Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Chloe, have you tried selling them on abebooks? You might have more luck there

ReputationRep:
    Great news about your college mothers, Athena *insert "Athena has two mummies - how typically Wadham" joke here*

Are you thinking about research yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Naw Athena has 2 mummies because only girls do Biology :p:

I have an audition tomorrow which I am completley unprepared for (bloody singing teachers who leave and go to the Academy in Rome) and have discovered the joys of recording myself in my laptop which, while allowing me to actually assess myself objectively, allow me to pick out every tiny little flaw. And all the gaping ones too
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hehe, plenty of people think it's funny as well - but the really shocking thing (:p:) isn't (in Wadham terms) that I have two mums, but that they both do (or did) the same subject - incest!!

I am thinking about research (in fact, one of my mothers is doing pretty much my dream project...), but I'm not committing myself to anything until I've done my lab project (eek, not long now...), in case I absolutely hate it/am terrible at it - if I can't enjoy it for 5 weeks, I definitely won't enjoy three/four years.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Boo, half of Wadham's biologists are male :p: Not that you'd want any of them for a college father, frankly (except maybe Ben... but he picked up and dropped his college daughter at the Freshers bop, and split her chin open, so perhaps you want Ben as a college dad least of all!)

ReputationRep:
    But they're Wadham students Athena- what does that tell you?

ReputationRep:
    At least you have mummies. At Hilda's we have a big sister in the year above, and a little sister in the year below - but there were too few medics in the year below me, so I don't have a little sis

I just got a £100 cheque in the post from college - my room deposit I paid way back in first year has been refunded! A very welcome surprise given that my laptop broke last weekend

ReputationRep:
    I had 4 daddies and 2 mummies, I'm special

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twistme)
    I had 4 daddies and 2 mummies, I'm special
    Any reason for the disproportionate number? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josepharthur)
    Any reason for the disproportionate number? :confused:
    At Balliol everyone gets both subject parents and general parents. Being joint schools, I got general parents, maths parents, and computing parents (two dads due to the lack of girls )
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wow, trying to go out as a family for lunch/dinner must have been a pain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Wow, trying to go out as a family for lunch/dinner must have been a pain!
    We had the slightly more amusing event that is "the massively extended family dinner" for that read circa 17 people. That must have been quite interesting to organise! Oh...and I come from a gender confused college family (2 college fathers both of whom are chemists). They're clearly the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what it's like in other colleges, or whether we were like this as a year group, too, but do you find in jcr business and stuff that the first years are all really biassed towards their own? I guess it's only natural to some extent, but it's just pissed me off a bit recently- eg. the cookie fairies were elected entirely with the support of the first years, despite them having no kitchen of their own and no knowledge of baking, against a group of 2nd years who will have their own kitchen and clearly like their food, shall we say, so will actually be able to make decent cookies. And the new welfare rep decided to ignore a long standing policy of first allocating college children to 2nd years who missed out the year before to prioritise first years.

I'm pretty sure we weren't so partisan- certainly OL was never elected to do anything (except ball president but he was a 2nd year by that point and then it was a choice of him or no ball at all).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Our first year (well, the year below me...) are just devastatingly Tory, and don't seem to understand why the rest of the college don't like it

Ah well, only one more term of SU meetings, and then someone else can spam the student body with circulars and agendas, and I can actually do something with my Sunday nights...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    I don't know what it's like in other colleges, or whether we were like this as a year group, too, but do you find in jcr business and stuff that the first years are all really biassed towards their own? I guess it's only natural to some extent, but it's just pissed me off a bit recently- eg. the cookie fairies were elected entirely with the support of the first years, despite them having no kitchen of their own and no knowledge of baking, against a group of 2nd years who will have their own kitchen and clearly like their food, shall we say, so will actually be able to make decent cookies. And the new welfare rep decided to ignore a long standing policy of first allocating college children to 2nd years who missed out the year before to prioritise first years.
    I'm pretty sure we weren't so partisan- certainly OL was never elected to do anything (except ball president but he was a 2nd year by that point and then it was a choice of him or no ball at all).
    Are you married? No.
    Were there other married, first years who do CompSci? Yes.
    Did they get there before you? Yes.
    Are they probably more suitable? Yes.
    Is it a bit petty to get annoyed about it? Yes.

It's easy to make friends with first years and "adopt them" as it were. About 10 of the freshers call me Mummy Kate :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisti_kate)
    About 10 of the freshers call me Mummy Kate :p:
    That's actually the cutest thing I've ever heard. In a perfect world, we'd all call you that, probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    That's actually the cutest thing I've ever heard. In a perfect world, we'd all call you that, probably.

I am just that cool. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quistis)
    At least you have mummies. At Hilda's we have a big sister in the year above, and a little sister in the year below - but there were too few medics in the year below me, so I don't have a little sis
    I've always thought of it as you budding asexually, like yeast.

ReputationRep:
    Are you married? No.
    Were there other married, first years who do CompSci? Yes.
    Did they get there before you? Yes.
    Are they probably more suitable? Yes.
    Is it a bit petty to get annoyed about it? Yes.
    I'm not too bothered about not having children, it was just that Zanna gave her a list of people who missed out on children last year (just as alfie had given her a list) and she decided to ignore it, which just seemed a bit contemptible.

Of course none of this would have been a problem had peter not jilted me for my tute partner at the last minute. *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    I've always thought of it as you budding asexually, like yeast.
    Hilda's girls, asexual? You don't know us at all

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.