Turn on thread page Beta

Hello Sam!

Take me to Edinburgh!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm going to be in Oxford on Friday and Saturday, yay!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    On a related note, can anyone think of anywhere to park (preferably for free!) in Cowley? Boo has given me one place, but I was wondering if there are any side streets or similar near to Tesco/the health centre where a you can park without a permit?

ReputationRep:
    St Mary's Road is near Tesco's and is really long and usually has lots of parking on it. It is parallel to Cowley Rd and lies between it and the Iffley Rd. Various little roads off it (including Hertford St, but that's further along) allow parking too.

But it's not that safe - Simon had a phone call from the police when he parked his car there as they found his passenger door wide open! Luckily nothing had been stolen and no damage had been done, but it's a bit weird!

ReputationRep:
    Be warned- half of St. Clements is closed, so you can't go from there to the city centre- traffic redirected through Cowley road so its all crazy! Road works galore. I parked on Leon Close, just beyond Bullingdon Road, its a dead-end so no access to Iffley directly from there, and there's a time limit of 2 hours, but it is free and permit-less. It was the first place I could find, so I just jumped for it!

ReputationRep:
    I HAVE AN APARTMENT!! Yayness!!! And it's lovely, and it's by the river, and it's much cheaper than I thought I'd have to pay. And I move in on the 24th, so big housewarming party scheduled for 1st-ish, before the real world of work starts.

YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    I HAVE AN APARTMENT!! Yayness!!! And it's lovely, and it's by the river, and it's much cheaper than I thought I'd have to pay. And I move in on the 24th, so big housewarming party scheduled for 1st-ish, before the real world of work starts.

YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!
    Congrats Will

Just been spending the weekend doing my place up - bedroom is as good as finished and hopefully moving onto other rooms later this week

ReputationRep:

YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!
    Make it the 31st, and I'm there! (No guarantees for 1st because of cousin's leaving party as she flies off abroad for a year)

And I'm claiming special crashing privileges for... well, whenever really. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    St Mary's Road is near Tesco's and is really long and usually has lots of parking on it. It is parallel to Cowley Rd and lies between it and the Iffley Rd. Various little roads off it (including Hertford St, but that's further along) allow parking too.

But it's not that safe - Simon had a phone call from the police when he parked his car there as they found his passenger door wide open! Luckily nothing had been stolen and no damage had been done, but it's a bit weird!
    That's what I was going to say - it's the road I lived on last year. And I never saw/heard of any cars being broken into, so I don't think it's THAT bad. Certainly not the worst part of Cowley.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My housemates are trying to get me to have a room I don't want so they can all have their first choice room... argh, what am I going to do? I don't want to back down about this!

If I didn't have work, I could have been there today and stopped this, ****!

ReputationRep:
    *cuddles* I know what you mean. I konw I've been really lucky with house-stuff, but there are still arguments and disagreements. Hope everything goes OK.

Our method was to differentiate the rent we paid for the rooms depending on how big they were (biggest 2 were £15 more, smallest one was £30 less, and the rest were quoted rent) and then list the rooms in order of preference. 4 of us got our first preference, the other person got her second preference, which is cheaper so she was OK with it. I know that's really lucky in the way its worked out, but thinking about second preferences so that people can compromise in a way that they're happy with might be an idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjuthani)
    *cuddles* I know what you mean. I konw I've been really lucky with house-stuff, but there are still arguments and disagreements. Hope everything goes OK.

Our method was to differentiate the rent we paid for the rooms depending on how big they were (biggest 2 were £15 more, smallest one was £30 less, and the rest were quoted rent) and then list the rooms in order of preference. 4 of us got our first preference, the other person got her second preference, which is cheaper so she was OK with it. I know that's really lucky in the way its worked out, but thinking about second preferences so that people can compromise in a way that they're happy with might be an idea.
    That's a very good system, yea - makes it fair for everyone rather than someone being grumpy about getting less room for the same amount...happens so often!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    My housemates are trying to get me to have a room I don't want so they can all have their first choice room... argh, what am I going to do? I don't want to back down about this!
    Just ask to pay less rent if you don't get the one you want.

(Original post by sjuthani)
    Clearly, as an economist, you realise that can't quite be a perfect system. If you had a perfect set of prices, everyone would get their first choice. If they don't, change the differentials slightly and everyone eventually will do. That's why I love living with economists. Because while I want the *huge* master bedroom (bigger than my old uni room, with ensuite and french doors into the garden), I think one of my housemates wants it more. Hence it is possible to have a differential large enough that she'd still prefer to pay the extra and take it, and I would rather take the money and the smaller room. Everyone's happy.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly, as an economist, you realise that can't quite be a perfect system.
    Not quite... but I think they'd get quite upset if I told them that only doing it my way would make them happy. And this way, I've got the best bedroom for probably less than I'd have to pay with your system.

ReputationRep:
    rent reduction or straws is the way forward. Or... do it the Pete way and bet it all on a game of rock-paper-scissors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    rent reduction or straws is the way forward. Or... do it the Pete way and bet it all on a game of rock-paper-scissors.
    OUSU is a way of life. Not just for, um, Christmas? Yes. That.

ReputationRep:
    Can't decide whether to go shopping with Mum (and her credit card) tomorrow, or meet up with a friend and go for lunch. I've seen this friend already this week and will see her next weekend too, and have no money. But calling her off for my Mum feels weird. Hmm.

Today's the first day I haven't really procrastinated that much. Woke up early, worked all morning, went for a cycle, came back and worked, went for a drive (and didn't even nearly crash once), and I'm planning on working tonight if I can. Not the most fun way I've ever spent a day off, but productive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Can't decide whether to go shopping with Mum (and her credit card) tomorrow, or meet up with a friend and go for lunch. I've seen this friend already this week and will see her next weekend too, and have no money. But calling her off for my Mum feels weird. Hmm.

Today's the first day I haven't really procrastinated that much. Woke up early, worked all morning, went for a cycle, came back and worked, went for a drive (and didn't even nearly crash once), and I'm planning on working tonight if I can. Not the most fun way I've ever spent a day off, but productive.
    re-arrange, it's not that unusual surely?

also, you forgot the asterisk.

(Original post by F1 fanatic)
    also, you forgot the asterisk.
    Massively debatable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Massively debatable.
    as to whether the asterisk exists in OU*SU or whether she was in fact referring to OUSU?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.