Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is Oxford. Even talk of boobs will eventually turn into a discussion of what they mean for our society and their place in modern feminism. So I predict.

ReputationRep:
    If purely verbal, perhaps. Discussions of boobs without pictures or real life tend to die pretty quickly, unless of the above type.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Argh, I only have ten days to hear from Cambridge and Leicester whether or not I have an interview. Meep :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    What am i supposed to put in a cover letter for a job which already has a massive online application form? I've just explained in a maximum of 250 words why i want to work in that area, what skills I have and why I want to work for that specific company (yeah, 'cos erm, they pay money and stuff).

(Original post by thomasjtl)
    What am i supposed to put in a cover letter for a job which already has a massive online application form? I've just explained in a maximum of 250 words why i want to work in that area, what skills I have and why I want to work for that specific company (yeah, 'cos erm, they pay money and stuff).
    I hate it when companies do this. In my opinion, you should either have to provide a CV & cover letter OR fill in an application form. Not both.

I say just summarise what you wrote in the application form. Even copy/paste, if you've said good things in the app form. The cover letter should say:
    - how you came across the company
    - why you want to do the job
    - what you like about the company
    - how your skills match the job/company
    - dates you cannot be interviewed

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying for a computing job?

ReputationRep:
    yeah- internships in banks.

ReputationRep:

I'm having the exact same problem with law firms. I tend to write the covering letter first then expand on what I said in it to answer the relevant questions. I think I only have the willpower to apply to 3 though, cant understand these people sending out 10 or so applications, I could never do it..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I can't even face job hunting as well atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    I'm having the exact same problem with law firms. I tend to write the covering letter first then expand on what I said in it to answer the relevant questions. I think I only have the willpower to apply to 3 though, cant understand these people sending out 10 or so applications, I could never do it..
    Average for banking tends to be nearer 20 I've heard many students say "I would have got a better mark if I hadn't spent the whole term filling out application forms". Struck me as weird. I applied to 4 internships (plus the fulbright scholarship) and that seemed like quite a bit of a hassle. Especially when many jobs have 50:1+ applicants to place ratios. Filling out 20 and getting no offers would kill, but by all odds, it happens to quite a few people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Average for banking tends to be nearer 20 I've heard many students say "I would have got a better mark if I hadn't spent the whole term filling out application forms". Struck me as weird. I applied to 4 internships (plus the fulbright scholarship) and that seemed like quite a bit of a hassle. Especially when many jobs have 50:1+ applicants to place ratios. Filling out 20 and getting no offers would kill, but by all odds, it happens to quite a few people.

Oh dear.. Did you get a place? Hopefully should be OK, as have decent law ECs and am avoiding magic circle, and tbh the 3 im applying for are the 3 that I think I'd actually enjoy working at from having met the employees. Anyway, if not there's always the army or teaching..

ReputationRep:
    It is such a pain applying. I'm applying to around 15 (although for internships). I just cannot afford to not have a job, so have to hedge my bets. I save all my application forms, as sometimes its the same questions - so copy and paste with editing is usually fine.

The real shame is I only actually would want to work fulltime for four of them

ReputationRep:
    yeah- internships in banks.
    I've still got the covering letter I wrote for my job (java developer) if it would help you to have a look. It's not for banking though

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.. Did you get a place? Hopefully should be OK, as have decent law ECs and am avoiding magic circle, and tbh the 3 im applying for are the 3 that I think I'd actually enjoy working at from having met the employees. Anyway, if not there's always the army or teaching..
    I know the feeling with law firms. Applications are a complete pain.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Anyone want to meet up in 1st/2nd week?

ReputationRep:
    Can I come? *bounces*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Me, I'm in Oxford 16/17/18th

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.. Did you get a place?
    Yep, hence no grad apps and my current job

Corey: you will get a place. FFS, you have a better CV than anyone else I know, even possibly including Sam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    I'd still have no clue who you were :o:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by cor)
    I'd still have no clue who you were :o:

Then turn up to whatever we organise when Will's here, and see if you recognise me or not, and if you don't, you'll at least know who I am for future occasions :p:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.