Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see - in our boat house it says absolutely no crews before 1pm, but presumably they just think Jesubites are too lazy to get up for a 6am outing on a Sunday hehe!

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking that sounds a bit odd given Keble always seem to be having sessions between 7 and 1pm on a Sunday, but I guess that's because they train at Godstow and the rules don't apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    I was just thinking that sounds a bit odd given Keble always seem to be having sessions between 7 and 1pm on a Sunday, but I guess that's because they train at Godstow and the rules don't apply.
    Yeah, the restrictions at Godstow aren't all year round. They're only not allowed on the Godstow stretch on Sundays between 2.00pm and 6.00pm, between March and November inclusive (out of courtesy to the Medley Yacht Club).

Stu, do you know how to do the first part of Q1 on CMP problem set 2?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I got fifth week blues last night, so me and my best friend went round to another mate's flat to work. I didn't get that much done, but itr was more productive than being at home, and less depressing than reading about falling fertility at my desk on a Saturday night :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh yeah, I also met Hurst St's resident urban fox this morning - about 8.45, my friend and I were cycling to Iffley, and stopped a couple of metres away to watch it eat the remains of a kebab. It knew we were there, but totally wasn't phased. Quite cool really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Yeah, the restrictions at Godstow aren't all year round. They're only not allowed on the Godstow stretch on Sundays between 2.00pm and 6.00pm, between March and November inclusive (out of courtesy to the Medley Yacht Club).

Stu, do you know how to do the first part of Q1 on CMP problem set 2?
    Well Im not entirely convinced it's right but I just measured it with a ruler, since the diagram is to scale and gave it in terms of fractional co-ordinates. There's quite a lot on the problem sheet Im less than convinced by tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Well Im not entirely convinced it's right but I just measured it with a ruler, since the diagram is to scale and gave it in terms of fractional co-ordinates. There's quite a lot on the problem sheet Im less than convinced by tbh.
    Well I have the actual answers if you're interested (I found the question and answers in a book). I tried just measuring it and using fractional co-ordinates, but unless I'm measuring the wrong thing, I couldn't get the correct answer.

And in exciting news, I'm now assisting with the Lighting at "Angels in America" tonight at the Union. So I apologise to anyone who's going to see it, if I **** them up. Luckily I'm only assisting (thank god as I only did lights for the first time last Tues, although by Thursday I was doing them all on my own while the usual LX operator was having an essay crisis!), but it could all go horribly wrong and I'm worrying about upsetting the thesps (most of the cast/crew seem like very well-knon thesps in Oxford).

ReputationRep:
    yeah, we were off by 8am, and back in bed by 8:30. Doug's a tosser.

ReputationRep:
    *Bangs head against desk* This essay is so not getting written and I have a ridiculous number of things to do this week - 3 labs, 2 x 3 hour rehearsals, the CU half night of prayer (That's right kids, 6 hours...) and a concert on Friday night. Somehow I'm meant to fit into that practice for the concert, work on my extended essays and project and some truly ridiculous land training sessions. I wouldn't mind if we could do them together in the mornings but oh no freshers get morning priorities so we have to do them in our own time. WHAT OWN TIME?!?! The stupid thing is i'm only rowing this term so they can get a crew out - what do I care what my 2k time is when i'm never going to race again?!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind if we could do them together in the mornings but oh no freshers get morning priorities so we have to do them in our own time.
    That makes sense with river time, but land training? Really?
    what do I care what my 2k time is when i'm never going to race again?!
    So make it up. You've been doing it long enough to know what realistic times look like.
    the CU half night of prayer (That's right kids, 6 hours...)
    ahh, that sounds like fun- no one will mind if you leave early or arrive late, though! Whenever i've done them they've not been more like 4hrs, finishing about 1.

ReputationRep:
    6 hours of prayer?!?!!!?!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I seem to be rowing in the Christ Church Regatta. I have never rowed (erged at the gym yes, but not rowed) before in my life.

How did this happen?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Athena)
    I seem to be rowing in the Christ Church Regatta. I have never rowed (erged at the gym yes, but not rowed) before in my life.

How did this happen?!
    That's the whole point of Christ Church Regatta: put lots of people who don't really have a clue of what they're supposed to be doing into boats and let them race each other. Consequently lots of strange things happen* and it's tremendous fun.

*To give you an example: our stroke caught a crab shortly before the finishing line, and when she tried to retrieve it, she somehow managed to knock herself over the head with the blade and nearly passed out (she had to be checked for concussion afterwards, but luckily everything was OK). Needless to say that we lost...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    That makes sense with river time, but land training? Really?
    Well it's kinda more that the captains are out coaching in the mornings and a lot of people are apathetic and nobody wanted to speak up even though eyebrows were obviously raising...

So make it up. You've been doing it long enough to know what realistic times look like.
    Yeh yeh I know but I have this thing about doing training. It's why it really pisses me off when other people don't do it. I can't imagine just letting people down. Although I guess I'm not really letting anyone down now *sighs*

ahh, that sounds like fun- no one will mind if you leave early or arrive late, though! Whenever i've done them they've not been more like 4hrs, finishing about 1.

Mmm we're going 6pm til midnight so it's not a really late finish, and everyone's doing 15 minute slots but I sorta feel I should be there for a big chunk to support. I'm debating whether it would be really anti-charismatic to just pray the rosary for a slot. I'm not sure if anyone would have issues with Hail Mary-ing and I don't want to offend. But in terms of contemplating the mysteries I think it's a great thing to do even if you don't consider Our Lady special.

ReputationRep:
    Grrr just burnt my hand on our stupid oven again! I never burn my hand at home, but I've burnt my hand several times on the one here! Partly it's because it has a door that opens sideways and it always swings back as the hinges are so loose and catches my arm, but today it wans't the damn door for once. Someone has put the top shelf really high in the oven and i burnt the top of my hand while trying to put something on that shelf.

Having a bad day. Had to cancel my singing lesson (3rd one in 4weeks I've cancelled) as still really groggy and ill and unable to sing (but have a G&S rehearsal tonight at 8pm that I have to sing at anyways!). My problem sheet was hard and I don't understand things other people do and now that we just have one class every fortnight for this module organised by the department it's harder to get help on topics I struggle with. And now my hand really hurts where I burnt it.

Thank god I'm going home on Friday afternoon for the night - it'll be nice to get away from the Oxford bubble and just go home and walk the dogs and ride my horse.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hold off the hail mary's if i were you - quite a lot of people find it unbiblical, especially in CU. Things like the creed and the lord's prayer are common to pretty much everyone though, and reflecting on Jesus is always a good thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    I'd hold off the hail mary's if i were you - quite a lot of people find it unbiblical, especially in CU. Things like the creed and the lord's prayer are common to pretty much everyone though, and reflecting on Jesus is always a good thing!
    I'm confused as to how you can be against the hail mary but for the creed. The creed's well unbiblical, communion of saints, Holy Catholic Church etc..

ReputationRep:
    That's what I don't get... I mean I can totally understand people saying that there's no evidence for Immaculate Conception and that they don't think Our Lady is special except as the mother of Our Lord... but the Hail Mary is mainly just asking for her to intercess...

ReputationRep:
    My view would be that she's dead right now, so can't really do that much. In any case i don't understand why you'd need her to intercess- the whole point of Jesus dying was so that our sins can be forgiven so we can have a direct relationship with God and not need to have a human priest as a go between- Jesus is our high priest. I don't understand praying to Mary or anyone else but God/Jesus, frankly, and can't work where it comes from. It's not a Jewish practice, and it's not mentioned in the gospels or the epistles. Because of this i don't think it's right, and wouldn't do it myself.

As far as i understand it, and certainly from a reformed point of view, 'Holy catholic church' just means the universal church of believers and the 'communion of saints' is just those united through Jesus. Saint in the biblical sense is someone who's been baptised. I take it to be an ecuminical statement that the true church is a much greater thing than st.ebbe's (say) and that i'm part of a much greater body of everyone who believes in Jesus as their saviour, whether they go to an anglican, baptist or whatever church. What's important is that they acknowledge Jesus as their lord and saviour.

There are always going to be disagreements between people over the right way to do things, and hence why we have so many denominations. Some people put more emphthasis of some things more than others, but ultimately i'm happy to fellowship and work with anyone aknowledges Jesus as their lord and saviour, and is genuinely looking to follow him as best they can. My co-rep in lincoln CU for example goes to some crazy happy clappy church. We're don't agree on everything, and frankly could have some full blown arguments over some points, but we are both fundementally believe the same things and get on really well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Do you guys want your own thread? Because I'm about to interrupt the flow of your discussion to talk about the RSL librarians.

I was trying to get a book that was apparently behind the desk on level 2, and the librarian was wearing a black frock coat, wing collar shirt and black cravat, with a little blue pin in it, and a white carnation. I wondered if the staff were on some kind of time-warp Wednesday until I saw everyone else was in jeans. Anyone else spotted this guy?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.