Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    The way Oriel were booed was so unsportsman-like, I was really embarrassed
    Were they? Not down our end - how restrained!
    But unsportsman-like is probably a word quite a few people would use for their college*/boat club & since before the whole 'I'm at Oxford' saga of this year...
    *in a boat club context - not in general! e.g. the nature of the 'sledging' from their supporters on banks in previous years.

Congratulations to Balliol M1 - very exciting race! & to Osler-Green W1 - for defying the numpties in student sports journalism.

ReputationRep:
    This should really be a rowing thread.

Gawd, rowing. Entirely flummoxes me. Probably the most boring kind of racing. Decent atmosphere, though. Well done on that.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    This should really be a rowing thread.

Gawd, rowing. Entirely flummoxes me. Probably the most boring kind of racing. Decent atmosphere, though. Well done on that.
    I was really impressed by the atmosphere (but then, I've never seen racing before first-hand) Lincoln M1 also seemed to have things quite good, they had girls attending to their every need - Wadham got our bargees...

ReputationRep:
    I have to say i prefer it when it's quieter and not quite so packed out. Its more peaceful and you're more involved in the action somehow. I went twice today, once when it was quiet and once for M1, and it was much more enjoyable when it was quiet, even though there was a buzz when it was busy.

ReputationRep:
    Now, if F1 was done by "bumps". That'd work.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Now, if F1 was done by "bumps". That'd work.
    haha, Spa 98 comes close:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=899GmWFuOAE

ReputationRep:
    Oh, rowing's completely overrated as a spectator sport. Don't get me wrong, i love it, but that's because i've been involved with it a long time and know the effort that goes into it- no other sport in oxford is taken so seriously on a college level. But for someone to come down and watch and drink pimms to, i really can't see the appeal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    Oh, rowing's completely overrated as a spectator sport. Don't get me wrong, i love it, but that's because i've been involved with it a long time and know the effort that goes into it- no other sport in oxford is taken so seriously on a college level. But for someone to come down and watch and drink pimms to, i really can't see the appeal.
    I don't think anyone would if they didn't have friends they knew to support, I certainly wouldn't I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    Gah my printer won't work! It was working fine yesterday, but today it's just refusing to print - I don't think my computer can detect the printer as it tries to open the printer connection but fails and at one point it popped up with the error: "USB Over Current" saying that the current device was using too much current! I've just restarting both printer and computer several times to know avail.

Anyone know why it might not be working (I'm on a Mac)

(Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Gah my printer won't work! It was working fine yesterday, but today it's just refusing to print - I don't think my computer can detect the printer as it tries to open the printer connection but fails and at one point it popped up with the error: "USB Over Current" saying that the current device was using too much current! I've just restarting both printer and computer several times to know avail.

Anyone know why it might not be working (I'm on a Mac)
    I think you've answered your own question :p:

More seriously, trying resetting the PMU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morbo)
    More seriously, trying resetting the PMU.
    Thanks for suggestion, but I'm on a Macbook Pro rather than a powerbook and can't find any info about resetting the PMU for them. Any ideas?

Have just tried plugging another USB device into laptop and it works fine :confused: so it's just the printer.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got loads of things plugged in to your usb? The USB bus guarantees to provide a limited amount of power and maybe other things on it are using up too much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LennonMcCartney)
    Have you got loads of things plugged in to your usb? The USB bus guarantees to provide a limited amount of power and maybe other things on it are using up too much?
    Nope nothing else plugged in to usb at all (only using my mouse which is bluetooth)

Just had a friend look at it who knows macs and he reckons it's the printer that's the problem. It's also a combined scanner so we tried to scan something and see if the printer can communicate with the mac and it didn't work either. Tried another USB cable and printer still doesn't work, but if I plug other things into my mac's usb sockets it seems perfectly happy (and I've tried unplugging and plugging my printer in several other times and I don't get that error again). Oh well, I don't need my printer that desperately, so i'll just use the college printer.

ReputationRep:
    have you tried plugging the printer into another computer, to see if that worked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    have you tried plugging the printer into another computer, to see if that worked?
    Thought about that, but when I tried to use the printer on someone else's laptop a while ago we couldn't get it to work without the installation software which is sadly on a CD sitting at home (can't find it online anywhere to download either).

ReputationRep:
    might be worth trying to plug it in anyway- even if you can't get it set up properly, if it's working you should get some response from it (the little 'new hardware detected' bubbles that pop up in the right hand corner).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The laundry in college breaks in the middle of finals - the domestic bursar washes her hands of it, as it's the SU laundry, and it's up to us to get it fixed.

It's a bank holiday and people need to wash sub-fusc, you'd think she'd show some compassion...

ReputationRep:
    One set of sub fusc components + sink with hot water & washing powder = easily cleaned?

ReputationRep:
    I've done something to my elbow but I don't know how! It's really swollen, full of fluid and hurts to move! But I haven't played any sport in a while (except going running) so I don't know why it's like this but it really hurts!!!!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.