.

So, what's everyone's favourite kind of firework?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    So, what's everyone's favourite kind of firework?
    Roman Candle. Nothing else comes close.

ReputationRep:
    I think I just like the big bangers... I used to love golden showers... mainly I like the bonfire

In other use I actually just used the phrase "mass debate" in polite conversation without realising how it would sound

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.