The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sophisti_kate
Why do colleges put conference guests ahead of finalists grrrrr??!! They might as well not bother having students in the first place if all they want to do is to make money....

I NEED to move into my room mid-August to do work for my thesis but that ain't going to happen apparently. I live on the continent so I can't really go swanning up and down to Oxford whenever I bloody feel like it.

Kate is cross.

They don't just want to make money. The money they get from conference guests is what pays to keep our rents low. Fewer conferences = higher rents. I'll admit sometimes the priorities can be a little off, but our rents are directly scaled to the number of conference guests that college takes in over the year.

Out of interest though when did you ask them? I mean I thought it was ridiculous that my tute partner couldn't get time in college despite there being 21 days allocated to biology and me not needing any, but she applied well before the deadline. You kinda sound like this is only just becoming a problem...
Athena
You could try for accommodation at another college (eg, try Wadham's Merifield accommodation - just email our accommodation manager) or share with someone living out whose contract starts early - that's what I'm doing.

That's a good idea! I'll investigate tomorrow. Is it self-catering? I'm still hoping I can move in mid-September but that leaves about a month to fill. :rolleyes:

Bekaboo
hey don't just want to make money. The money they get from conference guests is what pays to keep our rents low. Fewer conferences = higher rents. I'll admit sometimes the priorities can be a little off, but our rents are directly scaled to the number of conference guests that college takes in over the year.

Out of interest though when did you ask them? I mean I thought it was ridiculous that my tute partner couldn't get time in college despite there being 21 days allocated to biology and me not needing any, but she applied well before the deadline. You kinda sound like this is only just becoming a problem...

Well I specifically asked Beau if I could move into Mus during the summer and he said that was fine. Thankfully, I did put in a Vac.Res form for mid Sept as a back-up but I don't think I heard anything back and didn't query that because I assumed it was only college/Mitre/Bear Lane/EPA that was rented out to fat Americans. So it probably is my fault, but I wish college would understand that finalists have to have some flexibility... :frown:
Reply 4702
sophisti_kate
That's a good idea! I'll investigate tomorrow. Is it self-catering? I'm still hoping I can move in mid-September but that leaves about a month to fill. :rolleyes:

Yup, it's in flats of four or five, with two bathrooms per flat and a full kitchen/dining/living area.
Athena

Yup, it's in flats of four or five, with two bathrooms per flat and a full kitchen/dining/living area.

And they just accept randomers from other colleges? lol...
Reply 4704
sophisti_kate
And they just accept randomers from other colleges? lol...

Frankly, they struggle to fill it (it's in Summertown) as it's not really suitable for conference guests. It's worth a shot. The university accommodation office will also help you find somewhere, if you drop them an email.
Reply 4705
OldMan
OOTB, the Gargoyles and and other choirs are performing at the Edinburgh fringe in August which would make it impossible for them to have made the final stages of Last Choir Standing. In additition I think the auditions stage was right in the middle of exams! Thus a number of 'old boys' from a number of the choirs got together to form Last Minute.

Actually, there were no current OOTB members in it (there were a few weeks ago) just a few current Gargoyles (2 IIRC), who are only doing the last two weeks of August. So it would have been possible.
Oh, and Simon has been in it but wasn't in the last show.

I thought they did well, but their 'survival' song :no:. They also lacked the personal interest some of the other choirs had, which I think let them down. By that I just mean it wasn't like their lives depended on going through, and some of the others just wanted it more.
I want to go to Oxford now, I'm bored. I want to be a drunken student again
vapid slut magician
I want to go to Oxford now, I'm bored. I want to be a drunken student again

I don't want to leave :nope:
Reply 4708
I now have a folder on my laptop for dissertation stuff :afraid:
Elles
I do! :yep:

yeah but you've been here forever :p:
Reply 4710
I feel better about leaving the uni cause I'm staying in Oxford anyway. And I'll have more money :smile:

Don't suppose anyone has a bike they want to sell?
hmmm im wondering whether to get a bike. I don't know where I'm living yet so I guess it'd make sense to find that out first.
Reply 4712
F1 fanatic
I don't want to leave :nope:

I don't want to have left. Oxford was lovely. Though it's not the same when you don't know everyone in college and have 100 friends living within 5 minutes walk of your room.
Drogue
I don't want to have left. Oxford was lovely. Though it's not the same when you don't know everyone in college and have 100 friends living within 5 minutes walk of your room.

That was never my experience of Cambridge which is why I'm glad I'm not there anymore.
Reply 4714
vapid slut magician
That was never my experience of Cambridge which is why I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

Which college were you at? I didn't like my (Oxford) college either, so I'm glad to have left :s-smilie:
Reply 4715
Blargh, I'm back in Oxford today. Getting quite nervous about tomorrow :s-smilie:
Quistis
Which college were you at? I didn't like my (Oxford) college either, so I'm glad to have left :s-smilie:

Trinity. I did like the college, I just didn't really have friends there, they were mostly at other colleges.
Reply 4717
Athena
Blargh, I'm back in Oxford today. Getting quite nervous about tomorrow :s-smilie:

Ah - you're starting your lab monkey phase this week?
Reply 4718
cpchem
Ah - you're starting your lab monkey phase this week?

Yep - a lab meeting, and then a crash course in PCR optimisation and DNA analysis...
Reply 4719
vapid slut magician
Trinity. I did like the college, I just didn't really have friends there, they were mostly at other colleges.

Fair enough. I only really had one close friend at my college, and the rest were scattered around elsewhere. I was at a women's college, and I get on best with blokes, so it was doomed from the start really. On the plus side, with my vast array of male friends, I was a celebrated matchmaker, and set up at least two Hilda's girls with my guy friends :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending