Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    a subject that loves tourists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    I have an exam tomorrow. What kind of ridiculous subject makes you do exams, fully kitted out in the Exam Schools, a week before Christmas?
    The same subject that makes Christmas unofficial Study Leave for the final finals of doom in the last year? :bawling:

(I'm sure we didn't do Lab Medicine in the Exam Schools or sub fusc, weird.)

ReputationRep:
    People should defer their degree more often. Turns out life in oxford without work is fun!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by cor)
    People should defer their degree more often. Turns out life in oxford without work is fun!

Even with Union tribunals to contend with? I can't believe Omkar isn't bored of the Union already, hasn't he spent the last year thesping instead?

ReputationRep:
    Argh, quite disturbing. Walked into Hall tonight only to discover a picture of the *current* master staring down at us eating. Shouldn't he be retired or dead before he goes on the wall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    Argh, quite disturbing. Walked into Hall tonight only to discover a picture of the *current* master staring down at us eating. Shouldn't he be retired or dead before he goes on the wall?
    I had a large artistic photo of my college's top philosophy tutor on my wall for a year. He looked very stern and the eyes followed you wherever you went. Creeped out quite a lot of people.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Planning Varsity is doing my head in

ReputationRep:
    I've posted in a more relevant thread, but interested if anyone who's been around the interview period or has particularly sadistic tutors :p: knows any more about...

Rejections by telephone call?

I'm skeptical:
    - Why waste the time - informing about offers could be fun if you're a tutor that was that way inclined, but making even more calls to reject people wouldn't be as fun, surely unless there are Simon Cowell-esque interviewers. & redundancy - letter will arrive eventually anyway.
    - Need to keep things professional and official - especially with rejections when the likelihood of making complaints/running to the press is likely to be higher.

Although if an applicant specifically requested one because that was the only possible method of communication then maybe. But ADREAM knows "quite a few people who have been called up to say: 'Sorry, mate ... but you've been rejected...'" :eek:

Anyone else ever heard of anyone getting one of these?

ReputationRep:
    literally never heard of this happening. i can generalise any cases about people calling up for *offers* into two categories:

i) tutors who are new to oxford(/doing the admissions process, as opposed to being a postdoc, say), whose enthusiasm generally wanes a couple of years in.

ii) candidates who seemed exceptionally nervous. and by "exceptionally" i mean "making themselves ill" or equivalent.

on top of this, given some of the applicants i'd be amazed if this did happen and complaints didn't emerge pretty much immediately...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by probably not)
    literally never heard of this happening. i can generalise any cases about people calling up for *offers* into two categories:

i) tutors who are new to oxford(/doing the admissions process, as opposed to being a postdoc, say), whose enthusiasm generally wanes a couple of years in.

ii) candidates who seemed exceptionally nervous. and by "exceptionally" i mean "making themselves ill" or equivalent.

on top of this, given some of the applicants i'd be amazed if this did happen and complaints didn't emerge pretty much immediately...
    I got an offer by phonecall from a tutor who has been there for about 30 years, he didnt phone those who got rejected though (not saying he does it now if any of you keen applicants are reading this and getting stressed at the lack of call..).

And Charlotte, I take it those emails from the tutorial office are based on your comments on here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)

I think everyone just needs to consider for a moment how awkward that was for me and sjuthani. So... how did you meet your girlfriend? I uh oh uh....

[for anyone too young to know... go back to the start of this thread, where it all began ]
    Meh, it's never that bad! Though Helen never lets me say we met online. Though I suppost "met" does imply actually meeting, in which case the cover story (we met at one of my parties in Oxford) is entirely true accurate.

(Original post by thomasjtl)
    What do you reckon, athena- i can't decide whether her girdlebuster pie would just be ridiculously sickly or actually pretty nice.
    I actually read that first as sticky, and thought that getting the words girdlebuster and sticky in a sentence about Nigella made that the most awesome image ever.

Oh, and hi all. Haven't been in here for ages.

ReputationRep:
    *waves*

ReputationRep:
    ergh, why did the economy have to crash just in time for me to be applying for jobs, internships etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and yes- a sticky girdle and nigella sound like a fine combination. I love her food (although slightly let down by her love affair with beans) but she does get on my nerves after a while. Her pretending to have a hangover while cooking her morning after soup was truely cringeworthy.

ReputationRep:
    I know... there's a little part of me that really wants to believe she has a resident camera crew who she wakes up when she feels like cooking but the RT disabused me of the notion.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    I got an offer by phonecall from a tutor who has been there for about 30 years, he didnt phone those who got rejected though (not saying he does it now if any of you keen applicants are reading this and getting stressed at the lack of call..).

And Charlotte, I take it those emails from the tutorial office are based on your comments on here?

Or all the comments in general. An applicant to Cambridge (:lolwut:) complained... But only after I'd negged him. Odd, that.

ReputationRep:
    What's wadham been sending round? "Please don't discuss the applicants over the internet, you might upset them"?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    What's wadham been sending round? "Please don't discuss the applicants over the internet, you might upset them"?
    Yeah. Something about a judgemental atmosphere...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    *bump*

All the applicant threads pushed this off the first page

I think I might now be a Nigella disciple. Her white choc and banana muffins are :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Can we be judgmental now?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.