The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is it the Cherwell/OxStu which comes out on Thursday or do they both come out tomorrow?
Reply 3561
They both come out on Fridays, I think.
Im pretty sure the OxStu is Thursdays, not so sure about the Cherwell.
Okies cool. Because my play has been reviewed by both and I wasn't sure which review would be coming out today! If anyone gets a copy of whichever paper is out today, please let me know if the play "King John" is reviewed in there!
Reply 3564
The OxStu comes out late on Thursdays, IIRC, and Cherwell should be arriving in your JCR or lodge at some point before midday today. I have a copy of the OxStu right now, and of King John it says: "Chloe [your surname] is very good, and the only actor who fully realises that Shakespearean monologues actually work quite well played to the audience." I'm afraid the play overall only gets two stars, because according to the OxStu you're one of only a few good actors, but well done you.

(If you want me to edit the quote out of the post for any reason, let me know, just thought I'd save you the suspense of running to the JCR to look at the paper.)
Quistis
The OxStu comes out late on Thursdays, IIRC, and Cherwell should be arriving in your JCR or lodge at some point before midday today. I have a copy of the OxStu right now, and of King John it says: "Chloe [your surname] is very good, and the only actor who fully realises that Shakespearean monologues actually work quite well played to the audience." I'm afraid the play overall only gets two stars, because according to the OxStu you're one of only a few good actors, but well done you.

(If you want me to edit the quote out of the post for any reason, let me know, just thought I'd save you the suspense of running to the JCR to look at the paper.)

Thanks Quistis - I actually managed to get a copy of it late last night and read it. The overall review's disappointing (and rather inaccurate and unfair in places), but I was pleased with my review - it's my first one ever and seems a pretty good start. Apparantely the Cherwell review is more complementary of the play overall - am going to get a copy of it this afternoon.

You still should all come and see it - the fighting which they criticised is much better than in the press preview. In the preview show we told them we were only fighting with sticks because the swords hadn't arrived from the company we were hiring them from and we now have them and the fighting's very cool. Also to defend Arden who gets slated as being annoying...well that's how Shakespeare made the character! The "Bastard" who he plays is supposed to be arrogant, smug, annoying and cocky so if that's how Arden came across to the reviews then he did a very good job of the role! And they shouldn't diss our knitted chainmail - it's ****ing awesome - and looks prety realistic! Did they honestly expect us to hire chainmail for the entire cast?!
Reply 3566
Why do you not like them, elles? You-know-who had his first OSCE yesterday and he really enjoyed it :p: I think they sound almost like good fun, all that rushing about treating people like you're in a badly-acted hospital drama - although maybe I'm suffering from third-year-medic-desperate-to-start-clinicals syndrome? (I'm filling out one of my clinical transfer applications as we speak... :redface:)

Ooh, and Chloe, I am sorry that the silly OxStu didn't give your play proper credit. But Cherwell gave it three stars, at least :smile: This, I like to think, is proof that Cherwell > OxStu... :p:
Reply 3567
Hmm, the principle is fine & they can be fun.
I am grumpy because I've just done one, I know the stuff for this specialty and modestly think I'm quite good at it. :wink: .
But the logistics can be 'difficult'* & some Consultants don't play always fair*.

*A 5 minute station, you get in late because of the person before but are expected to leave on time. 2 of the minutes spent watching the 4 videos - leaving a copious ~2 minutes to decide which are seriously ill - write down your justification and immediate medical management.
Or 9 minutes to do a history, written up as in notes - that involves lots of Obs/Gynae, Neuro/Behav development Qs & having remembered the norms for each specific age.
*Communication skills stations = supposed to test communication. Explictly not supposed to be testing knowledge beyond very basic level...

In comparison the Dr-Pt II 4th year one is lovely, just one station & just examination - it's the history/comm skill or procedural stations that have more scope for disaster! But, i don't have to go back at 5, so either passed them all - or failed over half. *crosses things*

What are you thinking for clinicals?
Reply 3568
Um. I could write a novel on the topic "what am I thinking for clinicals". Really want to stay here, but am aware that with one fail I might not get back in. Am very keen not to go to London. Edinburgh also takes Oxford students, so I'm applying there - they make offers in December and if they make me an offer their rules say I either have to accept it and then not apply to Ox/Cam/Lon, or, well, reject it. If I get an offer from Edinburgh I'll accept it, since much as I want to stay in Oxford it'd be too much of a gamble and I'd hate to live in London. If they reject me, will go into the Common Application Procedure like everyone else, with Oxford ranked first, and one of the nicer London schools (am going to UCL for an open day next week...) as second. I did have extenuating circumstances surrounding my fail, and the Hilda's medics in the years above have assured me that Oxford take about half of people with one fail who reapply, but... *sigh* I really want to stay here; Oxford feels like my home now. But I'm a fairly adaptable person, so I'm sure Edinburgh or London would quickly become home too.
Much as I see the sense in centralised organising of tutes and registration for modules I have to say I much preferred the old deal of you will have tutes with these people in these weeks; organise them. At least then the worst I got was a double essay week in exchange for a free day or two or sometimes a double tute week for extra things. Now I have 4 essays to write, a presentation, my extended essays and my project which i have to do a fake viva for next thursday. Why do all my modules have to be this term and why does EVERYONE want to do tutes 4th and 5th week?!
Reply 3570
Sarah's got all her tutes in 4th - 8th week, so she's doing her essays now for tutes that are still a fortnight away :s-smilie: It seems crazy!
Well the thing is that (sensibly) nobody wants to give their tutorials until after the lectures. Which means nobody will give tutes until a couple of weeks in. We were meant to have PB3.2As with Nick Kruger but he's on sabbatical and somehow nobody realised so nobody organised a replacement so those have been postponed so THEY'RE gonna be 4-8 as well. On the one hand I was lucky to get one in this week, but on the other that means that because JAC wants to do them in consecutive weeks i'm going to hand in an essay at 9am next Tuesday in a lecture that says everything my essays says. I.e. i'll spend several hours reading papers that could be condensed into 1 lecture i'll have to sit through anyway - sooo annoying!
He might post his lecture notes beforehand- worth checking, at any rate.
I like having my tutes organised by the department now! I use to have 4/5 tutes a week when my college organised them...now I have one class a week and it's bliss!
Reply 3574
My article is quoted in Cherwell's "The week in quotes"! And I got references to slash fiction and the history of medicine into the paper this week! *happy*
I've just got a pm from someone asking me about oxford's gay scene. That's fine, i'm just wondering why he's asking me...
Isn't it obvious?
Reply 3577
thomasjtl
I've just got a pm from someone asking me about oxford's gay scene. That's fine, i'm just wondering why he's asking me...

Could it have something to do with the "feel free to PM me" in your sig?:wink:
well, true, i'm quite happy to answer people's questions but equally i wouldn't expect most people to know about the gay scene of a city.
Reply 3579
Must... do... work... But the lure of facebook is just too strong!

Latest

Trending

Trending